• Fab Amp Mtealhead review

FabAmp
    Custom Metalhead Studio
    Point-to-Point Hand wired
    Single 6V6 powered
    3 12AX7A’s
    Power Rating: 5-Watts Class A
    Price as tested: $450 USD

This amp head is a prototype built by Rob Franklin in Vancouver, Canada. It was designed for me, with lots of input from the maker. I wanted a 'final' amp. I wanted something all tube that would do Van Halen to deMartini type metal at home at reasonable volumes and also be useable in a low volume, yet sustainable jamming situation. I also wanted a Plexi like clean tone for blues and pop.

I ordered a head that is a mere 17 inches wide. Rob was able to accommodate me to make the amp fit on a 1x 12" cabinet. We had about 60 e-mails going in either direction until the amp was finished. Some of my suggestions were changed and other features were offered at no charge.

Rob went the extra distance on every aspect of this amp. I wanted a custom sized cab and chassis. He had it made. I wanted custom snakeskin tolex. I ordered it and he found a pro to apply it. The tolexing is perfect.

Rob had custom plates done for the front and back done on a CAD machine, to have the amps name and features engraved in gold on a black background in the front and back, for a finished pro look.

It looks as good or better than most of the smaller makers that you read about. This is the first cosmetically professional looking amp that he has made. It looks nothing like the amps on his site. If looks are as important to you on your gear, order with confidence. With tolex and labor, this will add $100 to your price, but it is well worth it. (So really, this amp was only a paltry $350! The window dressing added the extra $100). Now where else are you going to get a handmade tube amp built to your specs at this price?

The amp features a high and low level input. The low input is a line level input for a CD player or a rhythm box to jam along with. Therefore, it is a single input amp for guitar.

The amp has been tested using Analysis + Hollow Oval Cable, a Mesa Boogie 4 x 12" cabinet, a Krank 2 X 12" cabinet and a 1x 12" custom front ported cab with a Celestion Century, limited edition speaker. It sounded best with the 1 x 12" cabinet.

Test guitars were a Nash E-type with a traditional output OC Duff pick-up and an Epiphone Les Paul with a vintage Gibson 'Dirty Fingers' in the bridge. The guitar cable was a Klotz La Grange.

The controls are as follows: Gain, Mids, Bass, Sweep, treble, Master, Top.

Gain: It has a very fine British voice. Even tough it is only 5 watts; it has enough volume to anger your neighbors. With low gain and the volume at around 9 o’clock is reminiscent of the tone of the 18-Watt clones that are so popular today at a tame volume.

Some clones use less expensive parts and in turn have some compromises over their $2000+ big brother, other than you doing the labor. This is a 5-watt amp and really gets you there in a mini version with a ton of extras. Internal parts are of quality and the transformer is a Hammond.

The Gain on full is a polite sounding 80’s version of a very famous amp from the UK that graced most stages that featured metal/ hard rock bands. The tone with the gain on full is more polite to allow for more clean headroom, air and a hint of bloom. Just as the originals, this amp needs to be pushed with a distortion pedal to get ‘the sound.’

It was originally voiced as a hot-rod, but the amp didn’t allow for cleans and the voicing was a little too 70’s for my taste. The current voicing is open rich and smile inducing to the unsuspecting. The manufacturer offered a host of easy resistor and cap value mods, complete with schematics to get me the tone that I described, after I was not so taken with the first voicing. He sent the mods, with instructions in 2 hours via e-mail form my initial concerns. Now that’s what I call service! Anyone that can handle a soldering pencil can handle these ultra simple changes, if the amps voice doesn’t exactly suit you.

Keep in mind, that mine is the prototype. He sent me the changes from his own head, without any testing. He voiced it by memory of his circuit design and what could be modded. There was over 100 hours spent building this prototype. The attention to detail comes through.

So, if you think ordering a custom made amp without hearing it is a risky proposition, the only thing you are risking is not getting bargain basement priced great tone by getting something else.

Front Control Panel:

Gain: The gain is very useable and allows for many shades of tone. It does very nice and warm cleans for bedroom jazz and clean pop. It does the blues very well in an assortment of flavors. With the Gain cranked and the volume just past 3, the amp opens up and sounds like a mini JCM 800ish amp.

Mids: Lots of variability here. It has lots of character changes at the slightest turn-a good thing.

