The cheap amplifier saga continues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cheap amplifier saga continues.

Some of you may remember that I just bought a B52 AT100. Well I also have a Crate BV120, and a Randall RGT100.

I bought the B52, optimistically hoping that it would sound killer, and that it would become my main rehearsing/live amplifier. Well, so far, I haven't been able to get THAT sound out of it, and there are other issues as well. So here's the deal.

After messing with the B52 for a while, it seemed like something was changing the sound drastically while I was playing. I would dial in a good sound, and start playing with the knobs trying to fine tune it, and suddenly it would sound like garbage without me touching anything. So I turned it off, intending to go back to it later. Later on, same thing. So, at this point, I say fuck it, and plug in the Crate.

Before I bought the B52, I had just installed a set of Mighty Mite Motherbuckers in one of my guitars, and the combination of the Blue Voodoo, and the Motherbuckers is truly a match made in heaven. I really wish I could post a sound clip of this thing. You all would shit yer panties.

Anyway, I gave up on the B52 (for now), and plugged the Crate back in. Why I ever thought I had to get the B52 is a mystery.

So, I brought the B52 back home, and noticed that one of the reverb springs is hanging out of the tank. Yes that's right, hanging out. I take the amp apart, and remove the tank. Sure enough, it is a crappy 2 spring tank, with one of the springs broken off at the end. Fucking fantastic! So at this point, the B52 has had a bad connection on the pilot light (now fixed), a busted reverb tank, and intermittent changes to the essential sound of the amp. Not very good if you ask me. I am going to contact B52 directly, and see if they can shed any light on my problems. Maybe they will be willing to send me a new reverb tank. Maybe the sound anomaly is a tube issue. I will say that the amp looks incredibly well made, and I just know that there is a good sound in there somewhere.

And finally, the Randall. I bought this amp dirt cheap off Ebay. I think I payed $150 or something. These things are damn rare, and I have only ever seen one other on Ebay in the last several years. When I got it, I built a new cabinet for it, because the original one was particle board and was broken from being (presumably) dropped. The amp sounded great right from day one, but with a little tweaking, I got it sounding almost awesome. Then I spent a whole pile of time trying to get that last little iota ouit of it that it needed. It never happened, and it became my practice at home amp. Well, last sunday, my bass player gave me his new Taiwanese made Boss SD1, and a mod kit he got off Ebay, so that I could perform the mod for him. I just got around to doing it today, and had to try it out. So, I plug into the Randall, and set the SD1 like this:

Level - 10 oclock
    Tone - 2 oclock
    Drive - 3 oclock

I start playing, and goddamn it if I didn't have the exact sound I was trying to get. I could not get it with my own (Japanese made) SD1. Maybe there is something wrong with it. I don't know. All it really does is compensate for the amplifier's inherant "bouncy" bottom end. At high volumes, the Randall sounds kind of harsh, but has a ton of bottom end on tap to take away the harshness. Unfortunately, when you crank up the ass, the crunch disappears, and turns "bouncy". The SD1 puts it back. Cool stuff!
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: The cheap amplifier saga continues.

dang man...sounds like a lot of hassle... and you were so pumped when you first got it. only cheap tube head i like is the 5150, and i dont even like it that much..just has assloads of gain and its fucking loud..as far as tone..meh..my engl blackmore kicked in its balls twenty times over.. i hate to say it.. but the more time ive spent searching for my sound...the more money ive had to spend everytime... Im probably gonna get a shit load of flack for this but...im starting to beleive you gotta spend money to make money. get my drift

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      when you crank up the ass, the crunch disappears,and turns "bouncy"

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

DO NOT buy a Laney PL100! They suck!I will buy yours from you because I need parts! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]...............HA! Rev. Timmy
        Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Just played the B52 for a while. It turns out the weird changes in the sound, only occur on the solid state rectifier setting. I've been playing it in tube mode A, and it sounds really good. I'm going to throw an EQ in the loop and see if I can fine tune it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            DO NOT buy a Laney PL100! They suck!I will buy yours from you because I need parts! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]...............HA! Rev. Timmy

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Tim. I hate my Laney PL100 too. It sucks.
            It is the least expensive 100w head I have ever bought. I should have listened to my bandmates and bought a Gorilla comboor oneof those nifty Park Marshall clones with the high end 8" stadium ready speaker.
            Yea right!!!! My Laney would be considered a CHEAP amp and it KILLS. It gets exactly MY sound right off that bat.

Comment

Yesterday I sent an e-mail to the vice president of B52 Sound. I just got an e-mail back. They are sending me a new reverb tank, and the schematics, so I can check all the connections inside the amp to correct the other problem.

I have NEVER received service as good as this, and as prompt as this from anyone. I am impressed to say the least.

Hey John, here is a pic of the pilot. Do you have any similar ones, and what colors? Purple, blue, green, yellow? Anything other than red would be awesome.

Comment

I am impressed too,Zeegler.I think it's great that the VP handled some customer service.I hope it works out,sounds like you are going to run down the problem one way or the other...........
                Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I am impressed too,Zeegler.I think it's great that the VP handled some customer service.I hope it works out,sounds like you are going to run down the problem one way or the other...........

[/ QUOTE ]

He was very concerned and apologetic that my amplifier had not arrived in 100% working order. I was half expecting to get an email back about a week later telling me that since I bought the amp from Musicians Friend, that I should contact them about returning the amp, and having a new one sent. You know what I mean, the "it's not our responsibility" thing. Jeez, for all they knew, I could have been making the whole thing up, and just scored a free reverb tank. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

If it's not an Accutronics tank, it's just dead weight anyway [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Solid State amps are not supposed to have tonal fluctuations, expecially noticeable ones like you described. I'm betting you'll either find weak solder joints that are expanding when the board heats up or something similar to that.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Yesterday I sent an e-mail to the vice president of B52 Sound. I just got an e-mail back. They are sending me a new reverb tank, and the schematics, so I can check all the connections inside the amp to correct the other problem.

I have NEVER received service as good as this, and as prompt as this from anyone. I am impressed to say the least.

Hey John, here is a pic of the pilot. Do you have any similar ones, and what colors? Purple, blue, green, yellow? Anything other than red would be awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Send me your address and I will send a few out to you in other colors. John G

Comment

John, you gotta charge me something. This will be the second time you sent me stuff for free. I'm starting to feel like a charity case.

Comment

Forget it bro. Just send me your address. JG

Comment

Working...
                          X