Carvin MTS3200 LIVE review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin MTS3200 LIVE review

Sambencuda and myself are in a band together. We both took our MTS3200's to band practice last night. Both of us played through 4 x 12 Peavey cabs loaded with Sheffields.
    Jim's MTS has 6L6's in it with all high gain preamp tubes.
    Mine has E34L's with stock tubes.
    How did they sound?
    Killer. You just can't beat an MTS for the price. Especially when you can turn up the volume a little.
    These amps are LOUD. There is 1 thing to consider too. The MTS3200 has active EQ controls (like a Mesa Boogie) and we have both found that they get more reactive as you turn the amp up. For instance.. the presence control barely has an affect on the amp until you turn it up past 4. I was playing with the following settings on the lead channel:
    Vol: 4
    Gain: 6-7
    Treble: 8
    Mid: 6-7
    Bass: 4
    Presence: 7
    I had a Ibanez DE-7 delay in the loop along with my infamous Twisteramps Preamp Pedal for solo boost. I had a Boss Super Chorus, Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah and a pedal tuner in front of the amp. I played my Charvel 7-up with the 18v EMG 89 set up and usually had my volume rolled back to around 6-7 unless it was solo time.
    With this set up I got a fantastic rock/metal sound. The solo boost preamp pedal is extremely transparent, it just makes the amp louder with a touch more presence (like a BBE). To me, my sound is more Marshall/Carvin Legacy sounding.
    The clean channel on the MTS3200 is absolutely killer. ITs one of the best 100w tube cleans I have ever heard.
    Jim's 6L6's were of course screaming bloody murder. His MTS sounds more like a Rectifier/Soldano. He is about to receive a G-Major for his MTS so his sound is going to be getting even better.
    My feelings regarding the difference between 6L6's and E34L's is this.
    If you like the high gain scooped more modern sound, go with the 6L6's. It sort of reminds me of the Marshall 2210 but without the Marshalls outstanding midrange or its ability to cut through a mix under any circumstance. His amp was cutting through fine, its just not as in your face as a 2210.
    If you like a more Marshall type moderate to high gain tone that is darker and with more bottom the E34L's are worth a look.
    Another difference I experienced between the different power tubes were how the amp reacted to the guitars volume controls. The E34L's allow more control of your overall tone by using the volume on your guitar. They don't muddy up when you roll the volume down.
    Overall, the dual MTS 3200 rehearsal last night was a huge success. We sounded good. Real good. At times we sounded bad too!!... real bad, but we can't blame that part on the amps.
    One word of caution if you are interested in purchasing a Carvin MTS3200. These amps are absolutely not intended for bedroom volume levels. They wake up and come alive at live band levels! Buy a modeler if you want to shred at home.

Re: Carvin MTS3200 LIVE review

Thanks for the review... Do you think you would like them together if they both had the same tubes?
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Absolutely, Jim is already thinking about switching to E34L's or maybe EL34's. Both he and I are big fans of the Marshall tone. He might bring his Single Rectifier for next rehearsal and see how that blends. That amp KILLS.

Comment

Hmm...I gotta try me one of these MTS3200. I played and X100B for years back in the day - great amp.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

John, you should write for Guitar Player or Guitar World! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What a great amp. I am considering E34L's from Eurotubes. For all the gain I had and as good as it sounded, I already have a recto. The best part is the ability to switch out the tubes without having to re-bias. Gotta love that bias switch.
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

These definitely seem to be one of those amps where the price they sell for is amazing compared to the tone that you're able to get. I would really love to try one out at some point.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              John, you should write for Guitar Player or Guitar World! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What a great amp. I am considering E34L's from Eurotubes. For all the gain I had and as good as it sounded, I already have a recto. The best part is the ability to switch out the tubes without having to re-bias. Gotta love that bias switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point Jim, if you put E34L's or EL34's in it you will have 2 killer amps with 2 different sounds. Call or email Bob at Eurotubes and tell him what you have. For around $60.00 he will send you a quartet that don't need biasing.
              I believe they are grade 24. Just plug them in and let it rip.

Comment

Thanks for the very helpful review, jgcable.

Any thoughts on how the MTS compares to a Legacy?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Thanks for the very helpful review, jgcable.

Any thoughts on how the MTS compares to a Legacy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the basic differences between the MTS and the Legacy is this:
                  The Legacy does not have clipping diodes. It gets all its gain and tone structure from the preamp tubes
                  The MTS has clipping diodes between the preamp tubes like a Marshall JCM800 #2210.
                  If you install E34L's and high gain preamp tubes in a MTS 3200 (for a cost under $100.00 shipped) you will have an amp that is VERY close to sounding like a Legacy. Mine does for sure. The Legacy has a ton of gain and is more on the dark side. A stock MTS3200 running 5881's sounds more like a Soldano/Rectifier.
                  For the money, I would rather have the MTS3200. With the proper tubes that are just plug and play (it has a bias switch) and the fact that it has a 50w/100w switch on it, you wind up with the best of both worlds for much less money. My amp is similar to a Legacy and a Rectifer depending on my tube selection.
                  The Legacy is louder but nobody plays that loud.
                  If they both cost the same I would choose the Legacy for 2 reasons: resale value and I like the chicken head knobs on it.

Comment

Thanks again! I've been wondering about these differences for some time now, and I appreciate your post.

Comment

I can't wait until band rehearsal next week when Sambencuda brings his single rectifier. It will be really fun stomping it into the ground with my MTS. In my experience, when you mix a Marshall type tone with a Mesa Rectifier, the Mesa gets lost in the mix and needs to be turned up quite loud.. Just funnin with ya Jimmy boy! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

There's a site dougstube store or something like that that sells tubes. Maybe check them out. That guy at Eurotubes wants you to do too much crap to your amp.

Comment

Thanks fo rthe tip Deneb. I'll check it out.

[ QUOTE ]
                          I can't wait until band rehearsal next week when Sambencuda brings his single rectifier. It will be really fun stomping it into the ground with my MTS. In my experience, when you mix a Marshall type tone with a Mesa Rectifier, the Mesa gets lost in the mix and needs to be turned up quite loud.. Just funnin with ya Jimmy boy! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhhhhhhhh! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] "Bring it oooooooon Cletis! Bring it on!"
                          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            There's a site dougstube store or something like that that sells tubes. Maybe check them out. That guy at Eurotubes wants you to do too much crap to your amp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... all I did was tell Bob at Eurotubes the amp I have and he Knew exactly what tubes I needed to order. He worked with many of the Carvin MTS message board players and developed a set of tubes that don't need biasing. I just plugged them in. That doesn't sound like too much stuff to do to me.

Comment

Is it easy to retube yourself?
                              I´m thinking about buying one soon...
                              I would most likley put el34´s in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X