Bass: Typical bass control. It gets a little muddy and colored after 2 o'clock if you are a classic rock player. It gets deeper and thicker if your tastes are more to metal. Your ears will have to decide.

Sweep: This is a great function. It lets you choose the overall voicing of the amp. All the way to the right is more compressed and vintage. All the way to the left is more open and bright. There are so many flavors in between, Baskin-Robins has nothing on this tiny bad boy. I think of it as a low mid eq hump. It is my favorite feature on this amp. It is open and bright top the left and darker and more compressed to the right, for a more classic sound.

Treble: A very versatile pot. that never gets brash or too biting. It is well voiced.

Master: The attenuation is well stepped, although the amp finally comes alive at 3 o'clock. Then the amp has a real nice hard rock tone to it.

Top: To me, it sounds like a top cut control that doesn’t do too much. The designer, Rob, designed it as a Negative Feedback Loop attenuator. One person who tried my amp really liked the feature. Others have yet to get good use out of it. Time will tell.

Rear Panel: (left to right)

Headphones: This amp has a headphone jack that works in dual mono. It is an Output Transformerless Power amp, using a 12AU7A built into the amp. I am surprised that there is tube independently powered amp within an amp for headphones for a hi-fi sound. This is an unbelievable feature, yet alone in a $450 amp! It sounds very nice for playing late at night. It has it's own voice, as it is based of a different power tube for it's output-nice touch!

4 and 8-ohm taps: I found the amp had more grunt at 4 Ohm through the Boogie cabinet, although all other cabinets tested were 8 ohm only.

Pentode / Triode Switch: You can go from 1/2 power to full power on the fly. This is a great feature for at night, or for apartment dwellers. At 1/2 power, it is thicker and more saturated. It adds more tones to play with. This amp is not a one trick pony.

Slave: You can add a power amp to this shoebox-sized amp and play larger venues. This is a great feature if you wish to add a single rack spaced power amp or more. It is also has a tube buffered power stage for the slave. So you won’t have to totally sacrifice your tube power tone, if you are driving the head through a 400-watt solid-state power amp at a large venue. It is a very cool feature for those who want to keep a good fat tube sound in a tiny package. If you have found ‘your tone’ in this little Pandora’s box of sound at home, or in the studio, there is no need to give up your sound when you play live.

Conclusion
    If you kind of like plexi’s and kind of like JCM 800’s and would like a mini version at home that melds the tone of both in a real world package, this is your amp. It does not do ‘D tuned’ NU metal. It is voiced for those who grew up on Roth era Van Halen, Motley Crue and Ratt. You will need to add a distortion pedal to push this amp, but it is designed to take it. The output transformer is 8-watts, so don’t worry about giving it too much juice. The components are quality and you shouldn’t have any problems.

I have had this amp for a month. I wanted a ‘final’ amp that would do this type of music, all tube and hand wired, at a low wattage. I am most impressed with the substantial palette of tones presented in this little amp. It sustains beautifully at real world volumes.

Yes, there are better amps out there, for 5 times the cash. There is nothing that can touch this pure tone tube amp for under $500 on the planet. I spent tons of hours looking at small makers until I found Rob. I am confident after 20 years as a guitar player, that this is the right choice for anybody that still remembers that wonderful 80’s tone, yet is a little older and wiser with a different set of priorities for their finances.

Contact information:

Fab Enterprises
    3224 East 20th Avenue
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    1-604-619-8771
    [email protected]

Re: Fab Amp Mtealhead review

I believe I've heard of him through the H/C forum before. Can't remember if it was good or bad though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Sounds like you're happy and that's great. It's always killer when you find a tone that you can live with and keeps you inspired/motivated to play.

Cheers. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Sounds cool. how long was it from order till recieved?

Comment

From my original order, it took 3 months. That incuded over 100 hours in R&D. Newer versions will be done much, much faster. Originally, I wanted a single 6L6, but the head was too big. It looked like a Fargen Bastige. So he redid the cab to look like a mini version of the classic design. All of this, plus the headphone and slave features took longer to design.

Comment

I just bought his first amp from a guy on Harmony Central, should get it soon. I'll post pics, you guys will not believe your eyes. I hope he's better at building amps than he was... but I wouldn't buy anything from him.

