Wah mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wah mods?

I love the 68k vocal mod on my Crybaby I got from Jgcable (it's like the Hendrix wah sound now [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]), and I want my other Crybaby modded because it's just too harsh and piercing in the treble. What kind of other mods can be done to these pedals? I want something different than the other modded one I've got.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Wah mods?

Midrange boost is a good one. We can also make it darker or screechier by messing with the values of some of the resistors. A trim pot can be installed to the outside of the case so you can adjust the contour. It would be similar to a 535Q or a Bad Horsie 2. True bypass is another option. They can also be made to run on 18v to become a "SUPERWAH".

Comment

Would it be like the EMG 18V in-series circuit for increased headroom if you ran your wah on 18V?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        They can also be made to run on 18v to become a "SUPERWAH".

[/ QUOTE ]

Please to be going into more detail about this.

Comment

Hmm... trim pot, midrange boost, superwah. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Now I've got some interesting options. Do tell more about the superwah, John.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It is my own creation. I took the best mods ever and combined them into 1... thus SUPERWAH.
            For instance, standard resistor values give you specific results. I use values that aren't standard. Most of the components in a GCB-95 can handle plenty of voltage. Anything that is questionable I change out. 18 volt wahs are louder. That is basically the difference between 9v and 18v. The midrange boost is really nice. It smooths out the transition between the heel and toe positions. That is a major flaw on a stock Crybaby. True bypass really isn't worth the trouble because I can do a buffer mod that makes the Crybaby almost transparent and also helps boost any signal loss coming from other pedals in the same chain before it. BTW... the Crybaby should always be the closest to your guitar in the chain of effects.

Comment

do you mod VOX wahs?
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                do you mod VOX wahs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but most of them don't need modding! I can do mostly the same mods as the Crybaby.

Comment

well, i was thinking the true bypass because it sucks tone when it's off.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a problem. I can do true bypass on it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a problem. I can do true bypass on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is a vintage VOX I would leave it alone and pick up a cheap GCB-95 to mess with. I can turn a Crybaby into a VOX easily.

Comment

no, the first reissue from a few years back.
                        GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Y'know, I saw this thread title and was gonna ask if anyone had done an 18V mod, and there it is in the 2nd post [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          Sweet! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I did a Contour Knob mod to my GCB-95 years ago - I wired the knob first then poked around the guts with two jumper leads until I found something that worked [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Can the pedal's main knob be switched out or modded to one that cuts the wah function off (bypass or true bypass) when rolled back to 0 instead of using the switch?
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

No it can't. Another mod is adding a switch that lifts a leg on one of the caps and turns a Crybaby into an instant volume pedal.

Comment

Working...
                            X