• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yamaha T-50, damn i am in love

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I had one and it sounded like shit... but I think those amps were very inconsistent. Too many people have said that they sounded great, but a lot of others have had the experience I had.

Glad you got a good one!

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Pete, I love you, man... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I've said it before and I'll say it again - these were the best tube amps I have ever owned. Great tone! Very melodic gain. Not an ultra-gain nu-metal amp, but great for 80's & 90's stuff. Good (not great) clean, but who uses that anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet alot of people that complain about them either didnt like there distortion or just had some crappy tubes. New tubes make a world of difference in any amp!

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent several hundred dollars at the local amp wizard at the time (this is before I started dicking around with amps) - had it rebiased, new tubes, even had the board pulled and checked. They agreed too - said it sounded like dogshit and always would. *!*

Pete

Comment

"...said it sounded like dogshit and always would. *!*"

I've heard that too many times from too many people over the years to even give these things a second glance.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        I had one and it sounded like shit... but I think those amps were very inconsistent. Too many people have said that they sounded great, but a lot of others have had the experience I had.

Glad you got a good one!

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Pete, I love you, man... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I've said it before and I'll say it again - these were the best tube amps I have ever owned. Great tone! Very melodic gain. Not an ultra-gain nu-metal amp, but great for 80's & 90's stuff. Good (not great) clean, but who uses that anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet alot of people that complain about them either didnt like there distortion or just had some crappy tubes. New tubes make a world of difference in any amp!

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent several hundred dollars at the local amp wizard at the time (this is before I started dicking around with amps) - had it rebiased, new tubes, even had the board pulled and checked. They agreed too - said it sounded like dogshit and always would. *!*

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like someone sucked the MOJO out of it!

Comment

I have also heard the very mixed bag on these as well. Some love them and some say they are POS's. Unfortunately with that inconsistency I wouldn't buy one off eBay without having tried it out in person first.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I have also heard the very mixed bag on these as well. Some love them and some say they are POS's. Unfortunately with that inconsistency I wouldn't buy one off eBay without having tried it out in person first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost with any amp company it is like that. Examples for me, i owned a roadking 2x12 that i couldnt stand, and yes i would bypass the built in speakers and go right to the same 4x12 cab i use now, now i own the head and love it to death. My 3 channel mesa dual is one of the best heads i have ever heard, but i have also owned many 2 channel versions and out of all them there was only one i am mad i sold.

LIke guitars amps are a gamble, you can either get a good one or a bad one, exspecially the older hand wired ones, as a electronics person i can tell you that you missplace one wire by a inch can make a huge difference in tone!

Comment

It seems that on a T-50 if you get it for the average used selling price and you don't like it you can always turn it quick for the same amount you paid for it.

Comment

I have been trying to find a good sounding T series amp since they were new. i haven't found one yet. The ones I have tried (many) sound nothing at all like a Soldano.

Comment

I played one on stage with a band and it sounded very sweet.
                  at lower volume it is hard to hear what it is but playing real loud with Mahogany body gitar, wow that was the sweetest tone.
                  [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I have been trying to find a good sounding T series amp since they were new. i haven't found one yet. The ones I have tried (many) sound nothing at all like a Soldano.

[/ QUOTE ]

They sound a little like soldano, but iw ouldnt expect them to sound 100% like that. The one i have is awesome sounding, but i guess it comes down to taste too. I would assume if you have played the real thing this wont come close, but damn close enough for me

Comment

I owned a couple, and they didn't sound anything like my SLO.
                      My brother did pick up a T-100 combo that was cut down into a head, someone modded the innards, and that one sounds pretty good.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        if you have the chance pick them up now while they are still cheap.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a few words on the T50 & T100. After a few years Yamaha cheaped out on some of the components. This did effect the tone and kinda sucks for those that may find a later model. You must have found an early one, which did rawk!

Comment

My friend had the T50 when it came out...good tone from that amp...I had a Korean 60 wt Soldano...which I thought sounded better than my hot rod 50...it sounded comparible to the T50..similiar feel and tone..
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X