• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recording software

for me :

Cakewalk Sonar 4

Boss GT-6 for amp modeling/effects

EMU 1212m (great audio card with good ASIO drivers and same AD/DA converters as the high end Pro Tools hardware :-) )

Behringer ADA-8000 8 channel preamp with ADAT pipeline.

Comment

I guess I'll wait for the stuff to come in and check it all out;

Again, I got
      Cakewalk HomeStudio 2
      TASCAM US-122 interface
      and MusiciansFriend threw in a IK MEDIA AMPLITUBE LIVE KC, whatever the hell that is. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I'm new at this, so my digital recording lingo is not up to par,..yet.
      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Just make sure that your hardware is good. If you plan on using your stock soundcard and a computer microphone, plan on it sounding like ass. I've tried for hours and cannot get it to sound good at all. EQ only goes so far. If it's a bad sound, EQ will not fix it.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Just make sure that your hardware is good. If you plan on using your stock soundcard and a computer microphone, plan on it sounding like ass. I've tried for hours and cannot get it to sound good at all. EQ only goes so far. If it's a bad sound, EQ will not fix it.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I don't know if the US-122 has an effect on the sound card.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/240868/

I do own a couple SM-57 mics and 2 laptops that are top of the line, so, I'll be stopping by Barnes and Noble today to pick up a Home Studio 2 book to read up on before it gets here.

I'll pick up on this recording thing quick, I'm just a little green in the area right now.

Comment

Mics are a good start. Now, it's pretty much the soundcard you have to worry about.

Comment

You can try:

Sound Card: M-audio - Audiophile... really good shaitza (cheap too).
              Software: Sonar all the way... really good stuff!
              I agree that you should Mic up your cab... line in of Line 6 stuff is not the same (IMHO).
              I like condenser mics much better than the Sure-57.
              Make sure you have lots and lots and lots of space on your hard drive.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

and MusiciansFriend threw in a IK MEDIA AMPLITUBE LIVE KC, whatever the hell that is. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is Amp modeling software, has some decent sounds in it.

You should try it out [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I noticed the system requirement for Home Studio 2 shows it needs a 500MHz processor. One of my laptop only has a 400MHz. Will this program still run using a 400MHz. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Probably will, but you'll be more limited in the amount of tracks and plugins/effects.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      You can try:

Sound Card: M-audio - Audiophile... really good shaitza (cheap too).
                      Software: Sonar all the way... really good stuff!

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 on M-Audio cards and Cakewalk software. (Then, should it be +1, +1?)

Keith
                      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I can't see myself, for the most part, using anymore than 6 tracks.

I may just take a run by Best Buy and check out some other computers. Maybe a desktop would be better in the long run.

Comment

The interface takes the place of the soundcard, so dont worry about that. It seems fine. It says it can route the monitoring for zero latency so that should handle some of the " delay" problem mentioned earlier.

Comment

Thanks
                            I broke down and just bought a Dell desktop with all kinds of crap on it. It'll be faster with more space and dedicated to just the Home Studio.
                            I just need to wait for it all to come in. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X