Amp clips, what do you look for???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp clips, what do you look for???

I get pinged numerous times from various people on different boards for amp clips of my amps. I really don't judge amps by clips alone, they do help but I think you need to play an amp to feel it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, If I were to record clips what do you guys look for in them? Do you like just a single track of the guitar and amp alone or do you like it with a backing track of bass and drums?
    shawnlutz.com

Re: Amp clips, what do you look for???

the voodoo amps site has great clips.

I personally don't like backing tracks, etc, because they take the main focus away from the amp's tone.

I look for rhythm and lead qualities. And I always like it best when an Amp toneclip is just a collection of very famous riffs and lead-licks, all with their best setting. (For example an AC/DC setting, a Testament, etc......) That gives you a lot of chances to judge and compare.

You can always start or end the clip with some of your own stuff, or with some riffs/settings you think definitly deserve being in the clip.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I prefer to hear an amp in person and in its proper context with a band, because each player is different - I only met one Marshall that sounded good loud; an Artist 3202 head - and because a compressed MP3 pumped through computer speakers simply cannot replicate the true tonal nuances of a cabinet. As well, some amps and amp settings get lost when you have drums and rhythm going, but may sound great in a solo spot.

Perfect example: my ex-singer and I had the exact same head - a Fender RocPro1000 - and he was always being drowned out while I was blaring. So we swapped guitars and I was still blaring. Then we traded amps (me through his TubeWorks 4x12 and he through my Carvin 2x12) and he was still drowned out, but at least he had a better tone than before [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      We even set up both amps (knobs) the same way, and he had a very bassy fat tone while I had a piercing mid-to-high tone.

Another example: My ex-bassist was in a band with 2 guys that had identical amps and settings - that scooped eq Metal tone - and he said the amps killed until the drums and bass came in, then the guitars sounded like bees in a jar [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I would never buy an amp from listening to clips. Actually, I listen to clips mainly to check out that persons playing to see how much more practice I need!!

Comment

Well guys, that's all cool. But Shawn's asking what you WOULD look for in a clip, if he WAS to record some. (Of course everyone prefers to hear the amp in real life).
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Thanks guys. I kind of have the same opinion that I don't put too much stock in amp clips but they do give you a general idea on the amount of gain and of some tones you can achieve the amp.

Case in point for me was the Bogner clips, there was one on there by Bob Savage that I kept lisntening to every couple weeks. I really didnt want to drop a couple large on an amp but I kept listening to the clip every couple weeks and it kept me drooling for one...evenutally snagged a good deal on eBay for a 101B [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Oops, I accidentally erased that part of my post earlier about at least being able to get an idea of the gain (min and max), clean section (flat, brittle, "Classic Peavey", useable, etc), as well as a general idea of the tone through the clip. It'd at least be enough to motivate someone to go find one to try out in person.

You might also be able to tell if it hisses more than you'd like, as some amps do.

Now, if I was combo shopping and wanted clips, I'd want:
              -Guitar only - no external gear unless you have exactly what I have (Dunlop High Gain Volume pedal, GCB-95 wah, Digitech TSR-12, SM-57, etc - no Hush units or other processors)
              -At least 4 clips - 3 distorted, one clean. Distorted clips should range from "where does the Gain knob start to show up" to a nice full rhythm (Paranoid, Iron Man, War Pigs, that sorta thing) to a solo tone that sings but isn't so saturated that it washes itself out (Black Magic Woman).

I'd also want to hear how working the guitar's volume affects the gain channels, and maybe some accessory items like an Afterburner and whatnot.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X