Pickup suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup suggestions

My main axe is a LP with EMGs, and I'd like my mexi strat to approximate that tone as much as possible in case of a string break or something. This would be just a replacement for the bridge pickup though. I always thought it was weak and anemic, but at the same time not strat sounding, so I'll leave the middle and neck pickups. Any suggestions would be great. The cheaper and more easily accesible (to find used) the better. Thanks.

Re: Pickup suggestions

What EMGs are in the LP? Does the strat have a single-coil or humbucker in the bridge position? If a single, would you be willing to rout it for a humbucker?
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Sorry, should have been more specific. Strat is 3SC, but I was going to get a HSS pickguard, since it's swimming pool route and can fit it. I don't know exactly what EMGs are in the LP, HC review says two 85s, but different months of the showcase series all had different specs, so who knows. I could take the covers off tomorrow to check.

Comment

What color is the logo on each of your LP's EMG pickups? Silver = EMG-81, Gold = EMG-85, Red = EMG-89, Gray = EMG-60.

Comment

Neck logo is worn off and the bridge logo is very faded, but sort of whitish, so probably either the 81 or 60. This is off the top of my head, I'll take a closer look tonight.

Comment

Pull them out and check for a sticker on the bottom if the logos are that worn.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If it is the "stock" Showcase EMG pickup, it should be 81. Neck could be either 81 or 85, I don't think they used 60 in those.

Comment

try putting EMG's in the strat. 85 in the bridge, 2 SA's for the other singles. then stick an SPC circuit in place of one of the tone knobs and you should be close.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

MD - I was thinking of doing just that, but I don't want to spend $200. I'll tear the pups out sometime tonight, hopefully. I was mistaken though, the bridge logo is worn off, while the neck one is only half worn off and slightly faded white looking.

Comment

EMG's aren't very hot sellers right now in a lot of markets. Not as hot as they were ten years ago, anyway. Call around to various shops, even ones you've never been to, that might have some old stock laying around.

I just picked up an 89 for $70. It's a pre- Quick Connect, so it was in the case for a while. The guy who owns the shop smokes, and the pickup still smells like smoke... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I've heard it wis a bitch to wire a combo active/passive system. Any truth to that? For $70, it might be worth it to have the actual pickup. But wouldn't I more likely need a different pickup to coax the same kind of sound out of a completely different guitar?

Comment

you need the pa2 from EMG to wire in EMG's with passives. (the ps2 with match the impedence and give you a volume adjustmet screw for the passive pups to match the output of the EMG's.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I got a tone zone and its pretty close to my 85. Probably not an 81 though cause the both the 85 and the tone zone have more low end than an 81.

Comment

Working...
                          X