Mesa Triaxis - Any users out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Triaxis - Any users out there?

Any of you guys out there using a Mesa Triaxis?

Pro's Con's?? I've read all the stuff about Rev 2.0 and the Fat Mod but just wondering how some of you like it.

THANKS!

Re: Mesa Triaxis - Any users out there?

hey fret,

Try the mesa board, they are not as active as this board, but you might find some answers, here is the link, make sure to have a pop up blocker, alot of ads. http://p212.ezboard.com/bmesaboogieampforum77319

Comment

Thanks I'll try that.

[ QUOTE ]
      hey fret,

Try the mesa board, they are not as active as this board, but you might find some answers, here is the link, make sure to have a pop up blocker, alot of ads. http://p212.ezboard.com/bmesaboogieampforum77319

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

i saw Helloween use them last year with marshall power amps and they sounded AMAZING!!!!!
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

A friend of mine has an upgraded 1.0 to 2.0 and is running a full stack with the Randall Warhead cabs (4x10 and the 2x15). He's also got a G Major and a parametric EQ of some sort. He also has the 2/90 Mesa power amp (I think it's 2/90, it's the popular one everyone uses) I didn't mess with his EQ settings, but I played around with the Triaxis and G Major in the rig. I'm in the extreme minority in this, but I have to say I didn't dig it all that much. I used to hang out and play on his rig a couple times a week, so I'm gonna try n describe how it sounded.

The clean channel was great. Nice, warm and sound. The G Major made it sound even better. I think it was out of the yellow channel that he got a cool blues/jazz tone out of it also. The unit itself is very versitile and does sound good. The distortions were great, going anywhere from Metallica to In Flames. So far, so good, but I'm very picky about my tone, so what I don't like you might not have a problem with. The distortions sounded kinda dark, even with the traditional scooped mids and all. I usually play with the mids round 1 o clock, and it definatly cuts through nicely. I tried upping the presence, but it got very shrill, almost solid state sounding to an extent. I backed off and tried the treble, but I wasen't hitting the sound I liked. This could definatly also be because of his parametric EQ, but I didn't wanna screw around with his own tone, so I left that alone. The best example of the tone I go for is the Peavey 5150. The presence knob gave me those highs without becoming shrill or harsh. I couldn't get that from the Triaxis. It's not a Mesa thing either, the Triple Rec and Road King heads are awsome. I'd buy those in a heartbeat. The knobs did not react the same as on the Triaxis. Even with a lotta highs which I love, it still kept it's warmth and balls. The clean channels lacked a bit on the warmth, but that's nothing a good chorus and reverb can't fix. There are just too many variables that effect tone. Cabs, speakers, order of effects and such that it could be the best amp I'll play, but I'll never know because I tried it with the wrong things. I'm sure you'll dig it though if ya pick one up. Mostly everyone loves em, I'm just a picky bastard when it comes to my tone [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

- Irfaan -

Comment

um... the triaxis doesn't have knobs...
            Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

Woops, the CONTROLS then

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I'm in the extreme minority in this, but I have to say I didn't dig it all that much.

The clean channel was great. Nice, warm and sound. The unit itself is very versitile and does sound good. The distortions were great, going anywhere from Metallica to In Flames. So far, so good, but I'm very picky about my tone, so what I don't like you might not have a problem with. The distortions sounded kinda dark, even with the traditional scooped mids and all. I usually play with the mids round 1 o clock, and it definatly cuts through nicely. I tried upping the presence, but it got very shrill, almost solid state sounding to an extent. I backed off and tried the treble, but I wasen't hitting the sound I liked. This could definatly also be because of his parametric EQ, but I didn't wanna screw around with his own tone, so I left that alone. The best example of the tone I go for is the Peavey 5150. The presence knob gave me those highs without becoming shrill or harsh. I couldn't get that from the Triaxis. It's not a Mesa thing either, the Triple Rec and Road King heads are awsome. I'd buy those in a heartbeat. The knobs did not react the same as on the Triaxis. Even with a lotta highs which I love, it still kept it's warmth and balls. The clean channels lacked a bit on the warmth, but that's nothing a good chorus and reverb can't fix. There are just too many variables that effect tone. Cabs, speakers, order of effects and such that it could be the best amp I'll play, but I'll never know because I tried it with the wrong things. I'm sure you'll dig it though if ya pick one up. Mostly everyone loves em, I'm just a picky bastard when it comes to my tone [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

