• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Uberschall the good bad and ugly

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Very nice topic!

Anyway, and i know it will sound a little crazy, but has anyone tried a tube screamer or any other kind of overdrive pedal with it? if so, how was your experience?
    I know it's got more than enough gain, but I'm just courios as It's worked well for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It tightens the amp up in a big way and pretty much eliminates the sag. Makes it cut thru much better too.

[/ QUOTE ]That's exactely my case, too. Plus, it sounds a little crispier.

Comment

I guess we know what Bill will asking for soon....

Comment

you call keep knocking the recto, but truth be told the recto can be a killer amp with the right settings and depending on what style of music you are playing. I tried the uber once and couldnt get it cranked, but to me there wasnt to much difference from the uber to the newer 3 channel recto's. They both have sick gain, the only difference is the uber is voiced more for lead where the recto's are voiced more towards rythem/detuned music when you get it that heavy. What i like about the recto's better is there versitility over the uber, however i have been thinking of picking up a uber just for pure out lead metal! By the way i have one of the original recto's now and let me tell you they are not as heavy as the newer recto's, hell my roadking is heavier then the original recto and the roadking is designed to be more of a versitile amp.

Comment

Hey Guys, another cool tip for Uber owners;
          try putting a 12AU7 in V1 and a 12AT7 in the phase inverter position. Instant mid-gain authentic classic rock tones. Very organic too. I was amazed the first time I tried this. I play metal 90% of the time, both for those rare occasions when I want to mellow out and play some Zep, this little trick really gets me there!

Comment

Re: Jack Frost, Gear Whore

Horns,

Have you ever tried any of the diezel amps? Any of you uber users ever play a diezel amp, and if so how did it compare to the uber?

Comment

I played both @ NAMM and have had a few occasions to play Diezels I like diezels but I liked the Uber more myself. I got to play a VH4 in a store where a guy was going back and forth with his VH4 and a Vetta 2 and he actually decided to go with the Vetta in the end but he let me play the VH4 while he played the vetta
              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I would take Recto or Diezel over Uber anyday, but still Uber is a great amp, I like it more than ENGLs, by far more.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Horns,

Have you ever tried any of the diezel amps? Any of you uber users ever play a diezel amp, and if so how did it compare to the uber?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sold a Diezel Herbert in order to get the Uber. There's one guy that lurks on various forums that just cannot bear to hear any critisism of the Herbert, so I can't go into too much detail. I'll say if versatility, transparent cleans, and liquid leads are your thing, get the Herbert. For bone crushing rhythm, the Uber takes the cake hands down. Yes the Herbert has as much gain as the Uber (probably more) and as much low end, but the voicing and especially feel of the Herbert make it much less effective for thrash and death metal rhythm styles. The Herbert simply feels too liquidy and spongy, wheras the Uber feels very stiff. Thats what you need for rhythm.

I think both amps sound radically different. The Herbert has tonns of low end, a VERY pronouced scoop in the low mids (even without the midcut feature) and a metallic sounding 'clank' in the upper mids/highs. The Uber has tons of low end as well, a huge boost in the lower mids, and a warm and slightly fuzzy midrange/high end.

To sum it up, both amps sound pretty 'modern', but the Uber is just far more organic and real sounding to me.

Comment

i want to try an ENGL pretty bad. i love the scorpions' tones and the sound the EDGUY's get....but i'd still want a killer clean. i have to have both, killer clean and gain. i was thinking of the ENGL savage 120 or SE. any one use those?
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      There's one guy that lurks on various forums that just cannot bear to hear any critisism of the Herbert, so I can't go into too much detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can say whatever you want about amps in JCF, that lurker gets anal-raped if he starts biching here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        Horns,

[/ QUOTE ]

I sold a Diezel Herbert in order to get the Uber. There's one guy that lurks on various forums that just cannot bear to hear any critisism of the Herbert, so I can't go into too much detail. I'll say if versatility, transparent cleans, and liquid leads are your thing, get the Herbert. For bone crushing rhythm, the Uber takes the cake hands down. Yes the Herbert has as much gain as the Uber (probably more) and as much low end, but the voicing and especially feel of the Herbert make it much less effective for thrash and death metal rhythm styles. The Herbert simply feels too liquidy and spongy, wheras the Uber feels very stiff. Thats what you need for rhythm.

I think both amps sound radically different. The Herbert has tonns of low end, a VERY pronouced scoop in the low mids (even without the midcut feature) and a metallic sounding 'clank' in the upper mids/highs. The Uber has tons of low end as well, a huge boost in the lower mids, and a warm and slightly fuzzy midrange/high end.

To sum it up, both amps sound pretty 'modern', but the Uber is just far more organic and real sounding to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever had the chance to play with a VH4, i heard they are different creatures.

Comment

VH4 is awsome, haven't owned one and haven't played it more than a couple of minutes, but I was really impressed, I think I would like it more than Road King.

Comment

I've played a VH4. My local shop is the only Diezel dealer in three of the surrounding countries. It's the smallest shop on earth too! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The VH4 sounded great, it could slay with practically any tone I wanted to dial in and it wasn't too much a hassle to dial in. I'm not a fan of the super bling-bling look, though.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

ive played the vh4 and i liked it. i loved ch3 and i played the engl savage and se. i liked the se the best of all of them. i think the framus cobra kicks ass also. theres so many quality amps out there but not everybody gets to play them. i more than satified with my uber and powerball but someday i would like a vh4.

Comment

I never played any of the diezel stuff. I know it cost big money though. Im not knocking the recto, well ok I am. if it works for you thats great. I just really hate the Mesa gear. I guess after playing a triaxis,recto and a dc10 for so long and thinking that it was good tone, I finally had my ears hear good tone from the Bogner and my modded Marshalls. Im telling you once you get away from that mesa crap you will never go back to it. Sorry im not telling you what to like but I just really hate Mesa. Sounds like muffled mushy fuzz to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X