Uberschall the good bad and ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Uberschall the good bad and ugly

I got to compare an Uber and a Powerball - friend of mine had em. I liked VHTs better than either... but of the two, I liked the Uber more. The Powerball just had a 'solid state' kinda thing happening. I'm looking forward to the Bill Z Review ;0

Pete

Comment

Really Pete ...you preferred the Uber over the Powerball...cool.

well , I always did gravitate toward amps with 6l6 to be honest..

I will give a totally unbiased and honest opinion ...when I get them side by side..

The only VHT I played was a CL w/o EQ...and I LOVED it...total Van Halen tone and feel ...which is like a broken in shoe for me..but it wasn't nearly as "heavy" as the Bogner..that I remember!

The Uber is heavy as hell but it doesn't sound like no Van Halen.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

as a matter of fact I can't exactly say what or who it sounds like...its just heavy ..it has its own voice.

It can easily get into Zakk Wydle territory...i can get the best pinch harmonics with this bastage..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I played both the Classic and the ultralead at guitar center a few years back, damn that UL had distortions like you wouldnt believe and i get so tempted to buy the one for sale on this board all the time. But as age catches up with me i find myself listening to more rock music then metal and i am afraid it would just sit there.

Comment

VHT stuff is very nice..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Horns, if you get a chance try the fireball, to my ears, its got a more open and less compressed sound to it, bit more grind too (Compared to the powerball)....brutal as hell!

Comment

Dude , I wish I had the chance..

Since that dude John and I know is a local Engl endorsee ...maybe that could be arranged???!!! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Pete are you sure about throwing the 6L6 style tubes in and EL34 amp? I think you need to mod the bias supply to do that don't you? I know you have to mod the bias supply on the SLO to throw EL34's in that. Also I think Bogner originally built the first few Uber's with 6L6 style tubes but switched because Rienhold Bogner prefered the EL34's. That's IIRC. I remembered a bunch of dissappointed people because supposedly the 6L6 version was better in there opinion.

Bill you can also get a THD hotplate run it as zero attenuation and use the direct out of that into John's VHT. And you'd only be able to run 2 of the KT88's or 6550's in the Uber because they would break the 100 Watt limit your transformer has if you loaded it up with 4.

John Tung Sol has a new 6550 out that is supposedly exact specs as the vintage one they built in the 60's and 70's. If you are looking to experiment with power tubes you may want to give those a try. I was going to try two in my SLO and see how they sound. They are supposedly a bit warmer than KT88's and will put out less output wattage than the 88's. 30 watts per 6550 as opposed to the 50 the 88's have.
                We must!
                We must!
                We must increase the bust!
                The bigger the better!
                The tighter the sweater!
                The boys are counting on us!

Comment

This has been a great thread! Bill having owned my Powerball and playing the Uber I give a slight edge to teh Uber but I couldn't really crank the amp... I am interested in the shootout and what John and you report back on..

Siggy I think the UL is a great rock amp... You would have no problems with it IMO it lacks a little gain... It is ahrd to say but right now it looks like mine might stay with me... The beast is tighter than a Virgin on prom night no doubt my 7 string sounds amazing through it.. I just have to figure out a way to get good thuds off my pal mutesThe amp is too responsive
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    There is No line out on the Uber ...so that is not an option.

I wish it were...I would love to hear my preamp section into John's VHT 2150 w / KT88s...I KNOW that would sound good!!

What are you talking about? From the Bogner manual:

6. Line Out jack: We have offered a padded down (lower output) non-equalized power-amp line out.

Its right beside the footswitch jacks on the back!

Comment

Special Ed Bill has an older model and maybe the older doesn't have the line out?
                      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

but I do have a very large PP..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Hey Pete are you sure about throwing the 6L6 style tubes in and EL34 amp? I think you need to mod the bias supply to do that don't you? I know you have to mod the bias supply on the SLO to throw EL34's in that. Also I think Bogner originally built the first few Uber's with 6L6 style tubes but switched because Rienhold Bogner prefered the EL34's. That's IIRC. I remembered a bunch of dissappointed people because supposedly the 6L6 version was better in there opinion.

Bill you can also get a THD hotplate run it as zero attenuation and use the direct out of that into John's VHT. And you'd only be able to run 2 of the KT88's or 6550's in the Uber because they would break the 100 Watt limit your transformer has if you loaded it up with 4.

John Tung Sol has a new 6550 out that is supposedly exact specs as the vintage one they built in the 60's and 70's. If you are looking to experiment with power tubes you may want to give those a try. I was going to try two in my SLO and see how they sound. They are supposedly a bit warmer than KT88's and will put out less output wattage than the 88's. 30 watts per 6550 as opposed to the 50 the 88's have.

[/ QUOTE ]

6550s, at least the 'vintage' ones, have the same specs as KT88s regarding wattage.

And as far as biasing, some supplies are built with enough range to take it - the mod for a bias supply is to change one resistor. Not a big deal. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, here's the KT88 specs...

Pete

Comment

Hey Cleve, How can you say that the Uber has a bad effects loop? I know its not the best for pedals but with my g force its great. All you have to do is crank your master volume that also acts as your send level and work your channel volume to the desired playing volume. Hey I guess tone is very subjective but when it comes to brutal metal the uber is the king.

Comment

my G major sure sounds awesome in the loop...but that is the only thing I use in the loop.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

and I concur that the Uber DOES have the most "Brutal" sound that I ever heard so far...up close and personal.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Horns, The Uber is great and cannot be replaced for what it was built for. I also read that someone said it doesnt have a line out??? Mine does right on the back of it. Look,the uber might not be for everyone and im not trying to preach shit to everyone and say it is. When it comes to build quality and tone this is one of the best. Ive tried a bunch of heads and for straight out metal this baby rules. You can go from 80s metal to straight out death metal with this.

Comment

Working...
                                X