- Irfaan -

[/ QUOTE ]

Must agree with most of that bro. I have a V1 triaxis with a 2:90 and use a lexicon for reverb. However, I don't use it that often as I prefer the tone I get from my Peavey XXX. Although I would say the clean channel on the Peavey isn't that great and is better on the boogie. But as I dont tend to play clean very often, it's not a problem. The EQ on the triaxis is not great, there is not a big difference with say treble set on 0 or 10. I tend to scoop the mids out whatever I play through, but this setting with the triaxis does not do much for me. Can't say the same about the XXX though, small changes to the bass, mids, treble make very noticeable differences to the tone.
                Although I normally get a good slating for saying it, I am generally disappointed with the Triaxis and no doubt will sell the rack in the future. However, I'm sure most people will get on with the Triaxis better than I did.
                I know this is slightly off topic, but anyone tried a Diezel Herbert? If so, are they as good as people say?

Comment

John I know you are coming off of Recs and the Triaxis pushes that edge but isn't as heavy. Still a great unit you can get good Petrucci from it. I personally think there are better units for the Money, I have seen Engl 570's for 1300-1400 used which is about 400 more but just flat out better. The Hafler/Bogner Triple Giant for 400-500 I liked better than the triaxis too... the Triaxis is good no doubt but I think there are better options
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

James Yeah I hear you there, But I need the MIDI crap! LOL
                    Right now I'm using a JMP-1 and its very cool, it's my second one, I should have never sold my 1st. As you know I just sold my last Dual Rec and I'm hoping just to get some good ole Boogie sounds out of the Triaxis. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] which I think I will get.

[ QUOTE ]
                    John I know you are coming off of Recs and the Triaxis pushes that edge but isn't as heavy. Still a great unit you can get good Petrucci from it. I personally think there are better units for the Money, I have seen Engl 570's for 1300-1400 used which is about 400 more but just flat out better. The Hafler/Bogner Triple Giant for 400-500 I liked better than the triaxis too... the Triaxis is good no doubt but I think there are better options

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

you can also try to score a quad, if you have the right midi equipment it can be midicontrolled as well, less versatile than the triaxis, but is supposed to sound better. anyway I have the idea the controls are way more flexible

Harrald

Comment

All ready been there done that! LOL I use to run a Quad with a Rockman MIDI Octopus in the 90's It was okay..4 Rack spaces just for a preamp [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] A Triaxis will give me way more versatility. A Quad wouldn't even come close.

[ QUOTE ]
                        you can also try to score a quad, if you have the right midi equipment it can be midicontrolled as well, less versatile than the triaxis, but is supposed to sound better. anyway I have the idea the controls are way more flexible

Harrald

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

Jeff Loomis used one for the longest time ...he recorded the first two Nevermore albums with the Triaxis I believe..and that sounds heavy as hell.

My friend plays one with a Mesa Strategy 400...I think it's "OK"...a bit "dead" sounding to me...but he always sounds like that no matter what amp he's playing!!

For a preamp I go with that Engl preamp...that 570 seems to be the shit right now..I'd love to hear one..

but I don't need four channels..I just need ONE brutal one...that is why I have an Uber.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

with the triaxis it's all dependent on what power amp you use. if you want a more american sound you'll want something with 6l6's in it. if you want more of a euro sound you'll want something with el34's in it. (just an analogy)

i've heard people play brutal deathmetal and nevermore type tones with mesa power amps. while i've heard Helloween sound amazing with marshall power amps all using the triaxis as their pre-amp.

basically it is a very good pre that can handle most anything. you just have to match it with the right power amp for the sound you are going for.

remember - power tube saturation and distortion is half your guitar tone.

~JW
                            Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              James Yeah I hear you there, But I need the MIDI crap! LOL
                              Right now I'm using a JMP-1 and its very cool, it's my second one, I should have never sold my 1st. As you know I just sold my last Dual Rec and I'm hoping just to get some good ole Boogie sounds out of the Triaxis. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] which I think I will get.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are loooking for the Midi the Triaxis is the way but the Engl 570 might be worth checking out tooI think you would be pleased with that I think it would quench your boogie thirst.

As far as teh Triaxis I find it to be more Mark IV heavy than Recto heavy but then again Lamb of God use Mark IV's and they sound heavy enough
                              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                              X