THD Univalve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD Univalve

Has anybody here played a THD Univalve? It sounds like a pretty complicated but flexible set-up.

Re: THD Univalve

I had one. Cool amp. I wouldn't call if very complicated...it's pretty much a no brainer to operate. It has a sort of punchy 70s Marshall vibe to it (as I hear it, anyway). The built in attenuator and interchangability of tubes is great, but it really has it's own voice, I found, regardless of which tubes you run. I also had a bivalve which is glassier, more explosive. That one actually reminded me a lot of a Hiwatt crossed with a Marshall. Lots of midrange detail.

THD amps are built like tanks, too, with really big, sexy trannies.

Comment

I have a Flexi-50 which I think is the best of their amps (so far) Like the Bivalve, you can pretty much use any tubes and it has a very handy bias feature so you can switch tubes pretty quick. It is loud as hell, which is why I tried to sell it for a while. But I got a Hot Plate attenuator and that helped. The master is quite affective too, but using the attenuator sounds better to my ears. I think it is a great bargain. Pair it with a Dr Z Z-Best cab and it will sound fantastic.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I had one. Cool amp. I wouldn't call if very complicated...it's pretty much a no brainer to operate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking more of the circuitry; anything with so much going on can't be an easy design. But hey, if it's reliable and built well, it might be worth my while. I'm using a 100-watt head right now, and it's just too much for the small and medium sized clubs where my band plays. I'd rather have to drive the shit out of a 15-watt head that have a 100-watt head on 3. Thanks for the info!

Hey, what made you get rid of it?

Comment

I see what you mean...yeah, there is probably a lot going on with those various features. I sold mine when I replaced it with a Peters 3CP1 (another single-ended tube swapper design), which was more to my liking (master volume, more modern drive tones). The bivavle I kept longer...great amp, but ended up using it less and less.

Comment

Working...
          X