X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MArshall TSL 100

Hello Guys!

It's been awhile since my last post.
    HAd a lot of gear-changing in my young guitar career.

I am looking for a modern sound. Not metal more hard rock, Foo Fighetrs and Weezer meets Placebo kinda a thing.
    Any thoughts on what shoud i get.

I did the amp simulation thing, the rak thing, i would like to try some stacks. I own a 1960B marshall w' v30's.
    The head is still a mystery!

Marshall
    JCM 800, very nice but 1 channel. I need a pedal for the overdrive. Maybe!
    JCM 800, too popular
    TSL 100- In between buying. Any thoughts?

Soldano Hot Rod, very nice, but eagian 1 channel.
    MEsa
    Rectifier, very nice, but i did not like the modern circuit. I like the Vintage. But why buying mesa, then, rigt?

ENGL, dont know it really good!

Fender? Any good distorsion on fender?

What else?

Re: MArshall TSL 100

By asking for others' opinions you've already failed. Try out the amps for yourself and see what YOU like. Personally, I'd take my Engl Powerball over any other amp you could think of, but thats me.

Comment

Peavey Triple X.

Comment

Try a Peavey JSX as well. I played with one today and I was pretty impressed.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

My Fender hot rod deville 410 is very versatile if you don't need any metal. It'll do clean just fine, and all the way up to Dio-era Sabbath (I can nail that tone with the "more drive" channel and my LP with EMGs). Sounds like it may fit the bill.

Comment

Meas recto.

I had a Marshall TSL100. I liked it a lot.

Comment

Grasshopper..
              I know and i will try out different ampp, no worry!
              But i would like to get a feel of what's going on!

I am not looking for a metal amp. More rockish, i like the mid's :-)

I owned deVille, and was quite happy with it i must say.

Maybe a sansamp psa-1 is a choice. Along with a good solid state poweramp? Any opinions on that?

Comment

I'm a pure metal player...and I couldn't use a new Marshal DSL / TSL to save my life..

I had a new DSL...and I kicked that turd to the curb as hard as I could! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

fuzzy , flubby piece O' shit!

To me that TSL Marshall has a classic rock sound...NOT METAL AT ALL..not to me!!

Why can't you dial up a "hard rock" sound out that TSL...???!!!!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I didnt say i couldn't i just dod nto have the chance!

I am aksing you guys for some general idea on what to search for.
                  I will try out for myself to see how one amp suits me and my band!

What about the sans amp?

Comment

PSA-1? It smokes. Listen to Alexi Laiho with Sinergy, on To Hell and Back. That is a PSA-1 and sounds pretty good to me. had one, and loved it for quite some time.

Comment

Both amps are great amps, having both i will try to give you somewhat of an idea. Bare with me and excuse my spelling mistakes, i stink at spelling!

Mesa Dual Recto 3 channel- Great versitile amp, most people think metal, but i have seen them on stage in so many different types of bands, examples would be the guitarist for James brown used a 2 channel and duran duran uses the 3 channels. Then you have people like foo fighters etc.... So here is the skinny, you say why buy it if you are not gonna use the moderm channel, i say why not. The clean channel sounds good enough for most people and is alot better then the original 2 channel version, and if you are someone like me that likes a good chorus it is perfect. Then you also have the pushed on channel one, this is a great channel for old style rock and to die for in a way. Now moving onto channel 2 and 3, in vintage or raw these channels are great for rock all the way up to hard metal, just depends how you EQ it and how much gain you use. I personaly prefer to use vintage on both 2 and 3, i use channel 2 with gain around 1pm for my rythem and channel 3 with gain around 3 for soloing, and then if i ever feel like doing some metal i have the ability too by the flick of a switch. Another great feature is the choice between diode or tube rectifiers, great choice there plus you can choose between EL34's or 6L6's. With a Dual Recto you can get close to a marshall, however if you are a tone purist and that is the tone you are looking for then trying to get it out of this amp will drive you crazy!

Marshall TSL- Also a great amp, not as versitile as a the Dual Recto, but hey it is a marshall, do you need to say anymore! Things i like about the TSL over the recto, the marshall sound, the ability to play with the bias.

Price wise the Mesa is more bang for the buck, here is the funny part, brand new you will pay about 200 dollars more for the TSL over the Dual Recto. However, if you buy used you will pay roughy between 200 and 300 more for the recto.

Reliability is a tough issue here, if you keep the TSL properly ventilated it will work forever, i usually take off the back metal grill and on all my amps i always have a fan blowing on them! You will also here the argument that you see more mesa's in the repair shop, but you have to look at it this way, mesa is the amp of choice right now, they probaly out number all other amps by 4 to 1 in use in a live situation, so yes you will see more of them in a repair shop. But trust me, i have owned many mesa's and they are built like a tank, you treat them right they will last forever!!!!

Over all if you are looking for the marshall sound and only need the marshall sound then go with the TSL. If you like the mesa sound and need more versitility then go with the Mesa, remember tone is very selective, and to each there own.

Other things you might want to consider are pre-amps with a power amp, the Marshall JMP-1 sounds great with a mesa 20/20 and trust me, get the JMP-1 now while they are still cheap. The JMP-1 use to be $699 brand new and sell for about $350 on ebay used, now you can only order the JMP-1 and the cost is $1399 new and they are starting to get higher on ebay, so now is the time to get it!

Comment

What Siggy said... +1. Nice response Siggy!

Comment

I personally dislike the DSL the TSL is alright

As far as Engl you should check them out a Fireball is great but it you want more options try the Powerball
                          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            What Siggy said... +1. Nice response Siggy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, To be honest i am selling my TSL, i have my Marshall 6100 still which is a great amp and i want to get my 1987 modded by splawn. I also purchased and i am waiting on my mesa stilletto so we will see how that goes.

and one more thing to add on getting the rock tone, if you are going for the rock tone i would go with a cab with Greenbacks, beautiful mids in that cab! Second choice for rock would be the vintage 30's, also a good mid cab but not as much as the greenbacks, however the vintage 30's have a better bottom end and can do hard rock and metal alot better! For examples of bands that use greenbacks check out weezer and story of the year.

Comment

PS You also have to ask yourself which foo fighters sound and which weezer sound exactly you looking for. Foo fighters basically recorded with DSL's on the first two albums, this came directly from Dave's mouth. It seems there record company for some reason made them have a certain sound for recording but would use the mesa's live, then afterwards he got control and starting using the Rec's for recording.

Weezer on the first album used a old mesa boogie amp, think basically a mark 1 or 2, they are not sure as the amp disappeared. Then on pinkerton he used a marshall SLX.

On the green album they used the follwoing.
                              Rhythm track 1: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier amp; Marshall slant 4x12 cabinet w/ 25 watt green back Celestion speakers
                              Rhythm track 2: Marshall 100 watt (modified), formerly owned by Warren Dimartini of Ratt; Marshall slant 4x12 cabinet w/ 25 watt green back Celestion speakers
                              They also used a mix of other amps for cleans and solo's on this album.

On weezers next album i think they recorded primary with Line 6 Pod Pro, i know most of the album was recorded on the road which would explain why it wasnt one of there greatest. The new album sounds like they are going back to a mix of amps.

I dont know much about placebo so i cant help you on there tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X