Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My bitchin' little Mesa DC-2 combo (pics/review)!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My bitchin' little Mesa DC-2 combo (pics/review)!!

I went to the post office today to pick up my 25 watt Mesa/Boogie DC-2 Studio Caliber 1x12 combo amp. Here are some quick and crappy photos I took... nowhere near the caliber ( [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) of my usual photos but I didn't want to lug this thing back upstairs where there was more light to take photos with. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I played around with it for four hours or so. I've only ever owned one other amp in my life so the comparison is going to suck but it is all I have to base it on. I will also compare it to the Mesa F-30 combo which was what I was originally going to buy but found my DC-2 at a very reasonable price and couldn't pass it up!

Construction review: This thing feels like it's built like a tank and seems very sturdy. But I basically know nothing about amp construction so I'm easily impressed. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Clean channel review: It was very easy to dial in a great clean sound on the DC-2. Fiddle with the knobs any which way and it still sounds great, never boomy/woofy or piercing/shrill. I like my clean channel to be pristine clean, so that meant gain had to be kept lower and master had to be a little higher to compensate. Higher gain pushed into warm bluesy territory. My preference is for the treble and bass to be halfway, with the mids dipped a bit for clarity and a bit of presence. Compared to my Marshall and the F-30 I tried, the DC-2 does not have very high reverb so I had to increase reverb to 8 or so. I greatly preferred the lush (wet) reverb quality of the Marshall and F-30. Maybe there's something wrong with the reverb tanks or something... I dunno. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Everybody knows how I love my reverb. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] My Les Paul's neck pickup + tone knob all the way down + single note runs = a very interesting sound that sounded like TWO smooth guitar tones were coming out of the amp! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] I quite enjoyed it!

Dirty channel review: It took me what seemed like forever to get a decent distorted tone as I am very picky. Eventually I got something I liked, and I used it as my solo tone to play over backing tracks (see my second photo). Reverb again was weak, so I had to increase it. I still haven't found a suitable crunch sound for rock/metal rhythms yet. Something I enjoyed about my Marshall was the easy-to-dial dirty channel with a mid-sweep knob that REALLY drastically altered the character of your sound, as well as the clarity and sizzle that it offered to thunderous power chords. Unfortunately I was unable to replicate anything close to that with my DC-2 so far but I'll keep working on it. However, as I said, I really liked my lead/solo tone that I found, as it was warm, rich, and smooth. Unfortunately it was too smooth to be a crunchy rhythm sound. The F-30 I tried had a fantastic rhythm sound that wasn't too difficult to dial in at the store.

Contour mode review: Here's me desperately wishing this extra dirty channel mode was a midbooster for solos rather than a midscooper. The notable things when the contour mode was engaged were the increase in volume, increase in gain, and a dip in the mids. Perhaps I'll find a use for this mode someday, but for now, the sweet mids of the dirty channel on its own give me my lead/solo tone that I so love.

Overall, I'm quite happy that this is my first tube amp. Clean channel is very easy, while the dirty channel I had to wrestle with. Clean tone is ALWAYS great, and my lead/solo tone is exactly what I want in a lead/solo sound. But my rhythm sound and the contour mode I will have to play around with some more.

I recently asked how I could hook up both my Marshall and my DC-2 simultaneously. I was hoping I could use my DC-2 for cleans, Marshall for rhythm crunch, and DC-2 for my warm lead/solo tone. So, I used my Boss GT-6 and sent one output to each amp, and did my best to set the processor so that it would bypass. However, the sound was totally horrible and there was considerable signal/tone loss. Help! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Jack Napalm is selling a Morley ABY box in the Classifieds... should I got for that?

Also, I found these two little metal things hidden amongst the bubble wrap. What are they, and do they belong to part of the amp? Help! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Re: My bitchin\' little Mesa DC-2 combo (pics/review)!!

Pretty Cool NOTP, nice grab. Those are really cool little amps. If it is anything like the DC-5 the controls are pretty touch sensitive and it can easily go from sweet sounding to ass with a turn here or there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you didn't get a manual download it from mesa. Not all DC-2's have the contour mode tho so the manual may be a bit different but it will help if you breeze through it.

http://mesaboogie.com/manuals/Studio%20Cal%20DC-2.pdf is the manual

I don't know what those do dads are either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Congrats on the score, spend some time with it and it may grow on ya and you might like even better once you get used to it and some tweak time.

I'd go with the Whirlwind A/B switch if I were you. I have one that I bought in 84 or so and it still works today. Its powered by a 9 volt battery and you can select either amp or both on at the same time.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Re: My bitchin\' little Mesa DC-2 combo (pics/revie

Shawn, I know Whirlwind was mentioned in my A/B-related thread, but is it true bypass? I tried my GT-6 today and it just sucked all the tone from both amps!

