Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retried the F-50 and the Single Recto...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retried the F-50 and the Single Recto...

I was in a rush because the store was closing. I picked up an Epiphone V to start and put the controls on the bridge pickup with a lot of treble.

Both amps had a really nice distortion channel. In that area, I'd be a while deciding between the two. At the moment, I'm liking the F-50's distortion a little more.

The clean channel was better on the F-50. The store owner came over and helped me tweak the rectoverb, and I just didn't like any of the sounds coming out at me. It was good, better than most, but it didn't place well against the F-50. I didn't even pull out the bright knob, I'd totally forgotten about it. I remember to try to pull it out when I got back to the rectoverb though to find out that it didn't have it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . I also love the F-50 because of the contour control. I need a really light, AC/DC-ish distortion and a heavier, Godsmackish distortion.

Just one question concerning the contour control. I didn't get as much time to mess around it as I would have like to. Is there a way of setting just how much gain the amp has before you kick in the contour control? I would like to have a semi-light distortion then kick on the contour and have somthing really brutal. I had the gain up all the way all the time, so when I kicked on the contour it put some more gain in, but not too much. Is there a way of setting just how much gain comes in?

Thanks for any replies.

Re: Retried the F-50 and the Single Recto...

for some reason, i never really liked the f series amps.
    i think it's because i liked the nomad's cleans/low gain sounds better and i liked the single recto's hi gain sounds better than the f series.
    for me, the f series falls a bit short on both channels.
    than again, many players love them

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Is there a way of setting just how much gain the amp has before you kick in the contour control? I would like to have a semi-light distortion then kick on the contour and have somthing really brutal. I had the gain up all the way all the time, so when I kicked on the contour it put some more gain in, but not too much. Is there a way of setting just how much gain comes in?

[/ QUOTE ]
      The contour control is preset and just kicks up the gain, bass and treble (slightly scooping the mids). Mesa describes this as the V setting on their guitars with the graphic EQ. On my F-30, I prefer the contour mode always on. The only way you can really adjust how much gain comes in is by using your guitar's volume control. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Personaly depending on how much you are looking to spend if you are gonna go with the recto series get a 3 channel dual! Very verstyle amp being able to go from AC/DC up to godsmack, in my opinion definly worth looking into a used one on ebay and spending the extra 3 to 4 hunder dollars.

Comment

The contour does just as Toejam said... Turning it on increases the gain and scoops the mids. I think the best distortion sound on the F-50 is this (I've had one for about a year). Select Contour mode. Dime the mids (anywhere in the last quarter of its sweep will do). Treble and bass at 12 o'clock (set these to taste. I usually have the highs a bit past 12 o'clock and the bass dialed back a bit depending on which guitar I'm using). Set the gain at 9 o'clock (try any where in the first quarter of the gain knob's range. Keep it low). Then, slam the front end with an overdrive of some sort and turn it up!!!! I either use an EQ (GE7 or MXR) or lately I've been using a BOSS SuperOD with the level set high, gain zero. It gives you a tight Marshall like mid crunch thing. Not a modern high gain sound, but great for 80's stuff.

I disagree with the post above that says the clean on the F series amps is lacking. I think the clean is excellent, and probably the strongpoint of this amp.

I had mine up for sale a couple of weeks ago and I'm back in love with it again.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            The contour control is preset and just kicks up the gain, bass and treble (slightly scooping the mids). Mesa describes this as the V setting on their guitars with the graphic EQ. On my F-30, I prefer the contour mode always on. The only way you can really adjust how much gain comes in is by using your guitar's volume control.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Shit, I was worried that was all the control it had concerning the contour. I'll be able to get around it still, it works. I hate using the guitar's volume live because it's so sensitive. My guitar seems to either be too damn loud or too soft, it's hard to get right to the spot where I need it quickly.
            [ QUOTE ]
            Personaly depending on how much you are looking to spend if you are gonna go with the recto series get a 3 channel dual! Very verstyle amp being able to go from AC/DC up to godsmack, in my opinion definly worth looking into a used one on ebay and spending the extra 3 to 4 hunder dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Agreed on the value for sure, but I'm busting the bank as it is! The F series come quite close to the flexibility I need on stage, closer than most so far. The Dual Recto would be absolutely perfect, one channel for each sound: clean, mid gain, balls to the wall gain, and then a solo switch to cut through the mix. Perhaps in a few years...

So yeah, I think I've come close to making up my mind as to wich amp will go on layaway. I'm quite heavily leaning on the F-100. The day that I go in, I'm going to try everything over one more time and go nuts, even if I don't make up my mind for hours. I don't think the shopkeepers will mind, I'm about to buy a $1500 setup from them for God's sake!

What cabs would you recommend putting on an F-100? I was thinking a Rectifer 2X12. Any thoughts?

All replies are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comment

I'd really recommend buying used with Mesa. They make their equipment like tanks. I've owned two different Mesa Heads and they're absolute work horses. If you play your cards right you can get a really nice setup for a lot less than buying a new one. The best part of all is that the used Mesa prices are pretty constant and they don't really dip down in value (if anything they go up just a bit). That way, if you ever choose to sell your rig and upgrade to something different you won't lose a couple hundred bucks in the transaction.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I'd really recommend buying used with Mesa. They make their equipment like tanks. I've owned two different Mesa Heads and they're absolute work horses. If you play your cards right you can get a really nice setup for a lot less than buying a new one. The best part of all is that the used Mesa prices are pretty constant and they don't really dip down in value (if anything they go up just a bit). That way, if you ever choose to sell your rig and upgrade to something different you won't lose a couple hundred bucks in the transaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's harder to put used stuff on Layaway. The only gear that Chesbro's in Idaho Falls gets is brand new, they don't take anything used. None of the other shops carry mesa around here. The closest I know of but have not been able to visit is in Boise, about six hours away. Salt Lake City also had Mesas, but they were all new as well.
                I want it to be brand new anyway, something to be proud of. This rig has a lot to do with my pride. I'm tired of owning second rate shit, I want something top of the line and Mesa is most definitely that. I don't want to hear "that's a good rig, but...". Nuh-uh. Go in, set up, sound great, and play great. These solid state amps that I've been using just don't cut it for any size gig I've found. Playing by myself is one thing, but you put one in a band and you find yourself needing to be louder all the time. Once you get into the 50% volume region it starts to sound like ass anyway. I would have thought that the Bandit 115 would be okay in a small bar, but it just barely put out enough. It started getting the hollow, bodiless sound to it anyway.

Again thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
                X