Pete

Comment

LOL- you bought Gus S' creature. Mine is nothing like that. I almost lost the deal, when I wouldn't order an amp without outsourced tradesman labour for the tolexing and cabinet work. Mine is the first of it's kind from him. It looks nothing like the stuff on his sight. The tones sold me, the cosmetics did not.

Comment

Not just the externals, but the internals too... his wiring looks pretty interesting. I'd love to see what the guts of yours sounds like.

Pete

Comment

Re: Fab Amp Metalhead review

Again, I agree with your comment Pete. My friend who is a tech at a well respected vintage/ boutique shop in Japan did the mods. I asked him if the wiring was messy. He smiled and said, 'Well, a little.' I asked if the parts were cheap. He said no, they were of good quality. He said the amp price was unvelievably low for the quality. The shop carries vintage Fender and Marshall, plus Bad cat, Krank, Plexi, Victoria, Mojave, GDS and has had Savage and Clark.

I mentioned the wiring to Rob and he said that it wasn't the first time he had heard this. I have seen his early wiring jobs and concur. He has done over 300 amps at this stage and although his wiring is possibly his shortcoming, he has come a long way since Gus' amp. My review is very honest.

I have a mid-fi level audiophile sound system and love playing guitar as a hobby. But in my mid 30's living in Japan, a high volume amp is not in the picture. At 5 watts, it is a little loud for Japanese style accomadations. It is not what you would expect to see for $2000. At $450 it is a very good value.

I would be happy to send you pictures of the inside and outside via attachment to your e-mail, if you wish.

Comment

I would love to see PICS. Please post some.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that Rob's gotten better at building... but from all the crap he flung on Harmony Central, hell would freeze over twice before I bought anything from him. James Peters and Rob used to get into it a lot, and James is a really nice guy and builds awesome amps. Heck, for that matter, Rob would argue and fight with damn near every amp builder that posted on Harmony Central. I think Doug Roccaforte coined the term "Fabortion" for his early amps.

One thing Fab could have done to give the amp more bottom end and a better tone would have been to replace that 8 watt Hammond output transformer with a 125ESE single ended 15 watt one. They are around $10 more retail - and have a much fuller sound. It's pretty much all I use in my custom amps.

But, if he delivered a good product at an even better price, then I'm glad for you. Post some clips and gut pics here on the JCF. Hopefully it's turret board construction... true point to point looks like a birds nest to me. I prefer how old HiWatts and Marshalls are built. It takes longer to build on a turret, but it looks nicer and is easier to service.

Pete

Comment

Hi Pete. I am aware of the internet battles between all of the players. It got very ugly.

One day I might switch out the transformer, but for now, if there is a size difference, it would not fit in my shoe box sized amp.

It is point to point. There is no turret board. He tried his darnedest to make it neat. There are way too many features to keep the guts clean.

I respect James Peters and Doug Roccaforte's work. i was close to going for a used Peters 10 watter. I am told it is the *best* distortion in the the business for the sound I like.

But, I can honestly put my hands out of the windows of my home and touch my neighbours houses. The walls are so thin that you can hear all that goes on in the next home. If I play too loud, the siding on my house rattles.

I will post pics later today. There are over 60 mails to sift through, with lots of photos. It is 6:50 am on Sunday morning and I need a coffee.

Comment

My wife could hear me outside playing through my 1/2 watt Gilmore Jr amp... and when I tested the 3 watt rackmount all tube amp I built Fritz here on the board, I could shake the walls with it. Tube amps are great, but for really low volume playing the modelling amps have a huge advantage.

If you need to cut the volume further and keep the distortion, let me know and I could build an attenuator for that amp in a hammond stompbox enclosure. I put the attenuation circuit in all of my under 15 watt amps so you can get power tube grind at any level.

Pete

Comment

Sorry, I haven't had time to sift through the e-mails from Rob, yet and this forum is only on my home computer and not at my office. The triode switch lets me get good grind at a low volume. It rewally comes alive at about 3 o'clock, which is too loud. but for now, I am using pedals and am so busy that I don't really have so much time to play. Off to work; my university is one hour away and it is getting hot in the part of japan.

Comment

I have wiring, chassis and completed shots of the head. Shoot me an e-mail if you want to see them. I don't want to bother opening a Photobucket account. babedo(at)hotmail.......

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X