"Ass" pretty much describes my rhythm tone right now for this amp. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] My brother described it as "mooshy" (not "mushy", there's a difference [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) and I have to agree with him. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] He and I both greatly preferred the defined sizzly crunchy roar of my Marshall for rhythm guitar.

I briefly read the manual twice over the past week while waiting for the amp in the mail, so I'll have to read through it more carefully now that I know the amp a little better. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I asked the seller about those two little metal things. He said he didn't know what they were and are most likely not part of the amp since they were found between layers of bubble wrap rather than next to the amp. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This amp is one loud little beast for 25 watts... [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] You turn the lone output level knob up to 3 and it's already at jamming/rehearsal levels! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

They almost look like circuit board standoffs. Keep fiddling with it. You will find your tone. Mesa's take forever to tweak.

Comment

I'm not gonna lie to ya... I have NO idea what circuit board standoffs are. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But I'll keep them in that little baggie just in case. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I had one that I ended up selling to Carl and I thought it was a smoking little amp. It did take a while to dial it in though. Take some time with it and you may be able to get your tone. The onle thing I remember is that the Mid and presence controls were very touchy in what they did to the whole tone of the amp.
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I used to own a DC-3 - same preamp, just more power. I ran into the same issue you have with the lead channel. I liked the lead tones and could dial in a very heavy rhythm tone, but there's nothing like a Marshall crunchy rhythm in there. Also, I thought the reverb was pretty weak in it. I used an Intellifex's reverb in the loop rather than the amps. I don't remember the Contour control ... is that something that came later in the production run.

Here's one thing to try: run it through a closed back cab and you'll tighten up the bass on the lead channel. It shouldn't be too loose, but the open back cab and V-30 (???) didn't seem like the best match on this channel as I recall.

If it sounds like I'm uncertain on this amp, that's because it's probably been close to 10 years since I owned mine. I thought it was a good amp. I'm just confirming that your negative comments match my memory of it, so I don't think it's just you. Every amp has it's good and bad points. It's just tracking down an amp who's good points outway it's bad points enough to keep it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The contour mode is accessible via 2-button footswitch. One button is the contour for the dirty channel, which scoops the mids, adds gain, and adds volume, and the other button switches between the clean and dirty channels.

I don't have a problem with the bass being too flubby, but I'll definitely have to play around with it some more, or get an ABY box to split between my Marshall and Mesa for the tones I like. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

How much does that thing weigh?

Comment

Congrats NOTP!
                    Looks like you will be enjoying the amp for a long time.
                    [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Not sure about the exact weight, but maybe 40-50lbs? It wasn't too bad carrying the box from the post office out to my car in the rain and fumbling with my car keys, although I nearly dropped the box right through the closed window of the car parked next to mine... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The seller is mailing me two extra tubes he found... whatta guy! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The customs fee was close to a hundred bucks Canadian, which would bring the total price paid close to a regular reasonable price shipped within your own country, so not too bad I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I hope I'll be enjoying this amp for a long time, as long as I can dial in a great sizzling crunchy rhythm sound soon or I'll go insane. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'll perhaps try to record a video of me playing through the amp sometime this weekend and post it in the MP3 section. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah sounds incredible in front of the DC-2. Since the amp is warmer and softer sounding than my Marshall, the wah was very smooth and vocal-like, which sounded incredible as that is my dream wah sound. In front of my Marshall, the wah is a little bit on the harsh and thin side.

Comment

you may have a hard time getting a marshall crunch out of it. i had a subway rocket and it had all the gain you could handle and the contour mode was like a mini dual rectifier but it wasnt crunchy. it was smoother than a marshall. the gain chanel had more crunch than the contour. boogies sound great but they dont sound like marshalls.

Comment

My Roland Cube 30 OWNS JOO! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm not necessarily asking for that sexy Marshall crunch that I'm used to, although I do want that definition and tightness and something close enough to that character. Strangely enough, I was able to dial in a wicked rhythm crunch with the Mesa F-30 within 20 minutes at the store, but nothing after four hours with my DC-2, even copying my F-30 settings that I wrote down at the store onto my DC-2 today since they are closely related amps.

Funny... the stereotypical Recto sound sounds nice to me, and I could live with that, but I can't even get something that sounds like that that incorporates a little of MY character as well. As I mentioned, I'm quite picky about my sound so I'll probably be spending years fine-tuning. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Roland Cube... I gotta get me one of those for bedroom use! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I want a MESA!

My 4x12 mesa cab is sitting here without an amp....
                              [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X