Re: Just bought a jcm 800!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    Great responses! Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
    [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got a 2203 - old, battered & definitely second hand. I used to run it with preamp gain low, & output (master) on about 8 - BUT I was also using a THD Hotplate to reduce the volume. It was either that or demolish the house with the noise. Not enough gain on the 2203 I got - & I didn't really like the preamp overdrive tone - although running various pedals (Ibanez OD850 Overdriver, Line 6 DM4 set to a MetalZone simulation - which is better than the real thing IMHO) through the amp on a clean setting, I got a pretty good sound. At the volumes I had to play in the home environment, the hoplate didn't really do the job - it took all the tone with the volume & made everything sound a bit fizzy. It's much better at controlling the higher volumes - used as a master volume so the output tubes on the amp are still working hard - when it doesn't lose so much tone. I bought a Mesa Rectoverb & don't use pedals anymore as it's got gain to spare. I'm keeping the 2203 in any case - it's rock history - & maybe I'll get to use it as it was intended with a wall of 4x12's in front of a few thousand screaming fans.......... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

From my understanding the diodes actually make distortion and do not force the preamps to get distorted. Any one else want to chime in for another opinion!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct. A diode bridge (like the 2210 has) literally cuts off the top and bottom of the waveform as it passes them, thus creating distortion. This is a very harsh distortion, but the tubes in the preamp that come after the diodes help smooth out that harshness. This is really much more akin to using a distortion pedal in front of a clean amp than to pushing a medium gain amp (2203) with a clean(ish) boost.

Comment

Distortion pedals... BAH!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            there are 2 different 2210 models.

"the later one has higher gain than the earlier one" -anthony at voodoo amps

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a 1987, Trace said by looking at my circuitry, it was a high gain model.

I should have never fucking got rid of that amp, if only the clean didn't suck on it.

Comment

Yea, Deneb.. me too and I also agree, the clean SUCKED.

Comment

You guys nailed it. The clean on the 2210 is as BAD as the overdrive is GOOD. It's a one-trick pony, but I love that one pony!
                [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Well i didn´t expect a great clean tone either so im fine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  Now i just have to get the cab that i ordered (angled 1960 with g12-80´s).

Comment

Since we're talking about 2210s, are the 4210 guts exactly the same?
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

same guts on the combo afaik.

Comment

I've always been confused with the JCM 800's.

You've got the 2203 and the 2210, fair enough. But I always thought the 2210 had part ss circuitry, which as a side-effect, gave it more midrange. But now I read there's an earlier 2210 version, did this not have the diode-clipping circuitry?

I'm still ony my quest for the ultimate MOP tone (which I believe to be the best sound for metal, ever). Now all I have to ask for this, is if the poweramps in the 2203 and 2210 are the same? Because since I'll be slaving a Mark IIC+'s preamp section through the Marshall, that cancels out the marshall's preamp. So are they the same poweramps?
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

They're the same power amps. I'm pretty sure that both the early and later 2210 have diode clipping (the only ss circuitry in the amp, besides channel switching), and the differences are very minor. Even the 2203 changed some over the years. Later ones definitely have a bit more preamp gain than the earlier ones. All of their amps changed a bit year-to-year, but the change in any given model will be fairly minor.

Comment

Working...
                          X