Marshall Review!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Review!!

Please talk me down from the ledge because I am gonna jump!
    I just demo'd a Marshal JCM2000 TSL 60 Head through a Marshall 4 x 12 cabinet for over 1 hour. This is a 3 channel head. I had a delay and a boost in the loop.
    The footpedal had 5 buttons.
    Channel 1 clean to blues
    Channel 2 rock to hard rock
    Channel 3 hard rock to metal
    Effects Loop
    Reverb

I have heard so many bad reviews here regarding the entire JCM2000 line. There are other places on the web where they gush over these amps. Anyway, what did I think?
    This amp rocks. Every channel is useable. I was able to dial in 3 great sounds in minutes. It didn't sound thin, cheap, mushy, or muffled. In contrast, it sounded punchy, clear, it had tons of gain, the clean channel was excellent, it had tons of bottom and it sounds exactly like a Marshall. It was pretty expensive new and IMHO well worth the price. Especially a used one. A buddy of mine who works in a boutique music store told me that they are also very dependable just like most Marshalls are.
    So, what the heck just happened?? If I didn't think I could get a used one so cheap I actually would have considered buying this amp on the spot.

Re: Marshall Review!!

i dont know why people bash the TSL, i like it myself.

Its a great amp for the money (used at least....)

Comment

Footswitches are $hitttyyyy!I had a TSL122 combo. I went through 3 of them in less than a year. At least Korg responded to my Email complaining about the 2nd one going out and they FEDEXed me a free one. I liked the amp tone though. The clean was just O.K.. But the other 2 channels were very good.
      RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
      CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
      Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
      Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

I know that they have had a lot of problems with the footswitches, and the internal construction leaves a lot to be desired. Personally, I'd steer clear. Of the four I've been around, 3 had problems. That's not a real good track record any way you slice it.

Pete

Comment

I am gonna steer clear. I was just surprised on how decently good the amp sounded.

Comment

The one I played through that worked did sound pretty good. I compared it to my VHT50CL I had at the time... I thought the VHT ripped it a new one, but it wasn't bad.

Pete

Comment

They are great sounding amps for rock/hard rock, however they have some issues. First the footswitch usually goes bad, then alot of them come with cold solder joints and when they heat up it becomes a problem. Heat is another issue with this and most marshalls, if you dont take off that back plate then they heat up fast. I usually have a fan blowing on the back of all my amps at all times just to keep them cooled. The last issue is they ship these amps with shitty tubes and usually the bias is off.

Comment

Hmmm, Marshall footswitches must be doomed! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've got an old Valvestate 8240 stereo chorus combo... the two-button footswitch (channel/chorus) crapped out awhile back. I called Marshall/Korg at their NY facility, the woman I spoke with was great, sent me a replacement pretty quickly. Though, the replacement I got was for channel/reverb, they were very prompt and sent the right one, it's been fine ever since.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

can anyone compare the DSL and TSL ?

Comment

The footswitch on my now retired TSL100 has not missed a beat during the many gigs it was used at since I got it in 1999.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      can anyone compare the DSL and TSL ?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO the DSL is a better sounding amp, but not to much of a difference in tone, however because it shares tone controls it is not as verstile. If i had my choice i would choose a DSL over the TSL in a minute, i usually use my marshall for one tone anyway.

But i tell you now, if you are gonna buy a marshall go for the 6100's, either the EL34 or the 5881 version, both amps smoke the JCM2000's in a hearbeat!

Comment

I heard the guy from Blind Guardian uses a TSL 60 and he gets some killer tones with his ... I know he's a professional but still ...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I heard the guy from Blind Guardian uses a TSL 60 and he gets some killer tones with his ... I know he's a professional but still ...

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys might not like them, but Story of the year uses TSL0's too and i think they have a killer tone.

Comment

I can't conjure any decent "tone" outta a DSL...nope , nada , zippo , zilch.. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

DSL's are icky , yucky , pooey... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I no like 'um... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

For the record, Marshall is now using a different company to build footswitches than the one that built all the ones that broke for the TSLs.

Comment

Working...
                              X