Mesa Mark IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Mark IV

Tell me about them. I want one. I need one. I gotta gotta have me one. Great God in heaven you know I want one.
    What should I look for. I am interested in the head.
    I love to tweak and have owned many Boogies but never a Mark IV. Are there specific versions, years, chassis sizes, options I should be looking for?

Re: Mesa Mark IV

Good choice JG, what are you looking for, a combo or head?
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Head

Comment

AFAIK they are all the same. based on improvements and too many user options on the last run of the mark III.

just go read the manuel http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%204.pdf

i know you'll love this amp. i recommend the switches in the back all set in the up position (triod, simul class, and harmonics)and my old faithful, bass mid and gain dimed while treb and pres cut off. - and of course loud as hell. definately a candidate for a hotplate.

once you tweak it out to where you want it, your mark iv and 2210 will be the only amps you'll want to keep.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I hear you on that Reb. I have had several chances to buy a Mark IV and I always opted for something else. Not this time. I have funds and I am ready to buy. I just have to research what I should be paying and I want to make sure I get the footswitch and anything else that is supposed to come with it.

Comment

John I have had three of them and actually my favorite was the EV loaded combo... the otehr 2 were heads...

There really is nothing not to love about these amps the only thing that it lacks is a little on the highest of gain like the recto, uber or the powerball but what a great amp IMO and still gets heavy enough (lamb of god uses them)

If you still have your PRS i think the PRS sound best with a Mark IV IMO. You are going to be happy. I picked up both of my heads in mnt conditioon used for about 800 a piece
            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Tets where did you get them for 800$ ?
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Both off of Harmony Central... Mark IV's are available so you can usually find a good deal on them if patient

Comment

Looks like I am going to be both REALLY patient and REALLY lucky to score a Mark IV in the $800's!!
                  They are selling on Ebay anywhere from $1100-$1400
                  They usually sit around 600-800 until the last hour. Than the bidding goes NUTZ!!!!
                  I may need to rethink my GAS attack for a Mark IV. I really don't want to spend $1100.00+ for one. The only way I could swing it is if I sell my Carvin MTS3200.
                  I think I am gonna look at the combo's too. I spoke to a guy at Mesa today and he said I should seriously look at the F series. The Nomads are affordable too. There I go again..... talking myself out of a Mark IV. I better hurry up and buy one before I get cold feet!!

Comment

John in all honesty I had a tough time selling my combo which was kinda special with the EV and creme tolex.... I sold it for 1050 and at that it took me about 3 months... you can find one pretty cheap I think

Comment

Mark IV is definitely a tweakers amp. Lots of features to mess with and it takes a little while to finally get it configured up to the point of getting that killer tone. But once you find that tone you'll be in tonal heaven. They've also been growing in popularity recently, so you just have to look and wait and sooner or later you will find someone wanting to get rid of theirs for something else and willing to let go of it cheap.

Every once in a while someone will throw one on the 'bay with a BIN of $750 or $800

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Mark IV is definitely a tweakers amp. Lots of features to mess with and it takes a little while to finally get it configured up to the point of getting that killer tone. But once you find that tone you'll be in tonal heaven. They've also been growing in popularity recently, so you just have to look and wait and sooner or later you will find someone wanting to get rid of theirs for something else and willing to let go of it cheap.

Every once in a while someone will throw one on the 'bay with a BIN of $750 or $800

[/ QUOTE ]

I need somebody to throw one up at that price NOW while I still have the money!! You know how GAS is. Especially when you have money.

Comment

i sold mine with a BIN of $1385 on e-bay. it sold in 15 minutes. that was a short head with the FU-2 footswitch. i haven't seen them at low prices very often, i guess it can happen, but....
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Mark IV is definitely a tweakers amp.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Especially while speaking of the clean channel, all the Mesa's I've ever played were tweak whores.

Comment

The thing I wonder about with these amps are the reissues. How are the reissues compared to the originals? I hope it's not another JCM800 story, that would be sad.

I love my MK III purple stripe. I'll probably never get rid of it. If I do I'll let you know John, but I just can't get rid of such a cool amp. They've got this vintage vibe that is so neat about them. Good luck, John!!

Comment

Working...
                              X