• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live guitar rig cabling question??

Man, I am full of questions today.
    Here is what I use live:
    Carvin MTS3200 2 channel 100w head
    I use the natural distorion from the amp on channel 2 and th clean channel on channel 1
    In the effects loop I have a Ibanez DE-7 delay and a Twisteramps Preamp for solo boost.
    In front of the amp I have a Boss Super Chorus, a Morley Bad Horsie 2, a pedal tuner and my guitar.
    I also have the Carvin 2 button footswitch that controls the channel switching and the reverb on and off.
    With this set up I have a mess of wires going from my mic to my amp. Here they are:
    2 send and return cables from my effects loop
    1 cable for the Carvin footswitch
    1 cable from the amp input jack to my Boss super Chorus, Morley, tuner and finally a cord from the tuner to my guitar.
    That is a total of 4 long cables that have to travel from my amp to my spot on stage.
    I also have to use batteries for everything because if I went to a powered pedal board I would need another darn cable to AC power it.
    What do you guys do to manage this mess of cables when you are playing live?
    Does anybody make an effects loop cable that is basically 1 cable that splits out to a send and return jack?
    Do any of you guys use loop switchers or something similar to a Bradshaw switching system?

Re: Live guitar rig cabling question??

I don't have an answer to your specific question but I would suggest a pedalboard with a power supply to power your effects, perhaps the VHT device [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Also grab a Geroge L's kit for wiring your pedals. They are easy to make up and you can cut them to length. That helps neaten things up a lot. Their cable isn't bulky either. You can also get the same type of cable to use for your four longies. Sounds like a pretty versatile set-up that you have there tho...
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

check out these guys Stompin ground

they have lots of things to make pedalboards ,including the george L's cable..

Comment

The mess of cables you have is the problem why I went to an all rack setup with just a midi cable going to a rocktron midimate. In the rack my Rocktron Patchmate does all the switching (which is co-designed by Bradshaw himself)

Comment

my solution for this was to buy a GCX and midi pedal. I run one cable to the pedal and one to my wah.

Comment

John, here's the pedal snake I was telling you about. A bit pricy, but seems pretty cool to me........

Pedal Snake
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

John I'm about to face this problem myself. I think I'm gonna check out some hardware stores for some plastic tubing to kind of make one big pedal, like a PA snake, sorta like Mike from Darkest Hour has going on here:

Comment

I sell spiral wrap at work so I am gonna check it out tomorrow.

Comment

damn man, i have only one cable
                  me>guitar>cable>amp
                  i guess i'm prehistoric [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    damn man, i have only one cable
                    me>guitar>cable>amp
                    i guess i'm prehistoric [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do for solo boost or channel switching?

Comment

i tell ya. solo boost doesn't always sound very good.

most of the time its too much. i've found that if your sound is good. your solo's will cut through. and besides, most sound men turn up the first guy to stray away from the rythme and leave him a bit louder the whole time.

all you really need is your channel switching and find a good level for the reverb and leave it.

less is more
                      ~JW
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        i tell ya. solo boost doesn't always sound very good.

most of the time its too much. i've found that if your sound is good. your solo's will cut through. and besides, most sound men turn up the first guy to stray away from the rythme and leave him a bit louder the whole time.

all you really need is your channel switching and find a good level for the reverb and leave it.

less is more
                        ~JW

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck is a sound man?? especially one who can turn you up for a solo? ...lol...
                        I use the Twisteramps preamp pedal and it is perfect for solo boost. When I step, it just boost my volume up enough so that the solo can be heard over the other guitar player. If my band was only one guitar I might not need it but with 2 it is absolutely necessary. My boost is very transparent. It sounds exactly like if that mystery "sound man" turned me up for my solo. I have been using a solo boost in the loop of a 2 channel amp forever. In the past I have had great success with:
                        GE-7
                        DOD 250
                        DOD Bi-fet Preamp
                        YJM308
                        SD-1
                        Compressor/sustainer
                        Twisteramps preamp
                        MXR micro amp
                        The GE-7 is a great choice because you can "flavor" your solo tone too.

Comment

Working...
                        X