F-100 vs. 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-100 vs. 5150

As always, I'm still planning what I want to do with my future millions. I love the dual rectifier, but won't be able to buy it and eat at least one meal every other day with my paychecks. I figured that something within the $1500 range for a halfstack would be affordable. The thing that sucks about both the dual recto and the 5150 is that the clean channel sucks. I've heard the f-100 has a better clean channel. What do you guys think?

Re: F-100 vs. 5150

You won't be disappointed in the F series. Great clean channel that even has a pull pot on the gain knob for getting a brighter sound if you need to get more into Fender territory, it's got a contour boost for the distortion channel to give you more gain, and it's got separate reverbs for each channel. What more could one need? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Oh yeah, its distortion is very close to the sound of a recto, too. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] The F-30, F-50 and F-100 all rock!!!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The F-Series Mesas have absolutely bitchin' clean channels. Soak it with reverb and I'm in heaven... [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] And that was BEFORE I discovered the bright-pull knob on the gain pot! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I love my f30 combo you can't go wrong with these

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          The F-Series Mesas have absolutely bitchin' clean channels. Soak it with reverb and I'm in heaven... [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] And that was BEFORE I discovered the bright-pull knob on the gain pot! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          LOL Yeah, there's no mention of it in the manual. It is kinda hard to see above the knob unless you're looking for it! I believe Mesa's website does mention it, though.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            You won't be disappointed in the F series. Great clean channel that even has a pull pot on the gain knob for getting a brighter sound if you need to get more into Fender territory, it's got a contour boost for the distortion channel to give you more gain, and it's got separate reverbs for each channel. What more could one need? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            Oh yeah, its distortion is very close to the sound of a recto, too. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] The F-30, F-50 and F-100 all rock!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 from another Mesa user. I LOVE my F-50!! The clean really is clean, I dig that pull pot. Sounds really nice with a tube screamer too.
            [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool, thanks for the replies. So far this sounds like the best amp for the buck. I actually thought about getting two amps, a 5150 and a fender so that I could have both good sounds. If I can get both this good in an amp, I'm content. Thanks again guys.

What about the cons of this amp?

What cab would be good to match up to this? So far I've been thinking about a Mesa 2X12.

Comment

Ok, I agree too that the F100 is a killer amp BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                You can't compare the tone and gain structure of a 5150 to the F100. They are completly different. You can like both or course but you can't compare the 2. What type of tone are you looking for?

Comment

You think that the clean on the Dual Recto sucks? I think it's on one the best on a modern amp myself, but I guess if you tryed it and didn't like it, thats you're opinion. MESA amps are a very good choice though. I'm a proud Mark III owner!.

Comment

The clean channel on a single, dual and triple rectifier is probably in the top 5 for the best clean channel in a high gain 50w + amplifier. Sambencuda's single recto's clean channel was absolutely stunning. I had a dual recto tremoverb that may have had the best clean channel I have ever heard.

Comment

That's how I feel too, John. metallicarocks, you should give a Single Recto a try!

Comment

My triples clean is out of this world.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I like the Rectifier series from Mesa. They are so versatile. I really need to get one.

Comment

Yes, yes you do.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              That's how I feel too, John. metallicarocks, you should give a Single Recto a try!

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Will do. Perhpaps it needs a relisten and some tweaking. Come to think of it, I played around with the clean channel for maybe five minutes if that. I didn't think much of it then, before I started playing jazz. I'll go back and try it again.

[ QUOTE ]
                              What type of tone are you looking for?

[/ QUOTE ]
                              As close to a dual rectifier as possible. I really like that sound, but somebody told me that the 5150 was better for the money. I didn't think it sounded too much like a recto myself, but I like the sound of a 5150 too (distortion that is. The clean was not so good). I like the distortion wavelengths that the rectifier has. You can feel each soundwave hitting you.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I did actually, and it wasn't too bad. I've actually been thinking about that amp as well. I'll have to go back to the shop and decide on the tone of those two amps and the layout. So far, I'm leaning more on the F-100 because I like the sound a little bit better than the recto, it just seemed more edgy. I'll have to retest the clean channels as I couldn't provide any kind of an accurate opinion between the two. I'm also leaning towards the F-100 because of the reverb controls on each channel. I like more reverb on the clean than I do on the distortion (genre pending).

Again, thanks for the replies. Any tips on a cab for around $500? (+-$100)

Comment

Working...
                              X