Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jack Frost, Gear Whore

[ QUOTE ]
    I never played any of the diezel stuff. I know it cost big money though. Im not knocking the recto, well ok I am. if it works for you thats great. I just really hate the Mesa gear. I guess after playing a triaxis,recto and a dc10 for so long and thinking that it was good tone, I finally had my ears hear good tone from the Bogner and my modded Marshalls. Im telling you once you get away from that mesa crap you will never go back to it. Sorry im not telling you what to like but I just really hate Mesa. Sounds like muffled mushy fuzz to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more!
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      I never played any of the diezel stuff. I know it cost big money though. Im not knocking the recto, well ok I am. if it works for you thats great. I just really hate the Mesa gear. I guess after playing a triaxis,recto and a dc10 for so long and thinking that it was good tone, I finally had my ears hear good tone from the Bogner and my modded Marshalls. Im telling you once you get away from that mesa crap you will never go back to it. Sorry im not telling you what to like but I just really hate Mesa. Sounds like muffled mushy fuzz to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more!

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand tone is very subjective, so what you think might be good tone might sound like ass to alot of people, also what i think might be good tone might also sound like ass to people. However look how many mesa recto's are in use compared to other amps. There is a huge difference between saying mesa rectos sound like ass and saying there tone is just not your style. Yes i take offence when you say they sound like crap, because if you cant get a good tone out of a mesa well then.... well i could go on here but i dont even think it is worth wasting my time on someone that seems to have there mind allready made up, just remember may not be your tone, that doesnt mean you have to trash it.

Comment

well this thread has finally come around IMHO. I havent seen as much anti-Uber chat on any forum as on the first few pages of this thread (I may be wrong, havent re-read it, but thats what I am remembering now). I have been so happy with my Uber, it is difficult to explain. The thing is so rich and deep and thick. The best metal tone I have ever played for sure. It always sounds very "big, rich and 3D" to me. The clean gets bitched about quite alot I will admit. But I kind of like it. It also is "big" sounding. Kind of plain I suppose, but it is very clear.

Some random thoughts from this thread:

Playing with Uber gain on full - Bill you are psycho! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Uber feels stiff? Dont think I've ever heard that description of the Uber, or any Bogner for that matter.

Not versatile? Get a few pedals (blues driver, OD1, DS1) and run them into the clean channel. Thats what it was made for.

Uber has a huge boost in the low mids - yes it sure does!

Parntz - I am just like you I think. I have an Uber and a modded Marshall (Splawn) and I have never been happier with my tone. You have a Cameron though you bastage!

My view: if you need a clear clean tone, an amp that takes to pedals well, and a crushing metal tone, the Uber will have you covered.

Yes, tone is subjective, that's why we're in the Amps Forum.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Im telling you once you get away from that mesa crap you will never go back to it. Sorry im not telling you what to like but I just really hate Mesa. Sounds like muffled mushy fuzz to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true at all, the more Mesas you get, the more you start to like them [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Personally I'm sick and tired of Marshalls, yuk [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] maybe I'll get that purple plexi one day and thats it.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

9 dude...it sure in the hell does have MUCHO low mid growl...like no other amp I ever heard...not close!

and 9 and Secial Ed Yeahhhhhhh want me to turn my Gain knob down?...THE HELL YOU SAY!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I used to turn it down just for the noise ratio before I got my G Major with it's awesome noise reduction...check it out and see what I mean...Max the gain and then just cut it back a hair...and see the difference in the noise that bastage makes at about 90% then 100% maxed..but now it is completely noise free when MAXED!!!

I may have to check into that TC E Line booster bastage..

BUT I definetly prefer the 75 w celestions ...they have more of a scoop sound to them...I think the amp gets hairy in the midrange enough at high volume levels without the help of Vin 30's making it even more midrangy...midrange I got...I don't want anymore mids.. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

If I change speakers...I'd go 80s or 90s..I'm not a fan of Vin 30...I never was.

The whole time I played with John and recording with him , and doing my Bed Of Nails demo that was posted here...that is my Uber with Gain MAXED...and MAXED it shall remain!

touch it and I'll break yo finga! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

but you can't record with gain maxed Uber in the studio, that amount of gain and all those overdubs, doubletracks etc. It will be an awful noise. In live recordings, why not.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

when I'm in the studio...this is where it's at...I recorded that demo on a 4 trk using a Sure Sm57s..and I thought it sounded just fine..daddy likes!

Bill Z Uber Maximus!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i love the uber with the uber cab. i dad a recto cab but it didnt sound as good as a uber cab.

Comment

I have a recording of me with my MAXED gain Uber doing a loose rendition of Eruption...I call it "corruption"..

I didn't even know it was recording actually...my friend who was recording the demo was trying to set a good recording level and just told me to play something ..."anything"...so that is what I did..

The playing is somewhat laughable...well I laugh ...but the Uber sounds totaly Killer...

I should post it just to show that I'm NOT crazy about maxing the gain...it just works for me...as soon as I back off the gain just a frail pussyhair...it looses some balls..and I can't have that , no I can not!

Maybe I'll give it to John to post so you can hear the Uber Maximus for yourselves....then all of you fellow Uberites can Max your gain knobs... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

and we can bathe in Uberized brutality together and be one big , happy , menatally fucked up family.. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

• Re: Jack Frost, Gear Whore

so, what about the uber-powerball shootout?? keep us updated, dammit! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

• Re: Jack Frost, Gear Whore

I know Fragle...I really want to..

But I just bought my super fine Factory Five AC Cobra...and it is consuming me...It is THE shit!

It the BIGGEST purchase I ever made in my life besides buying my house...but it is worth every cent..

I will get to that ...I really want to.

as a matter of fact John was up at GC today where the dude works and he was off today..I'll call him and get the meeting together...

probably NOT this week...My cobra needs a few minor tweakins'...so that is a priority for sure!

Comment

Working...
                        X