Took home an old Laney Pro Tube AOR 100w today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took home an old Laney Pro Tube AOR 100w today

Well, I found an old Laney Pro Tube Lead 100 AOR head at the local Guitar Center. Its pretty cool.

Its 100watts, all tube, (4)El34's and (4)12AX7's

Which tube is the V1 tube? Its the one closest to the power tubes, right?

There is also a feature for a footswitchable tube gain stage. Which tube determines this?

This thing is equipped with Sovtek EL34's, and Groove Tube 12AX7's. The first pre tube was a (silver series)GT12AX7-C, regular GT12AX7-R, and then the 2 outermost preamp tubes were silver series GT12AX7-C's, which I understand are the cheapo groove tubes.

Ive got some Electro Harmonix 12AX7's that Im gonna put in it, to hopefully smoothen up the tone.

I just need to know which tube is the V1, and which tube is the footswitchable gain tube.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Took home an old Laney Pro Tube AOR 100w today

No, V1 is furthest from the output tubes. V4, or the driver tube slot, is right next to the outputs. Laney hides the tech info on its Web site, but if you google "Laney AOR100" AND "manual," you can often find the info. If not, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a PDF of the manual.

V2 controls the AOR channel. Let me know how you like the EH's. I have a bunch of vintage tubes in mine, and I wouldn't mind saving them for the studio/big gigs and just using some decent new production stuff for practice and routine gigs.

Also, when you replace the outputs, try some Winged Cs. I like them in my AOR much better than Sovteks or Electro-Harmonix. The best sound I ever get from my AOR is with a quad of Winged C EL34s and a Telefunken in V2. By the way, the AOR really likes a matched triode in V4.

Comment

Well, I found the discontinued manual page on the Laney site, and I tried all 8 of the AOR series manuals and none were for the model I have, or they were incomplete. Mine is the one with the knobs labeled "Master Volume" "Preamp 1 Level" "Preamp 2 Volume" and "Preamp 1 Volume (push pull AOR channel select)" The manuals I downloaded labeled the knobs as other things, and they weren't the correct manual for the version I have. (there must be several varieties or generations of these amps)

If you have the correct manual, or the complete manual, I would be very thankful. I searched Google up and down but no luck. Email : [email protected] Ill PM you anyways.

I really like the EH's, they are much smoother,bolder, and less fizzy then the silver series GT's. Ive got EH's in the V1,V2,and V3, and then the Groove Tube GT12AX7R in the V4. I traded in my Peavey Classic 30 for this amp, and I remember liking the stock EH 12AX7 tubes better than the GT 12AX7's I bought for the Classic 30 (I yanked out my EH's and put in the GT's before I traded it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) I dont know much about all the vintage tubes, but the EH's seem to have more character and a crisp (not fuzzy)high end than the GT's. Ive got some old Sovteks I'll pop in tomorrow and see how they compare to the EH. Im not expecting much though.

Im having trouble with a bit of noise coming from the AOR channel. Im thinking about using a 12AT7 or 12AU7 or something of that nature, good Idea?

Thanks for the helpful info atilla.

Comment

Sent an e-mail. Looks like the redesign of the Laney Web site closed the loophole through Google that I'd used before.

Comment

Working...
        X