Mesa poweramp opinions pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa poweramp opinions pls

Ok, if you had the choice between the stereo 2 - 100 watt/side power amp and the simul 2:90 which would you buy and why?

They had both of these at guitar center today for 500.00 each new. One was still in box unopened. They both run equal amounts of 6L6's (4/side) The simul 2:90 had better cooling and venting it seemed but the guy said the 100's sold better. The 2:90's had more features for sound shaping and I believe footswitchable power.

So, I have no idea since I did not try either.

Re: Mesa poweramp opinions pls

the 2-100 is meant more to be sold with the rec preamp which allready has the modern mode built in. the 2-100 also is suppose to be the exact same poweramp stage you would find in a regular dual recto. The 2-100 is designed to work with other power amps as well. My opinion out of the two go for the 2-90 with the more features, but it depends on what you are using it with and what sound you are trying to get!

Comment

By the way, they are not new if guitar center is selling them for that price. And if they are then Guitar center is going against mesa boogies sales policy, mesa's policy is strict on selling only at there suggested price! If you try to register your warrenty with mesa they will only warrenty the product from ship date as they see the $500 as it being sold as a used item.

Comment

TY for the comments. They had three out of rack which were their store demos, but the rep said one was still in the box, factory sealed, which was a 100/100. The 2:90 was drawing me closer to a sale just based upon features and the fact it seemed vented and fanned more efficiently but when he said "I have the 100 in factory box" (probably just saved the box) I was like, "well, I better do a little more research before I plunge into anything"

Comment

Hey,

The one function that the 2-100 has that the 2-90 doesnt is the bias switch. the 2-100 you can switch between the EL34's and the 6L6's. But the 2-90 has the deep and half power which is also good. Check mesa's site for a comparison. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In...reo_power.html

Comment

and hey, if you could get them both at that price you might want to buy them and sell them on ebay, you can get at least $700 for each one on the ebay........

Comment

Well if I had 1k that would be an option. I already dumped quite a bit into some great deals. I looked on eBay and it seems the 2:90's were selling @ 500+, the stereo hundred seems to have more demand and commands more.

Comment

I really like the modern and deep functions on my 2:90. If it were me, I'd go the 2:90 route.
                Good deals with:
                Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Working...
                X