Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1x12 vs 2x12 x 4x12 etc

[ QUOTE ]
    How do you guys take 4x12's anywhere? I kind of want one for the sound, but I don't have people to haul my shit around for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You need one of these compact Crate 4x12s! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/487711/
    I got one last year when they were on sale for $250. The Crate/St. Louis Music speakers actually sound very good, and it's very light weight so you can carry it by yourself no problem and easily store it in your car trunk! It even has a metal speaker grille
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i admit i am on the lucky side as far as PAs and sound guys. unless we're playing a REALLY small dive, which isn't very often we have no problems with PA systems and sound guys. and if we check out a venue and it's weak in the sound department we hire a system/sound guy from a local established sound company.

i play fairly loud, my S120 is cranked to around 6 on the master, but the sound is still controllable. i HATE it when bands are so loud that you can only hear the guitars. we opened for some band that is supossed to be hot shit and all you could hear was their guitars. it sucked!!! we got all the attention because we were balanced and the people could hear the vocals (which for our music is important). half of the audience walked out after that bands 3rd song because the sound was painful!!! sad part, it was their sound guy!!! i guess they though it sounded tuff or something....who knows?!

back to the topic...maybe you should go and scope the venues you will be playing. see what their house system and sound guy is like. watch some bands perform and listen to how they sound in the room. talk to some of them after they play and get their opinion on the sound, etc. every venue is different in every way!!!
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I love playing loud and went through the period in the late mid to late 80's where there was local competition to be not only being the best in town but the loudest too. I would using 4 4x12 into little 400-600 seaters and still ran through the PA for balance. Although we were loud as hell I was not overpowering the rest of the band. Most of it was all show but its cool have four 4x12's running even if it's not ear piercing volumes from the amps. I think this is where I picked up my liking for loudness, that and a hard hitting and hard headed drummer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I like to not only hear the music, I want to feel it, and I want it clubbing me over the head and in the chest, even when seeing other bands.

I would say go for the 4x12 for sure. They can work in small venues and larger venues where a 1x12 may not work if the PA isn't powerful enough..
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          How do you guys take 4x12's anywhere? I kind of want one for the sound, but I don't have people to haul my shit around for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
          You need one of these compact Crate 4x12s! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/487711/
          I got one last year when they were on sale for $250. The Crate/St. Louis Music speakers actually sound very good, and it's very light weight so you can carry it by yourself no problem and easily store it in your car trunk! It even has a metal speaker grille

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow light and cheap. I might have to get one of those things

Comment

How many ohms is it?

I might be able to get a 4x12 from my friend its a cheap crate, but I think it will do.

Comment

I don't think the rating would matter much for me, I'd be using my Soldano Astroverb through it (only 20 watts)

Comment

NOTHING beats a 4 X 12 cab ...except maybe four 4 X 12 cabs..!!!

This is TRUTH! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  NOTHING beats a 4 X 12 cab ...except maybe four 4 X 12 cabs..!!!

This is TRUTH! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true Bill. At Black Market we had one of Lemmy's cabinets. A Marshall 4x15. SICK ASS!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    How many ohms is it?

I might be able to get a 4x12 from my friend its a cheap crate, but I think it will do.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    MF's site says the Crate is 100 watts, but the back of my cab says it's actually 120. The cab is 8 ohms with all four speakers being 8 ohms.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DUDE! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Hear the universe scream
                      Bleeding from black holes
                      Whom horns careless
                      And whom God mourns

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        How many ohms is it?

[/ QUOTE ]
                        MF's site says the Crate is 100 watts, but the back of my cab says it's actually 120. The cab is 8 ohms with all four speakers being 8 ohms.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah that looks like a good one, but shipping is gonna suck, and you said you get it for like 250 lol [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X