Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home recording - minimum system requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home recording - minimum system requirements?

I need to put together a PC to bring to our rehearsal space, something very basic. It would only need to record two tracks at a time, probably just drums (1 overhead mic, 1 trigger module out), and I really don't want to buy any additional equipment. Due to the hazardous environment - smoke, beverages, clumsy bandmates - I don't want to bring my tower from home, so I pieced together a "slimline" desktop case with a P3/500 CPU, 512MB RAM and a 30GB hard drive. For software, I'd use trusty old Cakewalk Pro Audio 3 and probably install my Echo Mia card.

Cakewalk's requirements are far lower, so I don't foresee any issues. Can anyone think of a reason why that wouldn't be enough horsepower for basic recording?
    sigpic

Re: Home recording - minimum system requirements?

<font color="aqua">I can't imagine you having a problem at all with that setup, what soundcard would you be using? </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Right now it just has an old SB Live, which was part of a MF home recording package "back in the day". I would probably take the Echo Mia from my tower and try it in the P3, although for scratch drum tracks it probably wouldn't be necessary.
      sigpic

Comment

<font color="aqua">agreed, you'd be fine with the sound blaster, especially since you're only using a couple of tracks. </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

OK, well hopefully I can try this out soon. I just need to resist this strange desire to attempt rack-mounting the PC...
          sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            OK, well hopefully I can try this out soon. I just need to resist this strange desire to attempt rack-mounting the PC...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not strange at all. I think that would be cool! Go for it [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

rack it up!!!!!!!!!
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i think i would go with a mac + garageband.
                i heard the new nin album was recorded using garage band.

Comment

We racked up all our 'puter's for editing LA Metal. Pretty handy actually... Great way to keep beer and clumsy people out of there. Now just as long as you don't let clumsy people USE the puter, you'll be fine!!

Comment

We used a very similar set-up a few years back and never had any problems. I think we used an M-Audio delta 44 soundcard with break-out box. I like haveing a break-out box with 1/4 ins/outs for recording instruments straight into.
                    Good deals with:
                    Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Just make sure you run into the Line In, not the Mic in [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                      Are you running the mics into a mixer? If not, see about getting at least a small one, or an Alesis 3630 to serve as a buffer as well as something to convert the mic plugs to 1/4"-1/8" jacks.
                      Of course if you're taking the Echo, you probably don't have to worry about that.

Put a small fan next to the PC to keep the smoke from getting in the vents.
                      Put a clear plastic dropcloth over the keyboard.
                      Put a bunch of small furniture or amp stuff in front of the PC to keep people away from it.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm not using anything in this configuration that I'm very attached to! The PC is an old Micron that was destined for the junkpile at work, but a CPU upgrade and some extra RAM have made it functional once again. I've tested the SB Live card with a Johnson J-Station and it should have no problem with a line-level input from a drum trigger module. I have a little Behringer mixer if I need it.

It would be a little ironic if I actually started using this setup for recording on a regular basis, as I've been neglecting my "real" PC that was purchased for the very purpose of home recording.
                        sigpic

Comment

Actually you'd be surprised how recording live to 2 tracks improves a band's tightness, because you know that you can't screw up and fix it with an overdub later.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think your pc will be fine for two tracks at time,but you cannot use too many plugins during mixing in my opinion.If your using a sound blaster use this driver:
                            http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1
                            it will improve latency time with EMU10K1 and EMU10K2 based soundcards

Comment

Working...
                            X