Recording software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording software

Want to switch my 4 track over for software. Recommendations? I heard ProTools, Cakewalk, Acid are good programs. I've looked in Musicians Friend mags and see different variations of each. I want to do all my own recording, no band, just myself. What would be a good start?
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: Recording software

will you be running a mac or pc?
    will this be primarily recording direct audio or midi?
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

PC. As for direct audio or midi...can both be done?

Comment

I like Cool Edit Pro 2, I think Adobe owns it now and it's call Audition or something like that. Check it out.

Jason

Comment

Acid and Sound Forge came on my computer and work more than well enough for just personal recording. I've even mixed some songs recording my guitar cab with a radio shack mic, one of the outputs on an fx box going to a mic input on my soundcard, it drops my guitar an octave for (barely, if even, passable) bass, and a drum loop cd I got from a friend. Works good enough to show my guitar teacher my feeble attempts at songwriting, recording stuff so I don't forget it, and to record some (attempts at) shredding to impress my non-musical friends. I also downloaded Pro Tools Free to compare, but havn't played around with it for more than 5 minutes. My suggestion is get Pro Tools Free, it should be more than enough for what you want to do, and spend the money you would've used on something else.

Comment

for "free" stuff, Adobe Audition/cool edit works good.

but if your gonna pay a few bucks, then get pro tools/mbox. got mine off ebay for $399.99 with some extra plugins. records EXACTLY how your shit sounds. the focusrite pre-amps are awesome

Comment

Audacity is a great Open Source Recording Program.

You will need LAME Encoder to make mp3s with it.

Comment

Thanks guys for the input.

Comment

After looking around, I settled on Cakewalk Home Studio 2 with a Tascam US-122 interface.

Ever try this combo?

Comment

cake walk guitar track pro..with a tascam us-122 interface,and well it was pretty worthless. for some odd reason there was allways this Delay that screwed everything up, you hit record and the tracks would play back but when you played with the tracks the track being recorded would allways be late, made it impossible to Make a decent demo

Comment

I use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and I love it.

Comment

I dont have any personal xperience with the Cool edit, I have all hardware (tascamm 2488) but I have heard nothing but good things. The only time I have used Cool Edit, I was making a radio commercial for my Insurance Agency and the Radio Station uses it...and they love it
                        Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          cake walk guitar track pro..with a tascam us-122 interface,and well it was pretty worthless. for some odd reason there was allways this Delay that screwed everything up, you hit record and the tracks would play back but when you played with the tracks the track being recorded would allways be late, made it impossible to Make a decent demo

[/ QUOTE ]

Multitracking with a USB soundcard can be iffy at times. USB 2.0 is OK, but even if your machine is a few years old running USB 1.0, the lag time will cause your tracks to be delayed.

I built a machine for recording a few years ago only to find this out along with a few other things. That machine is now the "family" computer.

Did some more homework and built another machine that works great. I use Guitar Tracks Pro with an M-Audio 410 24 bit soundcard.

Comment

i use sonar 3 with the aardvark q10
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Home studio I dunno about other than my wifes nephew has it and hates it. I like the simplicity and interface of GT Pro.

Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro is simple to use and works well for me. I'm sure there's better but for the price of it you can't beat it. Especially if you are used to a 4 track.
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X