Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall in da house

hi

yup, it's here. my new baby. a '85 jcm 800 2210 split channel head.
    first of all....it's Loud. it's so loud i had to spell loud with a capital L [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] it takes more time to get that loud, though...my mesa is already at HIGH volume with the master set at 2, whereas the marshall needs to be turned up to 4-5 to get to that volume...i didn't turn it any louder, at least here at home. but anyways, if you do, the sound is great. might be a little...well..annoying if you're playing alone, but i bet my right ball that it shreds in a band context.
    it's got that marshall roar and rumble that only a marshall can produce. the clean isn't actually that bad, and somehow i don't notice the bleedthrough effect everybody is always bitching about?!
    the distortion is rather bright, watch the treble and presence, really. gain wise it's not really enough for shredding rhythms if you're at low volume, but at around 4 it starts to open up and translates into metal mayhem. 80s thrash only, though. don't expect death metal out of this thing.

but well....i bet this describes it best: i was playing at HIGH volume....my neighbours almost called the cops because of it, and my dad came in and told me to turn the f*ck down or he'd kick my ass...and i was just standing there with a stupid stupid smile on my face...thinking about what it will do to my other guitar players TSL....and to my band in general....sweet sweet dreams [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Marshall in da house

That last paragraph pretty much sums it up. Congratz on scoring a killer Marshall.
    Mine did the same thing. It REALLY woke up around 4. After that it was just sick loud. BTW.. it will cut through any band mix with a knife. Be prepared to hear it from your bandmates. Especially the other guitarist. He will wonder what happenned to his amp as soon as you start ripping on yours.

Comment

oh yes, it's definitely nice. I'll have a band practice tonight, so i can really crank it up which i'm really looking forward to [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      anyways, jg, you liked yours very much. do you have some general hints or settings i should try tonight?

but man, i'm really surprised by this amp. marshalls are always said to have weak reverb and an eq section that does next to nothing. well, i found the EQ to be very touchy and responsive, those knobs really change something, and the reverb is STRONG. it's twice as deep as my mesa reverb i'm used to...and sounds better, too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        oh yes, it's definitely nice. I'll have a band practice tonight, so i can really crank it up which i'm really looking forward to [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        anyways, jg, you liked yours very much. do you have some general hints or settings i should try tonight?

but man, i'm really surprised by this amp. marshalls are always said to have weak reverb and an eq section that does next to nothing. well, i found the EQ to be very touchy and responsive, those knobs really change something, and the reverb is STRONG. it's twice as deep as my mesa reverb i'm used to...and sounds better, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the reverb on my 2210 was excellent too. Very deep and lush. I didn't get any bleed between channels either. I couldn't find a bad setting with my 2210. I did find that you will need to set it up at the level you will be rehearsing at. As you turn it up past 4 it turns into a completely different animal. A levels of 1-2 it almost sounds solid state (but still excellent). Once you start getting on it LOOK OUT. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

those are some loud sonsabitches!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Congrats!
            I'd love to try one of these Marshall to see if I can get Schenker sound.
            [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Just plug into this amp, get a wah and step half down and leave it. BAM!!!! Schenker sound.

Comment

DOH!
                That easy.... I must ... have one... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

try the gain, bass, and mid dimed and the treb and pres off. and turn it up loud to get your high end back.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

well, here are my results from last nights band practice:

-it definitely NEEDS to be loud. as i already said above, 4 is a good starting point for getting good tone. and 100w on 4 is LOUD. especially when played through 2 412 cabs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    -it has basically one sound, and although the tone knobs DO change it, the basic timbre remains. and it's classic marshall, thats for sure
                    -it has just about enough gain for an old school thrash rhythm sound. definitely NO high gain amp. i had my gain set at 9 (with passive pickups, though. EMGs will give it some more gain range)...when set at 10, the gain suddenly becames quite harsh and you start to notice the diodes clipping. at 9 you don't notice any harshness...strange.
                    -my settings from last night:
                    presence off, master 4, reverb 6, bass 8, mid 7, treble 6, channel volume 7, gain 9, clean channel controls both cranked and the volume turned way down (for tuning purposes)

unfortunately, my lead guitar player wasn't there, so i can't say how it stands up against his TSL. i'm quite confident that it will CRUSH it, though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] my drummer loved it. he said "you can hear every single pick attack"...yeah...what he said. me likey. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

one last thing, though. i remember jgcable telling me that the 2210 doesn't have a lot of bottom end "chunk", especially at lower volumes. well, maybe we have different tastes when it comes to bottom end, but IMHO the amp has plenty of bottom end at ANY volume. it ain't no rectifier, but this is tight marshall style bottom end, and it's plenty for what i do. i don't like a whole lot of bottom end anyways...but then again, my bass player has an ampeg svt 4 pro [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

greets
                    fragle

Comment

Ahhh!! the Schenker sound, sweet music to my ears.
                      Congrats on a killer amp.
                      Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

with the gain at 10 you can turn off the treb and make up the high end with the mid knob. dime it! the mid knob has that high end you need for clarity. the treb is what is making it "harsh" sounding. the diode will clip harder and smoother with treb off and mid gain and bass dimed! the low end is now just smoothing out the gain.

seriously, try these at loud volumes and you'll love'em! your lead guitarist will want to try setting his amp this way after he hears you tearing it up. NO HIGH END WHITE WASH! total clarity with raw marshall crunch!
                        Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

Keep dialing. It took me a few weeks to dial mine in. Try Rebs settings. Regarding my bottom end statement. I was comparing it to a Rectifier. Most players have the bass setting on their Boogies set around 4 or less. Turn it up to 7 and it feels like the speaker cabinets are going to rattle apart. I loved crushing all rectifiers with my 2210. In a band setting with another guitarist playing you will really appreciate your 2210. You really can hear every note.

Comment

i recently saw Europe and all John Norum was using was EMG'd les pauls with 2 2210 full stacks. and they sounded PERFECT!!!
                            Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

It makes sense that these are easy to get a Michael Schenker tone with, since he's been using them for almost the past 20 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X