VoodooAmp Mods question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VoodooAmp Mods question

I am looking at maybe picking up a JCM800 4104 2 12 50 watt combo or a JCM800 4211 100 watt 2 12 combo
    and having these guys mod it. I'd like to be able to get
    the cranked tone out of it at low volumes and these guys advertise that they can do that on their site.
    Anyone here have an amp with their mods done to it and can you give me a quick review?
    I love the sound of the old JCM combos but you have to crank them to get that sound and I'm hoping this will change that [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
    thanks
    Nick
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Re: VoodooAmp Mods question

A hotplate will do the same thing.

Comment

Ya I know a hotplate is another option, but I'm also wondering (and I should have stated this in my initial question)
      Do their mods really make the amps sound that much better?
      I just got off of the phone with Trace and he
      is suggesting the hi gain deluxe mod ($600.00), that's almost the price I'd be paying for the amp.
      so I guess what I'm asking is are their mods worth it?
      Does even their classic mod (which is an option for what I want and a lot cheaper)
      make enough of a difference in tone and gain to be worth it?

Comment

Are you looking at this just for home use or will you be gigging with it, as well?

Comment

Both, but about 80% of the time it will be at home. James(RR05XX) and I have started to get an 80's type of metal band together. We're just starting and I've hit a personal glitch which will delay me for a bout a month or so, but the goal is to play out in some local bars, but they will be small bars (I'm sure) so I need my amp to sound good at both levels quiet and cranked (somewhat anyway)
          I'm looking to do this to a JCM800 4104 50 watt 2 12 combo.

Comment

Since you are going to gig with it, why not just buy an unmodded amp that will get your tone? Something like a Soldano HR50+ would certainly fit the bill. If you don't need 2 channels and want some additional gain, get an Avenger. I got a great tone at television volumes from mine thru a 2x12. Dang, I miss that amp!

Comment

Hmmmmmmm Soldano. I'll check it out, I'm also waiting for the JSX 2 12 combos to hit the stores so I can check one out

Comment

I had my Marshall jcm2000 dsl 100 modded by Voodoo.Love it it does everything they say it will now do.I posted a review a while back do a search.It went in for the standard and output tranformer mod.I was going to sell it before the mod and get a VHT CL but I found things I didn't like about it so I kept the Marshall
                www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

I will second the vote for Trace. Everything he does brings out the sound of the Marshalls the way they were menat to be. All the pieces he uses are industrial strength and very roadworthy.
                  I own an '87 JCM800 50 watt head that was Voodooed and couldn't be happier with it. Although I also have an Engl Savage 120 at home I just can't sell the Trace amp because it sounds do good and is worth every penny I spent on it.

Comment

Cool thanks for the responses, anyone
                    know the difference between Voodoo mods and Splawn mods?

Comment

I am sure the mod is fantastic but $600.00 is pretty steep to put into that kind of amp.

Comment

I agree, there are lot of things I need to think out here before I make a decision
                        thanks guys [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Look for an amp that's already modded... Scooter here on the JCF has a JCM800 2203 voodoo mod head that I sold him awhile back, he was asking me if I had pics... maybe he's going to sell it?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Look for an amp that's already modded

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that. I had Trace install a Witchdoctor circuit in a Fender SF Vibrochamp. The amp + mod + transformer was a little over $1k. I think I got about $400 for it when I sold it.

Comment

it is alot of money but I have owned my jcm 2000 for over 6 years now paid 1000 brand new I would get about 800 for it if I sold it and have to come up with 1000-1500 to get an amp that I would still find I had a problem with so this was the cheaper way out and I am very happy with it people can't believe the sound they are hearing from my amp with no help from stomp boxes or processors I'm sure when guitar player hear-LOG's-Marshall he gets the same reaction.I would not go for the mod on a brand new one at todays prices though for 2200.00 or so you could get a used vht ultralead,engl,bogner,or a new vht cl
                              www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Working...
                              X