Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best early EVH tone in a standard production pup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best early EVH tone in a standard production p

The Duncan Custom/Custom is VERY similar to the Custom Shop '78 (EVH) pickup, and half the price. Both use the ALnico 2 magnets. I have heard some people get very close to Eddie's tone with a standard 59, even though the 59 has an Alnico 5 magnet. Plus, their eq curves are practically opposites. The 59 is scooped while the Custom/Custom has a big mid spike. Then of course, you have the Custom 5 which is basically a hotter 59, with a touch more bass.

In my opinion, you can get close to Eddie's tone with just about any PAF type pickup and take care of the rest with your amp settings. As far as duplicating Eddie's sound, don't bother. Get close, but give it your own twist. Just my $.02

Comment

Re: Best early EVH tone in a standard production p

[ QUOTE ]
      If your a good enough player it won't matter. It's in the hands baby!!

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]
      Yep...agreed.
      Finding this and that piece of hardware and etc is only small portion of duplicating his sound/tone and indeed is an important aspect of it.
      However, the bulk of the magic is in the hands...technique folks.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
      X