Yamaha T-50, damn i am in love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha T-50, damn i am in love

So i picked up a Yamaha T-50 for $445 shipped. Let me tell you this baby is awesome, i dont remember the Soldano HR50 i had sounding this good. Kick ass guitar AMP and if you have the chance pick them up now while they are still cheap.....

Re: Yamaha T-50, damn i am in love

I always thought a Yamaha T50 was an amplifier. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

it is, forgot the AMP i was so excited, hold on let me edit it.

Comment

Seriously though, I have wanted one for a while, but I've never tried one. What is the gain like? Is it over-the-top distortion, or more like early Marshall?

Comment

I had one and it sounded like shit... but I think those amps were very inconsistent. Too many people have said that they sounded great, but a lot of others have had the experience I had.

Glad you got a good one!

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Seriously though, I have wanted one for a while, but I've never tried one. What is the gain like? Is it over-the-top distortion, or more like early Marshall?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is over the top, think hot hot rodded marshall, probaly as much gain as a mesa, but not the deep bottom end like a mesa, and it is more voiced like a marshall. I heard there are the same circuit as the slows and mr soldano designed them for yamaha. Great amp, if you get the chance to play one i would suggest it, and great bang for the buck.

Comment

I have a friend that uses the Soldano Yamaha for all kinds of music.
              Dave King His site with some clips. Satriani type stuff.
              Titanium Black A Band he used to be in.
              One Hard Krank His modern rock cover band.
              He also used to play in a 70's disco band and use that amp. He owns 3 or 4 of them and swears by them.
              Jerry
              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I had one and it sounded like shit... but I think those amps were very inconsistent. Too many people have said that they sounded great, but a lot of others have had the experience I had.

Glad you got a good one!

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Pete, I love you, man... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I've said it before and I'll say it again - these were the best tube amps I have ever owned. Great tone! Very melodic gain. Not an ultra-gain nu-metal amp, but great for 80's & 90's stuff. Good (not great) clean, but who uses that anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

Glad you got a good one!

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Pete, I love you, man... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I've said it before and I'll say it again - these were the best tube amps I have ever owned. Great tone! Very melodic gain. Not an ultra-gain nu-metal amp, but great for 80's & 90's stuff. Good (not great) clean, but who uses that anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet alot of people that complain about them either didnt like there distortion or just had some crappy tubes. New tubes make a world of difference in any amp!

Comment

You've got JJs in that eh? I'll bet EHs would sound damn good too.

Comment

There is a T50C combo on Ebay currently in mint condition. It is #7 so it would be a T50 that Mike Soldano actually built. This would be before Yamaha started making changes to it.

Comment

I had one also....I loved it! (it was one of the good ones)...but I also had mine tweaked by it's creator also.
                        Dennis Kager (my former boss) had a hand in designing these also, along with Michael Soldano.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          There is a T50C combo on Ebay currently in mint condition. It is #7 so it would be a T50 that Mike Soldano actually built. This would be before Yamaha started making changes to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing different the early ones had was the reverb design, here is what Mike Soldano says about these amps.

"Okay Vince, here's the deal on the Yamaha T50 and T100 amps. I did design those amps for Yamaha back in the late '80s. And yes, I did get paid a "healthy sum" for my services (ha,ha,ha!). Design-wise, it's a very good amp - it wouldn't have done me any good to have my name associated with a piece of junk, now would it? Of course Yamaha had certain design features that they wanted to see - but, for the most part, they left how the amp sounded up to me. Therefore, the gain structure, voicing, reverb, etc. are quite similar to what you'll find in my SOLDANO amps. I had nothing to do with the final physical design or production of those amps. Construction and quality-wise, the Yamahas were no SOLDANOs by any means, but they were still fairly well built units. I felt, at the time, they were a good value - they packed a lot of bang for the buck.

I should point out, however, that there are a few things that Yamaha did that I wasn't happy about on those amps. First, mainly as an effort to reduce costs, they eliminated the filter choke in the power supply and replaced it with a large power resistor. While this is quite a common and acceptable practice in low wattage amps or preamplifiers, I feel that in higher powered amps it hinders the amp's ability to deliver good, punchy low end at higher volumes. The reason for this is that the resistor causes the high voltage supply to drop, or "sag", during times of high demand (such as "chugging" on the low E string), whereas the choke doesn't. Fortunately, this problem is easily remedied by removing the resistor and wiring in a choke. Any competent tech can handle this job, or you can send the amp out to my shop and have us do it for you. The second thing I didn't like was the choice of speakers in the combo amps. Those amps were equipped with 100w Celestions, which I thought sounded very "stiff" and sterile. My last complaint with those amps is a change that was made to the reverb circuits after the amp went into production. They really screwed things up on that, and to this day I still don't know what the hell they were trying to do. All I know is that it made the reverb very weak and lifeless. I opposed the revision, but they went ahead and did it anyway. The early amps had my original design, and the late amps can be modified to get them back to that design."

Comment

So I guess that #7 combo would only need the power resistor swapped out for a choke and it would be all set.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              So I guess that #7 combo would only need the power resistor swapped out for a choke and it would be all set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah pretty much what it sounds like. I am thinking of sending mine off to mike just to have him bring it up to par. If it costs me $100 dollars so what, for $540 the amp would still be worth the price.

Comment

Working...
                              X