Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX loop and effects

Hi.

I'm wondering how to run my crybaby effect. All other effects I'll be running through FX loop in DeVille. Should I do that with crybaby also?

Thanks!

Re: FX loop and effects

Try it both ways and see if how like it. Some people say run it between the guitar and amp like Hendrix did, others say put it in the loop.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My friend got strange experience with this and his preamp tubes got broke. The tech that changed the tubes told him to run all of his effects through FX loop. I don't know, I have no such experiences, but my stuff means a lot to me, so I don't want to have unnecessary problems.

Comment

Typically, gain-based effects (wah, overdrive, distortion)should go in front of the amp. I personally don't like the sound of wah much in the effects loop. Usually, wah *should* be in front of the amp, the first pedal in line before a distortion or overdrive. You can use wah in the loop if you want (that would be like using it after a distortion/od pedal in front of the amp, which Hendrix sometimes also did). It just gives it a different sound, but, like I said, I'm not much of a fan of that sound.
        If you've got two distortion pedals, plug them in front of your amp, put one in front of the wah and one in back of it to see which you like better. There's actually clips on Dunlop's website of the Hendrix Fuzz Wah... that pedal has the option of using wah before fuzz or fuzz before wah.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/el...rix/index.html

And about preamp tubes being broken because of effects being in front... that sounds like a bunch of crap to me. That's an amp problem that has nothing to do with effects! All those old amps didn't have loops, and everyone had to run them in front of the amp. Experiment and see what works best for you.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Interesting. What's the main purpose of FX loop then, Joe?

Comment

Well, mainly the purpose of the effects loop is for time-based effects such as chorus, delay, flanger, phaser... they typically sound better there (plus, they won't degrade your signal since they're not in front of the signal path of the amp), but you can also use them in front if you don't have a loop or you just like the way everything sounds like that.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
            X