Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading my rack...

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my rack. Currently I have an Engl 530 pre-amp, G-Major and Marshall 8008 poweramp.

First of all I'm looking for a decent poweramp. Been doubting between the VHT 2/50/2 and the Engl 930/60. I've always been infatuated by the VHT for some reason but now I have the chance to buy a 930/60 secondhanded.
    I mainly play metal but also some Jazz/ blues/fusion and 'ordinary' clean stuff. I don't know if either poweramp suits the heavier style more or if they deal with every style nicely?
    Maybe you have other suggestions?

Next is a powerconditioner, probably Furman.

For now the E530 pre-amp is fine but the E570 is the goal. I need a versatile rack (thus surely a versatile pre-amp).

I'm not that impressed by the G-major's chorus, some suggested to look for the Line 6 Mod Pro. but I've heard it produces a lot of noise (hiss or so?). What do you think about it? Do you reccommend other units?

Also, I might (eventually) switch to the Lexicon MPX-1 but I heard it only works well when hooked up in parallel and therefor would need a line-mixer or so? (I'm not very familiar with technical stuff and don't always have a clue what everything serves for (like these mixers kind of things for example [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ). Again, what do you think of the MPX-1? (for replacing the G-Major that is)

Then a midi-floorboard. I was looking for the Behringer FCB 1010 but I've heard it's not that well built (crap was the exact word)and hard to programm so now I actually cancelled my 'order' (I was going to buy one secondhanded from someone I know). What about Midi Mate, All Access?

other stuff I will need? Mixers, midi-switch,...? Again, I'm a total noob (or how do you call it?) on technical stuff, sorry!

I was thinking of a 8U rack but I might need some spare room, maybe for a drawer and extra units (in the future) so 10-12units for sure?

I would use Mogami wire to connect everything.

Any other advice, perhaps you know other problems that may occur in a rack?
    This will be an investment that has to serve at least for 4 to 5 years untill I could do any major changes (due to studies...)

What do you think about this set-up?

Any help much (most?!) appreciated (and thanks for your patience [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

Re: upgrading my rack...

seems like you have it all worked out, sounds good to me.

On the lighter side i keep trying to get my girlfriend to upgrade her rack too!

Comment

Also get a BBE and a wireless system. The wireless is great at preventing unwanted shocks and Grim Reaper visits...........

Comment

Upgrading your rack? Go silicone not saline
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

The VHT 2150 and 2902 are both excellent poweramps. I'd go for one of those.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            The VHT 2150 and 2902 are both excellent poweramps. I'd go for one of those

[/ QUOTE ]

seems a little overkill for my needs (and my wallet [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img])

what is BBE exactly?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Upgrading your rack? Go silicone not saline

[/ QUOTE ]
              LOL I was going to post almost the same thing... except saline is safer than silicone! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

BBE sonic maximizer

Comment

Yeah, with good equipment like Engl preamps, and VHT or Engl amps, I wouldn't bother with a BBE, it will just degrade the tone. They're better used with lesser amps to improve upon their sonic shortcomings. In a high end system, I'd stay away from them.

Comment

tnx so far [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Yeah, with good equipment like Engl preamps, and VHT or Engl amps, I wouldn't bother with a BBE, it will just degrade the tone. They're better used with lesser amps to improve upon their sonic shortcomings. In a high end system, I'd stay away from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fully agree....

I would say stick with the ENGL Power Amp over the 2/50/2
                      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fully agree....

I would say stick with the ENGL Power Amp over the 2/50/2

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Comment

930/60 is an awesome amp!!
                          I heard the bass-boost should blow you away and will make your bass-player feel job-less... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          and I like it's having two channels midi-switchable.
                          features are A+ on this one!!

about the behringer, there's alway people who complain about behringer, I guess it's mostly those who bought one of the "original" products like POD or other units they copied from, and is now disappointed they could have had a unit very close to it, with way less cash.
                          would frustrate myself... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

but I never had anything to complain about with behringer units. and building quality the least. my FCB1010 looks more than trustable. if you don't plan to smash any skulls with it on daily basis, you won't have to expect problems IMO.

and about the difficula programming;
                          I have no use for the two pedals on it, that said, but all the other functions I had working after let's say 10-15 minutes having that thing out of the box. and it was my first midi unit at all.
                          really can't say it's hard to use.
                          you should be able to read of course, since they didn't put an audio disc of the users manual in the box, but once you understand setting a new program is an ease.

but sounds like some real nice ideas there!! great choices!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          good luck with it///
                          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Working...
                          X