Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small tube amps for room practise/metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Small tube amps for room practise/metal?

Have you considered a software amp modeler like guitar rig?
    It is excellent.

Comment

Modelers are probably going to be your best bet. Low watt, tube and metal shouldn't really be used in the same sentence.

In the $100-$300 range: Roland Cube 15, 30 or 60

In the $300-$600 range: Vox Valvetronix AD60vt or AD60vtx

I have owned all of the Cubes and they are great bang for the buck. Strictly for practice, though.

The Valvetronix amps are a whole 'nuther level up in tone (and price). The AD60vtx that I have is easily the best modeler that I have owned in a combo form. The best thing about this amp is that it is plug and play. Pick a model, set the EQ, add modulation, delay and/or reverb. Done. You can also choose from 60, 30, 15 or 1 watt poweramp selection. And it even has a tube! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

One caveat: It is voiced for everything but extremely heavy groancorpse-type stuff.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Well, I can't really think of anything that's going to touch the Mesa .22+ then for tube and low wattage, but it's still amazingly loud. Just buy whatever tube amp you want and don't crank it would be my advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I have played on one. They are small and loud as hell. I was amazed. Greatest small amp I have heard.
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

When you want good tone at certain volume levels, some amps are better than others. You're going to have a helluva time trying to find a badass tone in a small tube amp. Most have to be driven pretty loud to get anywhere. If you live in an apartment, 15 watts is plenty to get an eviction notice on your door.

Personally, I think SS is better for low volumes. Tube amps work better for the loud stuff. I've tried a lot of Fenders, Peaveys, Marshalls, Crates, Ibanezes, and smaller off brand stuff (like Rogue). Fenders just don't seem to push out a metal tone, SS or tube. Peaveys do great with both, as I'm sure you've noticed with your amp. I thought that the Marshall DSL 2000 was actually okay for being turned down low, however the 800's and 900's need to be cranked for gain. I would not suggest a Crate SS to anyone for any reason. If you buy a Crate, use it for bedroom practice or somewhere where it won't be moved. In my experience, they just don't travel well. Let's not go into the Ibenhads.

If you want my advice, use what you have now and go ahead and get a big tube amp. That's my plan anyway. Use the practice amp to- well, practice, then use the big one to gig with. Good tone both ways.

HTH

Comment

hell for a good practice / metal amp...that Line 6 spider is GREAT!!!

like I said before...and it is a whole $200 new..that IS painless!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
            X