Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockman EQ and distortion generator

Hey guys -

Anyone use either of these? I got em from a local pawn shop, but can't check em out until tomorrow. Most of my gear isn't here right now. ;(

I see the EQ goes for stupid money... anyone use em?

Pete

Re: rockman EQ and distortion generator

I've owned one of the EQ's before and they're nice, but IMO not worth the stupid money people pay for them on ebay. In fact, that's why I sold mine off. It was worth too much $ and I had no direct, immediate use for it, so I sold it. Still it's a nice sounding piece of gear, no wallwart, well built (though the sliders on all the Rockman gear tend to get scratchy), etc. If you need an EQ, you could do much worse.

I've only played the distortion generator a couple of times, years ago. I remember it as a one trick pony - instant Boston with the matching chorus! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got the DG - I could nail the rust in peace tone
      Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Hey Pete ...back in the day John and I used those Rockman Eqs..

we liked them at the time...they were a bit crude...but that was probably the beauty of it..they seemed to do the trick at the time..

John ran his into his Marshall and I ran mine into the loop of a 5150..that was quite a long time ago..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Hey Pete ...back in the day John and I used those Rockman Eqs..

we liked them at the time...they were a bit crude...but that was probably the beauty of it..they seemed to do the trick at the time..

John ran his into his Marshall and I ran mine into the loop of a 5150..that was quite a long time ago..

[/ QUOTE ]

Me and an old bandmate did the same thing. He ran the EQ through his JCM800 and I ran one through my Hiwatt. We also both had the sustainer/compressor, EQ chorus rack mount units that we played live with for around 5 or 6 gigs. We stopped using them because the comment we would always get was that we sounded like heavy Boston. We were an all original band at the time. You have to turn up pretty loud too because they are a little thin sounding live. The EQ's worked really well. My ex bandmate still has his entire Rockman live rig. He never sells or trades away anything. He has practically every piece of music gear he has ever purchased since the late 70's.

Comment

I posted the pair on another message board for sale and they sold within 30 minutes of being posted. *!* Crazy stuff! I really thought both pieces of gear were interesting, but everything did have this Boston flavor to it. It's cool if you dig Boston though.

Pete

Comment

These things sell instantly.

Comment

I think they're cool, especially the EQ, but just not the $180 cool that Pete was asking (and I assume got considering they sold that quick). I still have one of the analog delays sitting around. They're worth very stupid money now, but I like it enough that I'm not willing to sell it yet.

Comment

I've got the distortion generator, and it sits around, gathering dust because I don't feel like sounding like Boston. If people really like these things that much, I should try to sell it.

Comment

Regardless of whether you like them or not, there is a definate market for Tom Scholtz gear. I am sure there is a bloody ton of his gear around. After all, I guess you can consider the Rockman gear the grand daddy to all the current modeling gear. Just plug in and you instantly would sound EXACTLY like Boston.

Comment

John liked it and so did I..it has the most "crucial" frequency sliders for guitar tone shaping...it is actually a pretty cool little unit..

I had the analog delay too...very warm..I used to get a cool Steve Stevens / Eddie tone with that thing..but a bit noisey.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                      X