Inexpensive power amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive power amp

Can anyone recommend a decent but relatively inexpensive (~$300) power amp? I really want a VHT power amp but they are just too pricey.

I play death metal. I usually use a POD XT pro rack mount. I will be going into a Marshall 4x12.

Anyone have any suggestions for a power amp that doesn’t warp the tone of the preamp and is fairly inexpensive?

Re: Inexpensive power amp

Carvin T-100 not only cheap it is really good IMO. I picked up mine for $200 off of Harmony-Central a few years ago
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

A Rocktron Velocity should do the job. It's solid state power amp at a pretty decent price. If I recall correctly the sell around the 100-200 dollar mark. It's been a while since I looked at pricing on those though.
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

+1 on the Rocktron Velocity.

Comment

I highly recommend a Peavey Classic 120/120, 50/50 or 60/60 all tube poweramp. They turn up from time to time on ebay for 200-300 bucks and sound great. They have a really great vibe for use with tube poweramps--maybe a bit dark with a POD (like most tube poweramps), but many don't complain about that. They are also very well made, versatile and not very noisy. They haven't made them for years and are a little hard to come by, but not too bad. Keep an eye on ebay and you should be able to score one cheap.

Comment

Tube? Look for older Peavey Classic 120/120. Cheap 6L6 driven, and mega loud. A fine low cost tube amp. Getting harder to find but they are around for cheap.

Comment

awesome, thanks for the responses. Off to ebay I go

Comment

Carvin.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've read great things of the hughes&kettner VS250. maybe a lil harder to get in the US, than they're here, but worth a look. they offer a whole lot of features (like pentode/triode-mode, two channels etc), are kind of cheap, great quality&sound.
                  would be one of my top choices if I was in your situation. give it a thought... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Working...
                  X