85 in LP = __ in strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 in LP = __ in strat

Finally found out that my LP has dual 85s. I want the bridge pup of my strat to backup the LP while mid and neck continue their strat duty, I was thinking SVs for this, based on their website. But what should I slap in the bridge? Something darker than the 85 I'm guessing, but I dunno jack when it comes to pickups. I'd just as soon replace just the bridge sc in the strat, though, with a passive pup, if anyone knows what would be a match for the sound I want. Thanks.

Re: 85 in LP = __ in strat

well, that could be quite difficult. as far as i know the 85 is emgs darkest pickup, so emg is basically no option if you want to go darker than the 85. you could try the 85 in your strat, just to see how you like it, but you'd either have to add some extra wiring for the other passive pu's or change them for some active singlecoils.
    you could go passive, as there are plenty of darker sounding pickups than the 85 (dimarzio tonezone and seymour duncan invader to name two), but the thing is that none of them really is comparable to a 85.

if i were you i'd go for a 85 in the strat....maybe you can take one of the 85s out of the lp and build it into the strat (disconnecting the singlecoils) just to find out how you like it. i know that this involves some work, but it should be the cheapest way to find out whether this is for you or not.

Comment

Working...
    X