using kt-88 tubes in soldano slo-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using kt-88 tubes in soldano slo-100

hey,was wondering if anybody has had experience using kt-88 power tubes in a soldano slo-100...what tonal differences from 6L6's? larger headroom? more bottom end? drawbacks? how about running the slo-100 with only 2 kt-88's? i have been told to pull 2 tubes the bias would need to be reset,also was told that was incorrect,to just change impedance...then i was told to experiment with impedance and set it where it sounds best...any info? thanks!!

Re: using kt-88 tubes in soldano slo-100

You can only run the SLO with 2 KT88's period. If you load it with all 4 you can kiss your transformer good bye. I haven't tried it. But I may get 2 6550's and see how it sounds. Since you can only use 2 you'll get like 60 watts out of it. It would need to be re-biased also as the KT88's have a higher plate dissipation. I'm running the KT66's in mine currently. Nice thick growl with a tight bottom end. You may want to try those first.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I would imagine that it would take out some of the saturation though in the thing... Maybe not though
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

2 KT88's should put out around 100W+

Comment

Yup 2 KT88's should get you 100. 2 6550's should get you 60. 2 of the 6L6 types including the KT66's should get you 50.

The KT88's would definitely have the most headroom of the tubes. The 6550's are supposed to be a bit warmer.

The Tung Sol KT66's I just bought for mine have specs like a 6L6GC(30 watts plate dissipation at 500volts max). But they are built in a KT88 bottle. If they are just a 6L6GC in a KT88 bottle they sure don't sound like one. They have even more headroom that the GT KT66's it originally came with. I couldn't say for certain how they designed them. Triple mica styled like the Tung Sol 6550 internals. Wicked tube. Very well built also.

We must!
          We must!
          The bigger the better!
          The tighter the sweater!

Comment

thanks for the feedback...very interesting info.i dont know too much about tung-sol,as just about every tube type i have tried,the jj brand in my opinion is the best...very hard to beat their 12ax7s,6L6gc,el34,awsome.i think i will give those tung-sol kt-66's a shot...will let you know the outcome! thanks!!

Comment

Basically all the new tube companies are owned by the same US corporation called New Sensor. They are all still different factories. SED used to be Svetlana. They make great power tubes also. Unfortunately few make KT66's. But the KT66 is your best bet to get a tighter bottom end from your SLO without getting into odd power tube configs. I didn't think the GT's were that great of a tube. Some people like them. And some have had quiet a few problems. I bought the Tung Sol's based on the review of the new prodution 6550's. They sounded better right off the bat without rebiasing. But they are so new that they don't really have a track record yet. So far I have only seen them for sale at tube depot. The Valve Art KT66's are supposed to be decent also. But I've never been a big fan of the Chinese power tubes. If you really wanted to try KT88's get either the JJ, EH's or SED's.
              We must!
              We must!
              The bigger the better!
              The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Working...
              X