Effects & EQ settings for outdoor performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects & EQ settings for outdoor performance

I'm going to be playing outdoors at a party, the first time I've ever played outside a small room or club. Are there any tricks for getting a good sound in an outdoor environment? I'll also be in charge of setting up the PA, so this isn't only a guitar tone question.

I'm thinking due to lack of any walls for reflecting the sound, we'll need to beef up the ambience effects like reverb on the vox. Not sure what to do about EQ. Unfortunately we don't have much opportunity for extensive soundcheck, and no experienced sound person will be on hand. It also doesn't help that we're, well, less than prepared, so anything I can do to reduce our suckiness even a tiny bit will be appreciated! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Effects & EQ settings for outdoor performance

Good question. We played a small club on last Monday and then on Friday played outside at a park. Difference in sound was night and day. Your comment about walls reflecting sound is right on the money. I am not sure what you should do to compensate for being outside but in a word
    my sound sucked. I play into a F-50 with a DD-3, CS-2, MXR
    Flanger in the loop. I could not hear the delay and the flanger sounded kind of thin compared to playing in doors.
    I was loud (loudest thing on the stage according to friends)
    but I could not hear myself very well on the stage. A lot of the on stage sound was eaten up by bass. We have played
    outdoors before but this is the first time I really noticed
    how different my sound was. I don't think I really answered
    your question, dude but good luck at the show.

Comment

One word: power. You're going to need LOTS of it, or no one is going to hear you. If you don't mic the drumkit (usually, only the kick drum gets miced for the bar gigs), no one is going to hear the drummer at all. I hope you've got guitar and bass amps with plenty of headroom, because you're going to need it. If you've got more than one guitar amp, now would be the perfect time to run a slave setup.

Everything that sounds big in the bar gig is going to reverse at the outdoor gig. With nothing to hold the sound in, drums are going to sound thin and lifeless. Bass response is going to completely disappear. Only people standing in front of the guitar amps will hear them. Every local outdoor gig I have ever been to has been all vocals, thin guitar, no bass or drums.

How big is the projected crowd? That will give you and idea of how much power the PA will need.

Comment

The crowd won't be big, maybe around 50 people. I have 2 channels, each 75 watts and driving a big upright 2x12 cab. I'm pretty sure I'll be loud enough, but not entirely sure about the PA specs. And yeah, I was only planning on micing the kick drum. Guess I'll have to reconsider that!

Comment

Well the gig went OK - the sound wasn't as bad as I had feared. We were on a porch so it kept the sound contained enough for us to hear, plus the PA had reasonable monitors. I was standing in with a classic rock act; a bit boring, but still a good time. At least they tolerated me shredding on a few of the songs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

Comment

Awesome man! You look like Lynch in that pic!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

sportin' the jackson shirt as well as the guitar; nice! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, the shirt arrived just in time [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Unfortunately, though I ordered XL, turns out they mistakenly shipped me a L... Damn that Fender online store!!

Comment

Working...
                X