Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack EQ, EQ pedals ?

Ok, here's my problem :
    I've got a Randall RH200 and a 4x12 Marshall cab., cheap O.K. sounding equipment.
    I'me guessing if I want to "tweak" my sound a little, I'm going to need what I'd call a "rack EQ" meaning a big ass 20 to 30 bands EQ and to change my sound a little during solos, to get a middle boost or something, I'm going to need a little pedal EQ, like a 6 or 7 bands EQ.

First question : does that make any sense ?
    Second question : If so, what "rack EQ" would you suggest and what's the price range on it ? What Pedal EQ would you suggest, price range ?

Feel free to educate me, hahah.
    Thanks !

Re: Rack EQ, EQ pedals ?

For tone sculpting, get a parametric like a Furman PQ-3 and you will be very pleased. Around 100 bucks on the bay.

Graphics are ok for some things, but a parametric is much MUCH more useful.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      What Pedal EQ would you suggest, price range ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Boss GE-7.... Ebay has them pretty cheap.

Comment

Mxr 10 band 150$ new... will last forever..there indestructable.

Comment

Thanks for the advices guys ! I've had the same advices on other boards as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          ---
          About the Furman PQ3, I've only seen one on the bay but it seems I'm not going to be able to get one, since I live in France... Any other good pick in the same vein ?
          Thanks a lot !

Comment

TC Electronics 1140 would be a better unit and maybe more easily obtainable for you? Not sure. I have both units, and although the TC is transparent, quieter and certainly a better made unit, I still like my PQ-3 for some reason. Seems more alive and it imparts something unique to the tone (just being plugged into the loop and turned off even!) that is appealing to me. I figure it is some impedance buffer effect thing...

I would say a pedal EQ would be great for mid boost to get solos out front, but a parametric is VERY valuable to alter the tone. It will literally take a mild tone, and after manipulating certain frequancies, make the amp just grind better, or seem to have more perceived gain, without actually adding gain. It can add edge with out harshness or distortion. It can add low end authority without getting boomy etc. It just gives you surgical precision in the tone sculpting area that a graphic EQ has little or no ability.

They are quite different animals with different applications.

Comment

Alright [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] That's what I thought too but never had the chance to try my theories out, thank you sir !
              Well I guesss I'll be looking for that TC Electronics 1140...
              Once more : thank you for your advices !

Comment

I think I will get one of them KFK EQs. Same as the standard MXR with two outputs. For some reason it is cheaper too?!!

Comment

You could also look for a used ART Tube EQ. I bought one from a JCFer and have been very happy with it. It's a half-rackspace parametric unit that will fit on a pedalboard if necessary. Otherwise, you just have to search a little bit for a parametric pedal.
                  sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    You could also look for a used ART Tube EQ. I bought one from a JCFer and have been very happy with it. It's a half-rackspace parametric unit that will fit on a pedalboard if necessary. Otherwise, you just have to search a little bit for a parametric pedal.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Ok [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think I'm really going to have to hunt those parametric EQ down 'cause I don't seem to find any that easily...

Comment

The ART's come with a lot of approval from some respected people here, so, I would check one out if you see one. Discontinued i believe and getting scarce though.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy a Behringer parametric unit. I had one and it was a MAJOR tone coffin. It is quite pretty and shiny, but sounds like ass.

Parametrics seem to do best in a loop from my experiences. I do like a graphic in front if I were to use one for lead boost...

TC Electronics make a good Parametric pedal you watch for as well.

Comment

Well man, I must say you are of great help, my views were quite limited until then !
                        Thanks A LOT !

Comment

Ibanez had one from the same years as the 808 series. The PQ4 or PQ401. This took a few different shapes over the years.. PQ9, PQL. They have a programmable one as well...PPE1. Boss makes a nice little floor unit.. also PQ4.

I have a couple midi switchable rackmounts as well but I hardly use them at the moment. One is a Roland 660E, the other is a Boss. Both are quite involved in programming and flexibility, but being they're midi, they have that added edge.

Comment

I'll check that out too, thanks man !

Comment

I suppose none of you know of a site who could have a Furman PQ-3 ? By the way, I've read about the PQ-3B too, any difference ? Thanks guys !

Comment

Working...
                              X