Boss GT-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss GT-6

I used one for around 1 year. I plugged it into my Carvin X100B which was set on the clean channel with the EQ flat. It sounded fantastic live, it took 1 minute to set up (Guitar-GT6-Amp). My bandmate at the time played through a Vetta 2 halfstack. It competed with the Vetta 2 with no problem and our sound together was outstanding. I recently bought another one and it is arriving tomorrow. I just can't get away from the versatility that a modeling processor has to offer when playing in a cover band live whether rehearsing or gigging. Sure, they give up a little in the "real cranked tube amp" department but they also make it up in spades when I can co from a bank of Marshall patches to a bank of Mesa's and also have JC120 and Super Reverb patches for all my clean parts. Not to mention the wah, tuner, noise gate, effects and portability of bringing to a gig:
    2 guitars
    1 GT6
    1 Tube amp head
    2 2 x 12 cabinets
    I bring a few spare instrument cords too.
    Anybody else use a modeling processor with a standard tube amp live?

Re: Boss GT-6

Hey John, that's kinda like what I was doing last year when I was playing in a cover band. I have the Korg AX1500G and went guitar-Korg-amp (single Recto w/1x12 widebody cab). Most of the time, I bypassed the korg and was going straight to the amp. But it was nice to have the Korg for certain songs - and for the tuner! When using the korg, I had the Recto on the clean channel also. So for a gig I brought:
    2-3 guitars
    1 AX1500G
    1 Tube amp head
    1 1x12 cab
    cords
    It worked great!
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I thought the AX1500G was sweet too. At one point I was running the GT6 through a Dual Rectifier because I thought the Mesa model on it sounded better than the actual Dual Rectifier did. The main reason for that was most of the gigs we played didn't allow me to turn up the Mesa loud enough for it to start sounding killer.

Comment

i'm using the XT Live with my .50 cal (fx return) with pretty good results. i'd rather use a tube amp cranked but pissing off the sound man is a bad idea. and they always want it too damn quiet. metal is supposed to be loud!
        but if we can't be loud - we still need to sound loud.
        2 guitars
        wireless
        20' cable
        pod xt live
        20' cable
        fx return on tube head
        i like it.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

btw the gt-6 or gt-8 is what Opeth and Daylight Dies use live.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have seen a fair amount of GT6's used by pros live.

Comment

I saw Opeth 2 years ago at the Mason Jar in AZ. and Michael was playing through a JCM800 stack with you guessed it a Boss GT-6 up front! He sounded awesome!

Comment

I was using my Digitech RP80 (you can stop laughing in a couple of minutes) thru my Traynor YCV40 tube combo before I sold the amp. It sounded really good, the Traynor has a very good, almost Fender-like clean. I'm sure it would have sounded much better with the more powerful GT-6

I was thinking about running one with my Peavey XXX stack, but the XXX sounds so good by itself, who knows...

Comment

I love the sound of a good tube amp live. What I don't like is being forced to have a floor full of pedals and cables and tap dancing while I am singing and playing. I am willing to sacrifice a little for the convenience of a modeling processor as powerful as the GT6. It sounds real enough to my ears, the crowd loved my tone and having all those presets at my feet really comes in handy when you are playing in a cover band that covers metal from the 80's, 90's and today.
                  For instance: going from Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult to A Girl Like You by The Smithereens to Slither by Velvet Revolver to The Trooper by Iron Maiden requires completely different gain, tone and EQ settings.
                  Heck, the BOC and the Smithereens songs are almost clean compared to the Velvet Revolver and Iron Maiden songs.
                  The patches required for these songs IMHO:
                  Don't Fear the Reaper: Mesa Mark series (or even a Vox AC30TB) with the gain dialed way down and nice lush reverb.
                  A Girl Like You: Straight up JCM800 2203 with the gain around 70% and a dry signal.
                  The Trooper: Mesa Rectifier with delay and wah.
                  Slither: Marshall Silver Jubulee (or a modded Marshall JCM800) with delay and reverb and a wah pedal.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    btw the gt-6 or gt-8 is what Opeth and Daylight Dies use live.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, now i'll have to take my GT-6 to a Opeth show, hook his and my GT-6 together with a midi cable and copy his patches into mine [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

"The Trooper" with wah? Sacrilege! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Don't Fear the Reaper: Mesa Mark series (or even a Vox AC30TB) with the gain dialed way down and nice lush reverb.
                        A Girl Like You: Straight up JCM800 2203 with the gain around 70% and a dry signal.
                        The Trooper: Mesa Rectifier with delay and wah.
                        Slither: Marshall Silver Jubulee (or a modded Marshall JCM800) with delay and reverb and a wah pedal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would play all them with Uberchall, gain all the way up, or MAXED like Bill says [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          "The Trooper" with wah? Sacrilege! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Doesn't the ending to the second guitar solo have wah in it?? Man, I better listen closer to that song.
                          I play that part!

Yea, we were considering the Ubershall patch for Don't Fear the Reaper. Either that or the Diesel Herbert. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          If you add a Metal Zone to it the patch it almost sounds perfect. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

my last band was a heavy-metal band, and we had to play some covers too sometimes including some blues, soft rock, pop etc. songs. Man I hate to play those friggin' covers. I hate I hate I hate [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I only used one setting for all our songs, metal zone into various amps, bretty scooped settings (wich I usually don't like) and gain MAXED [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I did it with purpouse because I hate those fuggin' covers, if i play them, then I will make my own versions of them.
                            Like we were playing Clapton's Cocain, I hitted the the big nu-metal power chords on low strings and when It was the solo time I played sweep picked arpeggios at 300 bpm.

But I also got bretty good tone for different songs by using only the volume and tone knob and playing with different feel. I got a lot of different tones. I perfer that way than using GT-6 because I never really liked those floorboard pedals and I'm too stoopid to make some tones with them. [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Nope, no wah on the studio version, although Dave does do his solo (your part) with wah sometimes on some parts during live versions, like the "Rock In Rio" version of "The Trooper". The older those guys get, the more wah they seem to like to use... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X