Yet another Sonic Maximizer thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Sonic Maximizer thread.

So I won an Ebay auction for a BBE 422 Sonic Maximizer. I realize everyone says the 422A is the one to get, but really, how much of a difference can there be? A friend of mine just bought a 462. I have also seen 401, 402, 482, and 482i.

The 400s are line level, and the 800s are mic. level. Some of the variations are just single channel, for example the 401 is a single channel version of the 402.

I assume that the lower numbers are simply older models. Does anyone actually know what the differences are? Has anyone here actually tried all of the different ones, in order to give a qualified opinion on which one is the best?

I figured it was about time I got one, since I have 3 different tube heads, so this thing has to do something for at least one of them. Unfortunately it seems that guitar players are catching on to the 422A, and whenever they show up on Ebay, they tend to sell for a lot more than the other models.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Yet another Sonic Maximizer thread.

The 362s are single channel but with ganged stereo inputs/outputs, 400s are stereo dual channel with two sets of controls and the 800 has XLR inputs....I believe thats the only diference...

Comment

The 362s are years newer than the 4 series so the lower number/older product theory doesn't
      apply. Just bear in mind a little goes a long way as far as settings.

The newer units are said to have too much sizzle and that's why they supposedly are not as good for guitar. Twisteramps and Cleveland Metal know a lot about BBEs, so does Bill Z.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

i've got a 362 i bought about 4 years ago. the "a" channel blew out on me or something. the thing does amazing things to thicken up your sound but i'm wondering if i was using too much lo contour, cuz i have two crate bv 120's and after i started using the bbe they make some funky sounds (hopefully just the tubes) but then again it may have something to do with my g-major. i gotta go thru my rack piece by piece and see whats going on... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        Hear the universe scream
        Bleeding from black holes
        Whom horns careless
        And whom God mourns

Comment

I had the 422 and the 422A...there was no difference that I could tell at the time...yer fine..

those are the ones you want...good deal man!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I had the 422 and the 422A...there was no difference that I could tell at the time...yer fine..

those are the ones you want...good deal man!

[/ QUOTE ]

hey horns, what do you know about the 362? you say the 4's are what you want, so you've got me curious! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            Hear the universe scream
            Bleeding from black holes
            Whom horns careless
            And whom God mourns

Comment

well I always run mine in stereo with my Marshall 9200...so I always need a two channel...I never owned a single channel unit like the 362.

John has a real old one..a 401 I believe ...but it was pretty lame..he's got a 422a...I got a 422.

after the 422 series...they just ruined them...all the ones after that have just WAYYYYYYY too much "sizzle"..and white noise...I hate that!

like the 462s...or 482s or whatever...horrible.

those are made more for audio enhancement , PA and shit...not feasbale for Guiatr racks IMO...even though they say it is great for guitar racks...

The guys at Barcus Barry told me the best ones were the 422s...and that is when they just stopped making them...and went with their updated 462..I believe....I bought one of those years ago...and YUK!!!!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I bought a 462 new many years ago to use with my 5150 and it was a great unit. When I starting building my rack I continued to use it and also bought a 422a to try out. Needless to say the 422A has been in the rack ever since and the 462 was promptly moved for duty in the home stereo. They are both great, but the 422's are definitely more suited for guitar.

- Joel
                RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                RIP Dime

Comment

Working...
                X