Tubes for an ENGL Fireball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes for an ENGL Fireball

I'll be receiving my Fireball soon and I'd like to know ... if any of you has one ... what are the better tubes to go in that thing

Re: Tubes for an ENGL Fireball

depends on what you like, tone-wise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I did a lot of preamp tube swapping when I got mine to try to tame the gain down a bit/make it more usable over a bigger sweep of the gain knob, and what I've currently settled on is GE JAN 5751s in V1 and V2, everything else stock.

Comment

I agree with Yabba, lower gain tubes really add a lot of clarity...although I have heard of other folks dropping in different 6l6s, it was eventually to their detriment...these amps really prefer stock tubes, which you gotta order from Engl should any of them crap out....

Comment

So basically stick with Engl power tubes and just experiment with the preamp tubes to suit your tastes? I loved my Fireball playing live...I received so many compliments on my tone too. When playing in the bedroom with the master around 9 o clock though I'm not driving the tubes to the point where they should be and can't get the same tone I love.
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

I've been told that the stock power tubes are Ruby 6L6GCs (Ruby 6L6GCMSTR, relabelled by engl), dunno if that's true or not, but if it is, that could make retubing with 'stock' tubes cheaper (although I know engl grades their tubes, and I'm not sure what their number corresponds to in terms of actual tube specs)

I know someone who retubed with the SED 'winged C' 6L6s and likes the results.

Comment

The grade just means that the tube idles at the same cathode current range as the other. That's why you want to make sure they are all the same or matched. Just a note of warning though. Make sure the place you buy your tubes from burns them in for at least 24 hours. Tubes that aren't burnt in and matched can be way off of one another after having played them for a while. So matching them then is pretty much a waste of time and your money.
            We must!
            We must!
            We must increase the bust!
            The bigger the better!
            The tighter the sweater!
            The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Interesting read, since I got an ENGL Fireball last week... I never have been so happy playing guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              Of course I haven't experimented with tubes at all so far.
              http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

what cab do you use ?

I'll probably try to get an ENGL cab sometime this summer but I'd like to know about your experience

Comment

by the way, it will be my first tube amp so do I have to plug in my guitar when it's on stanby ?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    by the way, it will be my first tube amp so do I have to plug in my guitar when it's on stanby ?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep,

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      what cab do you use ?

I'll probably try to get an ENGL cab sometime this summer but I'd like to know about your experience

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the ENGL standard 4x12 cab, with Celestion V60s.
                      This cab is unbelievable.
                      It did cost me 600 Euro, but in the store I compared it side by side with a Mesa recto cab that cost 1200 Euro.
                      Both me and our other guitarist thought that the ENGL sounded better, it somehow had more of a tight punch.

We both got the ENGL standard cab, and they totally blew our Behringer 4x12s out of the water. Way more punch and just great sound, especially for downtuning (we tune to B). They handle the low frequencies perfectly.

And with the Fireball on top... well let me say, each time I play through that rig I immediately start to smile from ear to ear and just can't stop. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      My Peavey XXL top will collect dust now, I think. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Soooo.... Fireball, or Powerball, THAT, is the question....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Soooo.... Fireball, or Powerball, THAT, is the question....

[/ QUOTE ]

from the clips I heard on rocksolidamp all I can say is that I wasn't really impressed with the Powerball. I thought the Fireball sounded way better. The best ENGL based on the clips I heard is the savage

Comment

You might want to go to the "Gear Talk" forum on www.hugeracksinc.com. There is a guy over there named Bernie who is a tech for Engl. I'm sure he or someone else can help you out as there are alot of Engl users over there.
                            Good deals with:
                            Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Powerball is much more versatile than Fireball,the forth channel is more smooth and bassy.But fireball has a great Marshall on steroids (lots of steroids!) kind of sound.I would never need a Powerball,so I'm really happy with my Fireball.You'll hear it when I'll finish recordings,I miced it with a sm57 and pushed it with a bad monkey overdrive at full level and gain dimed,using the Fireball gain at 1 (not o'clock!!) cos it has really too much gain! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X