Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I play through two amps at once?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I play through two amps at once?

I'm going to be owning my second amp of my life within the next week or two. I've played with my first amp for these past four years it was THAT nice.

I don't want to think about getting rid of it yet, so I'm entertaining the thought of playing through both amps at the same time.

What would I need to accomplish this? A Y-cable to split the signal? Would I lose signal or anything like this?

Or perhaps I can use my GT-6? It has a left and right stereo out, so that might be cool to run guitar into GT-6 and out to the two amps. But what if I want to play the amps "cleanly" without actually using the GT-6 for anything, and instead using the GT-6 as my "Y-cable" splitting thingy.

Again, I know nothing, so please explain in layman's terms what I might be able to do. Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: How can I play through two amps at once?

1. You can use any stereo effect pedal (anything with two outputs); chorus, delay, tuner, etc.

2. You can run the effects loop send of one amp to the input of the other amp.

3. You can run the effects loop send of one amp into the effects return of the other amp (though, that renders the preamp section of the second amp useless and you'll only be able to get your preamp sound from the first amp).

That's all I can think of at the moment. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

use an a/b pedal that has an ab option it will send two identical signals out you can put in two different amps.

Comment

Yup, and ABY box or any stereo pedal (EB and Dunlop have stereo volume pedals) or just use the GT-6 and set it to Bypass.
        Some boutique pedals offer "true bypass", but the prices....

I made one out of an old MXR case - gutted it and mounted two outputs in the knob holes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        The beauty of it was that you could use it as a 1-in/2-out splitter or a 2-in/1-out combiner [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Okay, the ABY box idea sounds good and I can't believe I forgot about it. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I also remembered that Dunlop used to have one on their website (www.jimdunlop.com) but I can't find it anymore! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

What are your opinions on this Morley?

http://morleypedals.com/daby.html

It says something about not using them on powered speakers... am I okay? I know nothing and I'm pretty ashamed... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't use it on powered speaker lines - meaning don't run it between your head and cabinet to select between cabs. The box will not treat the load from the amp like a cabinet, and the head will fry. As well, the sudden burst of power from the box to the cab will blow the speakers (very loud thump/pop sound, and then the speaker dies from the impact).
            It's ok to use it to select two full amps, but not to switch two heads between one cab or one head between two cabs, as you'd have to run the amp's speaker out into it.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

george lynch has an "ABC" pedal with an output knob labeled "boost"

might be worth checking out.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yup, the George Lynch box is also a Morley product:

http://morleypedals.com/dtripler.html

Thanks Newc, I guess I don't have to worry then since I'll be wanting to run both combos' inputs at the same time. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

You can use anything mentioned here, EXCEPT a simple Y cable. A Y cable will degrade your signal.

Comment

I'd opt for at least a Whirlwind for an A/B box. People have problems with those Morleys.

Comment

http://www.americanmusical.com/item-...brand-231.html

i was actual;ly thinking of that one when i posted but i dont know how nice their stuff is either.

chris

Comment

i get a ground loop hum or something when using the morley. don't get that one.
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I had good luck with the Whirlwind A/B box.

I have a Voodoo Labs Amp selctor (which is a 1x4 or A/B/C/D) and it works out really well. What I like is each output has a level control so I can balance out the 4 amps I use. Also each has a ground lift if you do a ground problem. Its silent switching too.
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            silent shaitching

[/ QUOTE ]
                            What the hell is that?!? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

heheh...what you talkin bout Joe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Multi-tasking and making all sorts of typos
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X