hi gain pre tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi gain pre tubes

I just lost my V1 ecc83s and saw this on ebay. currently I have 3 JJ ecc83s's (same as these), this guy says putting this sovtec at V3 is the ticket. I gotta get some new ones, I know I can get the JJs cheaper from Bob at eurotubes. but I'm thinking this might be better, any thoughts, thanks
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...325218792&rd=1
    I say the boy ain't right!

Re: hi gain pre tubes

I didn't like the JJs at all. But preamp tubes are pretty cheap, so I'd recommend you get a bunch and experiment. In my Laney, the tubes in V1 and V2 affect the tone most so I'm not sure why he says to put it in V3.

Comment

Never tried the JJ preamp tubes, but I use JJ EL84 power amp tubes with EH 12AX7 preamp tubes and really dig them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I bought this little amp (Peavey Bravo)off a friend of mine who is also friends with Bob who runs eurotubes, distributer of JJs. so it came with a new pair of JJ el84's and the 3 ecc83s's. Bob said this was his hottest and highest gain set up. its pretty good, not a bad sound at all, could just use a little more gain.

Comment

The JJ preamp tubes are great, but you have to put them in the right amp to get the full benefit. They sound great in Marshalls, Bogners, and many other amps. They on the other hand sound like complete crap in Mesa amps. The JJ are a dark sounding tube and will sound better in more midrangey, trebely sounding amps. I have them in one of my modded jcm800 and they sound great. If you want to try a great preamp tube try the Chinese 9th generation 12ax7. They sound incredible. Especially for high gain.

Comment

Paul hit it on the head. JJ's just don't sound good in MESA/Boogie amps. Even my old MK series head. They're just too darkly voiced for these amps for some reason. I'm running a wild tube setup. A combination of MESA (preamp), JJ (EL-34 and phase inverter), Svetlana (preamp), and Sylvana tubes (just 6L6GC's). It takes A LOT of mixing and matching, but I've found what I personally like. Try things out and see for yourself!

Comment

Hey John, Do you really hear a difference when using a phase inverter? I really think its a hype to just make a few extra dollars on a tube. I have a phase inverter in my uber and switched it out to a regular 12ax7 and hear no difference whatsoever. I guess it makes me feel better knowing I have a pi in there but when it comes down to tone I really notice no difference.

Comment

Same here. I use it for piece of mind I guess. It's blanced and graded. I can understand the grading process, just not the whole blancing thing. Is it how they are burned in?? Pete??

Comment

how about jj's in a powerball? prob too dark?

Comment

balanced means the triodes are matched (common preamp tubes are made up of 2 triodes). Whether it's advantageous or necessary to have a matched tube in the phase inverter (inbetween the preamp and the poweramp) position is something people argue about. Ultimately the best way to decide if you want a balanced tube there is to try it and compared to a non-balanced one and see which you like better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the input, I asked the same thing on the Peavey amp forum and got pretty much the same answers concerning using a phase inverter. can't hurt. thanks

Comment

I have tested it both ways untill I was blue in the face and I never heard any difference. I really think the whole pi thing is bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                        X