Help/Suggestions with Dimarzio's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help/Suggestions with Dimarzio's

Looking for opinions on Dimarzio p/u's. I'm working on a H/S/S project right now and need one more single-coiled size Dimarzio to complete the Trifecta of p/u's. So far, I have a Tone Zone for the bridge and a Crusier neck pick-up for the middle or neck position. I can't decide if I want to put a hotter p/u in the neck and use the Cruiser in the middle, or put the Cruiser in the neck and use something like the Vintage Virtual 2.2 or something in the middle. I don't have alot of experience with Dimarzio single-coil size p/u's so I'm looking for suggestions.
    Good deals with:
    Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Re: Help/Suggestions with Dimarzio\'s

Well, depends what sound you're going for. If you like to get better Strat quack sounds in the notch positions (2 & 4), I'd go for the Cruiser in the middle and then something hotter in the neck like a Fast Track 1 or Chopper. You could always try two Cruisers... they make a neck model and bridge model which would work well in either position with the Tone Zone in the bridge.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a '95 Trans Green Maple over Mahogany Charvel San Dimas III with a Tone Zone in the bridge ...a chopper in the middle ...and a fast track in the neck..

that was how they stocked the San Dimas III H/S/S from the factory...it really is a pretty good blend of tones to be honest..the Tone zone sounds punchy and has a lot of cut..I don't use the middle pup (chopper) much...but fast track has alot of bite for a neck pickup..which to me sounds very cool..

My San Dimas I Koa has a custom DiMarzio based on a distortion I believe (John ordered the pup he'd know) ..that is my favorite bridge pup so far...

I have a USA Strat with a PAF pro...that's alright I spose..and custom Dimarzios in my Wolfgang artchtop..they sound pretty damn good too!

I like DiMarzios..I prefer them over SDs..EMG's are cool for some things..you can get a cool "focused" crunch with them..but DiMarzios sound more "alive" to my ears..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Dimarzio HS3 is a good choice.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I have a '95 Trans Green Maple over Mahogany Charvel San Dimas III with a Tone Zone in the bridge ...a chopper in the middle ...and a fast track in the neck..

that was how they stocked the San Dimas III H/S/S from the factory...

[/ QUOTE ]
          Bill, actually, the Chopper is in the neck and the Fast Track 1 is in the middle on those. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Dimarzio HS3 is a good choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

HS3 is a bridge stacked hum. You want an HS1, if you want a true neck pickup.

I have a ToneZone in the Predator and I think it rips. Great pickup that I got by accident, moron at GuitarJokers put a ToneZone in the bag instead of a Super Distortion, which I didn't notice until I was home.......said fuck it and put it in. Great pickup.

I used HS-3s for years in Strats, good bridge pickup.

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking I should go with something a little hotter in the neck like the Fast Track 1. I'm afraid if I go with something with to low of an output, it will be too drastic of a drop in positions 3-5.
              Good deals with:
              Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

the Tonezone / Fastrack1 / choppper combination in my SDIII sounds also really good to me. like horns666 said.

if you put a tonezone in the bridge i would go for the chopper in the neck.
                if you put a pafpro in the bridge, go for a fasttrack1 in the neck.
                the FT1 hasn´t as much output as the chopper and works better with the PAFpro in bridgeposition.

and if you want a singlecoil sound, you can do a coilsplit with all these PUPs.

Comment

Fast track 1 is not that hot you might be disappointed- I was. I don't think they sound any better than stock jackson singles. I

Comment

Working...
                  X