Marshall Amps.... YOU CHOOSE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Amps.... YOU CHOOSE!!

Ok, say you are Gass'n for a Marshall. You don't need one. You just want one. You play hard rock and metal at home and you have a ton of pedals laying around. You also do 80's-90's metal covers with a band but you have another more versatile rig for that situation. Here are your 2 choices. Which one would you choose and why?
    1987x 4 vertical input Plexi Reissue with the David Bray mod including master volume.
    2203 JCM800 with the Hex mod by Trace at Voodoo Labs.

Re: Marshall Amps.... YOU CHOOSE!!

get them both (LOL) but serious i have never heard either mod so i cant help you there. I have the 1987 that i am still thinking of getting splawn modded if i dont sell it.

Comment

John, I have a ton of pedals around as well, and to be honest, nothing sounds as good as when they are run through a truly clean amp, like my bandmaster, etc...The Tonebone british through that thing is something to hear.

Shawn

Shawn
      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

well if you have a ton of pedals around you don't need a mod [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

is the 2203 a re-issue too? I'm partial to the original vertical input 2203's with a SD-1 in front. But I have heard some killer 1987x mods by Splawn that were awesome so I'd have to take em both [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey Shawn, do you do the patch cable channel jumping thing on your Plexi?

Comment

Which Shawn......
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Which Shawn......

[/ QUOTE ]

you..

Comment

I don't have a plexi Shawn so I pretty sure he's talkin to you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Damn glad it's friday......
                  Yes, I jumper the lower input on channel 1 and the upper on channel 2. The other thing about the 1987x, the controls are not the run of the mill. There are a million sounds in there, but they are all over the place.

Shawn
                  Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I'd take a stock metal panel 1959 over any other choices, but that wasn't the question...

I really loved the Voodoo Hex I played once, so I would take that one. But I don't generally use pedals, so...

Comment

just give me a stock 2210 (later model w/ higher gain) and and a hot plate and delay pedal. i'll be good for life.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

JG,
                        get a mid to late 70's JMP superlead 100 and get it modded by my friend mark cameron. no need for pedals ever again, except for a wah wah.
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I like pedals. They add color to the stage floor and they give me a reason to buy 9v batteries and small patch cords. I also like to occasionally tap dance on them and the occasional trip is pretty fun too. You can also throw the cheap ones at a hostile audience. I have had alot of hostile audiences throughout the years! I really don't know why they always got so pissed. Maybe it could have been the fact that everytime we opened up for Twisted Sister we would play the first 2 songs that Twisted would open with and when the crowd stopped yelling Twisted..Twisted..Twisted.. and started yelling you suck.. you suck.. you suck.. I would repond with go FU%# yourselves. My old Aria Pro Urchin was a really good bottle shield back then.

Comment

lol John...I doubt you guys could really be that bad...well again it was a TS crowd. I personally never liked anything by that band but they had a great northeastern following that’s for sure
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

LOL, that's a great story!

I used to be a straight into the amp guy only but in the last year I've bought a bunch of pedals and it's fun to mess around with them. But back to topic, I have yet to play through a Marshall that I like. Although, I've never played a JCM cranked, so maybe that's why?
                              Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                              X