Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just scored a jcm 800 head!

hi all

i'm excited to tell that i just bought a 1985 jcm 800 2210 head [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
    pics, review and well...more will follow once i got it (bought it via ebay).
    the amp is said to be in a very good condition, technically as well as cosmetically, but we will see...the seller has 59 out of 60 positive ratings, so i'm pretty sure it really is [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

damn, i can't wait [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] my lead guitar player uses an tsl 100 head, and hopefully my new marshall crushes his [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
    i'm pretty sure it will, as it can't even hold a candle volume-wise to my 50w mesa head.

greets

Re: Just scored a jcm 800 head!

Congrats!! I have a 2204 that I use and consider it my main amp. That thing should eat the TSL for breakfast, lunch AND dinner if its working properly. Turn it up!!

Comment

Major Congrats!

[ QUOTE ]
      my lead guitar player uses an tsl 100 head, and hopefully my new marshall crushes his

[/ QUOTE ]

That should not be a problem in any form, haha. He'll be crying.

Just remember, they aren't insane gain on their own. HOWEVER, they have major potential, and with a pedal, it will out perform and have considerably better tone than any post 900/2000 Marshall.

EMG 81s are a nice touch for them.

Pound the front of that 800 with a Boss OD-1 or an Ibanez TS-9 You'll be in Bay area thrash heaven.

If you want a seriously cool tone, find a Korg 104-DS pedal and it will be friggin Brutal.

A friend runs a Marshall JMP-1 in to his 800 and it sounds tremendous too, more versatile/usable than the Korg. Not that I like a JMP-1 alone, but into an amp that has some grunt already, it truly crushes for general metal.

Comment

aren't the 2210 and 2205 suppose to be inferior to the 2203 and 2204s ?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          aren't the 2210 and 2205 suppose to be inferior to the 2203 and 2204s ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2210/2205 have diode clipping that gives it more distortion. They also have the Pots mounted to the PC board. The 2203/2204 is pure tube but not as much gain, you really need a good pedal to push it. The 2203/04 vertical input the pots are not mounted to the PC board, but on the horizontal inputs they are. Technically the vertical 2203/04 is made better but not as much distortion. All of the 800 series are great amps though and you cant go wrong with any of them!

Comment

The 2210 was Marshalls answer to the 80's metal players who were craving gain and getting it by adding pedals. Marshall just included the "pedal" in the gain structure in the form or clipping diodes between the preamp tubes. What did it do?? They created a MONSTER. The 2210 kills and is so friggin loud you won't believe it. The clean channel isn't the greatest but it isn't unusable. The reverb is very good but that gain channel..... holy crap. Congratz on a great JCM800 choice!!

Comment

good to know ... I was always told to stay from those 2

Comment

Congrats!
                I'd buy one like this or the 50watt version 2205? when I find one.
                Think of Schenker... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Here are some really good rules of thumb:

No two JCM800 Marshall amps sound the same.
                  The 2203,2204,2205 and 2210 are all killer amps if you pick out a good one. I would venture to say that most of them are good ones and super roadworthy but once in a while a bad one slips through the cracks.
                  Most Marshall lovers either like the 2203-2204 OR the 2205-2210. Rarely do you find a Marshall user who likes both.
                  For metal you will need a pedal with the 2203-2204
                  For metal you will NOT need a pedal with the 2205-2210
                  The only down side of the 2205-2210 is that you can't remove the high gain circuit from the amp. Since the 2203-2204 doesn't have a high gain circuit you need to add a pedal to do it which is a nice option because you can always take it out of your signal path if you want.
                  The 2205-2210 also adds extra features like 2 channels, effects loop, direct line out and reverb.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Here are some really good rules of thumb:

No two JCM800 Marshall amps sound the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so true, even amongst the same model numbers. When you get one that stands out, hold onto it. I had several 2203's and 04's and I have kept only one of them (an 83 2203)

Congratulations on the new 2210, greta amp imho.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Congrats, I scored a 1984 2210 2 weeks ago myself [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      My cab is supposed to arrive any day now, can´t wait [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The clean channel isn't the greatest but it isn't unusable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't found a use for the clean on mine yet....
                        [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Well, as a side-effect (of the SS circuitry) the 2205 and 2210 have may more elaborate mid-rangy sound in their output. Which is undesirable for me, personally,
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                          X