Thinking about using the XT Live thru the PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about using the XT Live thru the PA

Last week the bass player and I broke up our band and we are getting a chick to sing and expand the range of songs we can cover. This has me thinking about expanding our range my range of guitar tones. Previously I stuck to using nothing but my Marshall and a wah. I did put an otherwise cool pedal board together but the then the thought of all the tapdancing i would be doing stopped me from using it, so I kept it simple.

What I would like to do now is just use something like the Pod XT Live, straight to the PA and just have it coming through my monitor so I can hear myself. The monitor would not be plugged into the PA in any way, just straight off the XT Live. It would be good for this yes?

This setup would not only give me all the sounds and flexibility I would need, it would be hella easy to cart around, bonus!!

Let me know what you think.

Re: Thinking about using the XT Live thru the PA

it depends on the type of music. If you are doint cover songs and need a wide variety of sounds and effects then why not? I personally wouldn't use one by itself but I'd certainly A/B it with a real amp so you could use both [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

i'm heading over to the line 6 site now, gonna buy the metal shop model pack. i remember a while back reading some guys were talking about these amps that were coming out designed specifically for modelers, such as xt live, that would perfectly reproduce what you hear in headphones without losing any gain or tone at extremely loud volumes. if this is in fact true i am definitely buying one cuz i get very nasty sounding tones out of this thing, and you can't beat the versatility. i did run the xt live straight to a board once and it lost a lot of it's balls. this will need to be rectified!
      Hear the universe scream
      Bleeding from black holes
      Whom horns careless
      And whom God mourns

Comment

You would need a powered monitor, or some sort of power amp for your personal monitor, a POD has no power section.

Also see my comments on being in the PA in the "1x12 vs 2x12..." thread.

Comment

I thought the POD can run headphones just fine?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I thought the POD can run headphones just fine?

[/ QUOTE ]
            Do you really want to use headphones live? If you have absolutely no other option (I'm assuming somebody is holding you at gunpoint), then try it. I personally would strongly not recommend this. You might be allowed six inches of stage romage. Not awesome.

As for hooking it up to a PA, it probably won't be that bad. It beats the hell out of plugging into the PA directly from a distortion pedal.

Remember also that you should have a decent amplifier to begin with. You're not going to sound like a Marshall through a Rogue.

Comment

Yes, I'll be pumping it through the PA and listening to it from a powered monitor. Headphones, well, I'm not a fan of Linkin Park, lol.....

The main trick is working out if I can have it outputting to the PA and a powered monitor at the same time.

Comment

Just had a look at the other thread about the PA stuff. We have our own PA, so it's a known quantity that's always there, it's based on a Mackie powered FOH setup. We also have our own soundguy who we also cart around. My Marshall was always miked up through the PA and the bass already goes direct through a DI box, and he uses his rig just for stage volume. I don't really sing, so I want to use my monitor to hear my guitar from the XT Live, so I can simplify things and access a lot more sounds.

Comment

I figured headphones take about the same amount of power as an in-ear monitor, didn't realize you did not mean that kind of monitor

Comment

Sorry, in my mind I knew I was talking about a powered wedge monitor and I didn't realise it could have been taken a different way. Our old singer had the wireless in-ear monitors happening.

Comment

Did he take them along with his mic stand scarf when he left? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

You're a funny guy Gary....lol....they belonged to him and I hope he gets use out of them now as they cost a bit....

Failing any new quick insights, I'll be getting the XT Live tomorrow or Monday. Need to start playing with it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Yes, I'll be pumping it through the PA and listening to it from a powered monitor. Headphones, well, I'm not a fan of Linkin Park, lol.....

The main trick is working out if I can have it outputting to the PA and a powered monitor at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only can you output seperately to the powered monitor and the PA but you can also send different signals to each one.

Comment

ooh, I like the sound of that....I think this is a must for the new band.....

Comment

I used Boss GT6 live. I ran one output into a stage amp with the cabinet modeling off and the signal wet. I ran the other output to the board with the cabinet modeling on and the signal dry. It sounded great and it took 2 minutes to set up and break down.

Comment

Working...
                              X