Looking to mod...Peavey 5150H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to mod...Peavey 5150H

Hey guys. All of the sudden, I'm getting kinda tired of my 5150's tone. I mean, I like the amp, it has tons of gain, but I think know it could sound better. The thing is, I'm always selling or trading my gear, and I'm afraid that I grow tired of the modded head and sell it. What do you guys think? What are good places to get my head moddified? I'll have to ship from Puerto Rico though. Thanks for the help.

Re: Looking to mod...Peavey 5150H

That is the exact reason I have 4 or 5 amps. Some of the mods cost more than just buying a new amp unless there is a very specific tone you are after.

Comment

here is the guy you want

FJA Mods Email me at [email protected]
      Jerry

good luck

Comment

Voodoo Amps. Enough said.

Comment

Thanks guys. What other places are there to mod?

Comment

FJA Mods [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            Jerry
            FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

FJA!

I heard a couple of his modded 5150 heads at an ampfest last year...killer! And I'm NOT a fan of 5150's!
              These things hung every step of the way with the Voodoo Hex and Witchdoctor heads I played.

Comment

Don't mod shit man...enhance it with a BBE 422 in the loop...whatever you may find "lacking" in tone could be remedied by that..

Mod it for what gain...it doesn't need any more gain...

so I would give that a whack first..

5150s and BBE 422s are a match made in heaven...or hell..which ever you prefer!

I know this because I probably owned more 5150s than most people own shoes.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Don't mod shit man...enhance it with a BBE 422 in the loop...whatever you may find "lacking" in tone could be remedied by that..

Mod it for what gain...it doesn't need any more gain...

so I would give that a whack first..

5150s and BBE 422s are a match made in heaven...or hell..which ever you prefer!

I know this because I probably owned more 5150s than most people own shoes.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not agreeing with horns on mick mars, but however i agree here. All modding usually does is either add gain or change the voicing of the amp. Since the 5150 has way more then enough gain (or putting a pedal in front will give you more then you ever need). To change the voicing of any amp you can either use a BBE or even throw a EQ pedal in the loop and then you can changed the voicing all the time and to your needs. The only mod i ever recomend for high gain amps is bias mod if you amp does not have the ability to bias it.

Comment

I have tried a bunch of EQs in many a 5150 loops..and they do work pretty well..

but there is NOTHING that can kick a 5150 in the fat ass more than a BBE 422 or 422a in da loop...

Check E Bay...you'll score one for well under $100...your problem will be solved and you can thank me later!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yer both wrong. Look at the site.

http://www.fjamods.com/

There are a lot of things that can be done to these amps, and none of them involve adding gain. Why would ya do that?

Comment

So, what are some of the differences between the 5150 (6505) and the 5150 II (6505+)?

Comment

An ugly logo.

Comment

I think Peavey added a 12AX7 to the circuit on the +. Increased flexibility by making the crunch channel footswitchable. Improved the clean sound & also added a separate eq section with separate presence, resonance, low, high, and mid controls for each channel and a bias access from the back. Also made it single input as opposed to dual. Voicing seems to have changed a little as well. I recall when the II's first came out, people liked the flexibility but thought the tone of the mk1 were overall better..which seemed to effect resale quite a bit too.

Most these features are on the XXX as well..which to me is kinda the offspring of the Ultra mated to both 5150's.

Comment

I'd personally just buy another amp. After shipping it out to be modded, then getting it shipped back and paying for the mods - that's probably $400-ish right there.

Comment

Working...
                              X