Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best early EVH tone in a standard production pup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best early EVH tone in a standard production pup?

So I'm pretty sure that this has been beat to death, but I couldn't find it with a search.

I know tone is heavily reliant on the amp as well, but what will get me close assuming I'm playing through a Plexi or a JCM800?

What will get me close without having to drop 160 bones on a Seymour Duncan Custom shop?

Re: Best early EVH tone in a standard production pup?

I've heard a Duncan '59 gets somewhat close. Good luck

Comment

duncan custom or custom custom - in my opinion.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

IMHO the Custom Custom is a little closer than the Custom but the '59's voicing might be a bit closer than either. Wasn't Eddie's pup something like a very slightly overwound PAF? If my memory on that isn't faulty I kind of wonder if the Seth Lover might not be the closest production pup. The sound clips on the Duncan site certainly have that punchy articulate tone as compared to the others mentioned here.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Duncan Distortion dropped fairly low, Gibson Dirty Fingers dropped down fairly low, or a bridge humbucker from a mid-80's Kramer Striker 300ST like this:
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

im not really sure but seth lovers arent potted so i they might not be so great once you start cranking the gain

Comment

Re: Best early EVH tone in a standard production p *DELETED*

Post deleted by SeventhSon
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Re: Best early EVH tone in a standard production p

Who cares?

Comment

Re: Best early EVH tone in a standard production p

I have a Seth Lover in one of my Jacksons and indeed it has some problems with microphonics due to lack of potting. It's fine with high gain, the problem arises when you are playing VERY LOUD. So as long as you don't play at ear busting volumes, you'll be OK.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Wasn't Eddie's pup something like a very slightly overwound PAF?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I remember him saying in interviews back then. He said he had a PAF wound to his specs (whatever they were) and that he potted them in parafin wax (surfboard wax).
                    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

The Duncan custom shop EVH pickup is pretty close to what Eddie actually used. It's basically a 59 with ht adjustment screws on both coils. Holdsworth uses something very similar. Both Eddie and Allan wanted something that sounded similar to the old Gibson 335 neck pickup. They're surprisingly not very hot pickups. I own 2 vintage 59 double-screws that were wound to Holdsworth's specs and they are easily the best sounding pickups I ever owned. Super smooth and balanced sounding. Check out this clip:
                      http://www.fusionweb.dk/music/Drive2.mp3

Comment

i always had a lot of success with a gibson '57 classic with the cover left on it like a les paul. then again i was playing it through the greatest guitar on the planet.
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

If your a good enough player it won't matter. It's in the hands baby!!

-Jason

Comment

FWIW - a very low output bucker will get you closer than the Custom, or Custom Custom...the "famous" bucker in the striped guitars was actually rewound by EVH himself, and When Tom Anderson built the first hockey stick headstock neck for EVH ( to go on the red /white /black ) and put the guitar back together, he was horrified when he put a meter on the bucker and it gave no reading [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] He was convinced that he had somehow broken the pickup...the reality was that it was too low in output to register...soooo...

I've found as a whole the lower output pups work / sound waay better through my high gain amps...I've got 59' bridge in a hardtail GMW, with the pup lowered an 1/8" lower than usual and it cops a pretty reasonable EVH tone...don't forget to use your EVH fingers too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              He was convinced that he had somehow broken the pickup...the reality was that it was too low in output to register...soooo...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an urban legend unless he really did break a lead. even low output pups will read thousands of Ohms on a meter and most meters are capable of measuring single (or even fractions of) Ohms. Either: the pickup had a broken lead, the meter was fried, or someone's yanking your chain with this story. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Agree on the pup though. To my ears the Custcom Custom's voicing is about right but the output is waaaay too high.
                              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Working...
                              X